American Rolls Royce (Ghost, PI & PII)

alsancle

7 hours ago, alsancle said:

A friend and I were talking today that the cheapest place to buy certain cars is actually at auction.    Mark Hyman paid 75k all in at RM Amelia for this and now has it for sale for 99k.    I saw it in person and it is very attractive.

https://hymanltd.com/vehicles/6675-1927-rolls-royce-phantom-i-avon-sedan/

1927 Rolls-Royce Phantom I Avon Sedan by Brewster -

Very attractive car.  I'm not a Rolls guy, but I like that.  (No, no, I don't have space, just ask my wife.)

9 minutes ago, Peter Zobian said:

UNFORTUNATELY, All classic Rolls-Royces (except Silver Ghosts) are down in price right now, with even open convertible coupe Phantom 1

cars bringing no more than $100K.

Peter,  were you able to sell your car?   A very nice regent coupe. 

A RR PI is a beautiful car, though what we seem to be seeing is not a lack of interest in them, but a lack of interest in paying top dollars for anything but a good looking car, well restored car, well restored older done car, or something with serious Concours potential - ie. the boxcar school of design cars is/will suffer.  I have not been able to put my finger on the exact nature of the problem - perhaps: the Club to some degree lost focus on the earlier car, they are complex cars and a bear to keep truly driveable (but the flip side of the coin is they are pretty easy to maintain to just  move them around the garage), the parts are a bit of a pain and expensive (but not totally egregiously priced either), and..., but the flip side of the coin is that they are wonderful drivers, magnificent engineering, they are welcome at any Concours event, and ....  

Peter Zobian had a really great car and very attractive - there use to be an adage though that grey cars do not win Concours events and go largely unnoticed - Pebble Beach has surprisingly had two that Best of Shows that have contradicted this, but equally just depends what were their competition on the field that day. What I particularity liked about Peter's RR was that it had magnificent woodwork in it - truly stunning.    

The above said with the car we are discussing, the standard sedan is probably more attractive than the formalized version given awkward belt molding treatment.  I hope if finds a great owner, sees some shows, and ....

04.jpg?wtrmk10nw

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

On 5/16/2020 at 8:23 AM, John_Mereness said:

A RR PI is a beautiful car, though what we seem to be seeing is not a lack of interest in them, but a lack of interest in paying top dollars for anything but a good looking car, well restored car, well restored older done car, or something with serious Concours potential - ie. the boxcar school of design cars is/will suffer.  I have not been able to put my finger on the exact nature of the problem - perhaps: the Club to some degree lost focus on the earlier car, they are complex cars and a bear to keep truly driveable (but the flip side of the coin is they are pretty easy to maintain to just  move them around the garage), the parts are a bit of a pain and expensive (but not totally egregiously priced either), and..., but the flip side of the coin is that they are wonderful drivers, magnificent engineering, they are welcome at any Concours event, and ....  

I can only speak for myself, of course, but I'm less drawn to Rolls-Royces because they're usually really formal cars and because I fear that they are really hard to keep on the road.  They're cool to see, but the typical formality and concerns about maintenance are a deterrent.

4 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

I can only speak for myself, of course, but I'm less drawn to Rolls-Royces because they're usually really formal cars and because I fear that they are really hard to keep on the road.  They're cool to see, but the typical formality and concerns about maintenance are a deterrent.

Orin you wimp.   Anything can be kept on the road with an unlimited amount of time and money!

I like them because they check some of my stupid boxes:

1.  Super expensive when new.

2.  High construction quality.

3.  Custom coachwork.

And I've loved the radiator shell and hoods since I was a kid.    But you do articulate correctly why they don't really bring big money.  A shame.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Orin you wimp.   Anything can be kept on the road with an unlimited amount of time and money!

I like them because they check some of my stupid boxes:

1.  Super expensive when new.

2.  High construction quality.

3.  Custom coachwork.

And I've loved the radiator shell and hoods since I was a kid.    But you do articulate correctly why they don't really bring big money.  A shame.

The trick is buying the right car............a well sorted Rolls needs nothing for twenty thousand miles except oil, gas, tires, and batteries. The only catch is 99.96 percent of them are not well sorted.

So many people are afraid of them, they offer probably the best value for your dollar on a closed car today. In the last few months some very nice cars traded hands for very reasonable prices.........the Ghost (Springfield) is also a fantastic car for the money.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

The trick is buying the right car............a well sorted Rolls needs nothing for twenty thousand miles except oil, gas, tires, and batteries. The only catch is 99.96 percent of them are not well sorted.

So many people are afraid of them, they offer probably the best value for your dollar on a closed car today. In the last few months some very nice cars traded hands for very reasonable prices.........the Ghost (Springfield) is also a fantastic car for the money.

I agree as to built quality, engineering, drive-ability, and ..., plus if when you want to take one out to a show you are always welcome to do so. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

I'd bet you'd hear the opposite view from across the pond...

Yes..........but we have both in the garage........so no one can accuse me of dumping on the English chassis cars. Born and raised in Springfield I admit to a bias........but I also admit to being correct. 😎

• Like 1

For somebody in America,  a Springfield Rolls has a lot of advantages.   If I lived in England,  the same would be true for the Derby built cars.     The whole Springfield thing was a very interesting experiment, and we are lucky to have the 8 to 10 years of cars they built.

• Like 1

Apologies if I have mentioned before but this reminds me think of seeing the late Alan Swift arrive to one of our local shows in the late 70s in his Springfield, sensing an audience, he looked around at the field, gestured towards postwar cars and said "My God. I thought they burned them all".  It was perfectly timed.  He was from my hometown and did drive his RR often.  

On 5/14/2020 at 6:52 AM, alsancle said:

Another Huntington that sold in Paris a ways back.   I sort of like the colors.

rr_phantom_i_2.jpg

rr_phantom_i_3.jpg

rr_phantom_i_1.jpg

This car has one of the best classic rally/touring car looks I have seen for a while. The knobby sidewalls, roofrack, and stone guards make me want to long distance tour this over any dirt road I can find. It would be exceptional for a classic France to Africa tour (or any other for that matter)!

Edited by Sharps45-70 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sharps45-70 said:

This car has one of the best classic rally/touring car looks I have seen for a while. The knobby sidewalls, roofrack, and stone guards make me want to long distance tour this over any dirt road I can find. It would be exceptional for a classic France to Africa tour (or any other for that matter)!

The tires or Denman brand - no longer in production unfortunately

• 1 month later...

This should be an interesting car to discuss.  I sort of like the modifications.  Based on the scribble in the trunk I'm sure they are going to claim Darrin.  Would be interesting what documentation there is for that.   I can hear my friend John saying that white cars are impossible to sell ringing in my ears.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/mt20/the-mitosinka-collection/lots/r0011-1930-rolls-royce-phantom-i-newmarket-convertible-sedan-by-brewster/919143

https://rmsothebys-cache.azureedge.net/a/e/d/a/1/2/aeda12eeb1290e370c6b63923d4fe5eabbbf6e90.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

47 minutes ago, alsancle said:

This should be an interesting car to discuss.  I sort of like the modifications.  Based on the scribble in the trunk I'm sure they are going to claim Darrin.  Would be interesting what documentation there is for that.   I can hear my friend John saying that white cars are impossible to sell ringing in my ears.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/mt20/the-mitosinka-collection/lots/r0011-1930-rolls-royce-phantom-i-newmarket-convertible-sedan-by-brewster/919143

https://rmsothebys-cache.azureedge.net/a/e/d/a/1/2/aeda12eeb1290e370c6b63923d4fe5eabbbf6e90.jpg

Well, my first comment is - that needs painted a different color.

58 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Actually, other than the color (which is WHITE and does ZIPPO for it - you know ZIPPO the other Marx brother that was nonexistent), my comments are going to be most kind.   It appears a pretty decent car and could be made to be quite spiffy.  The stupid Darrin emblems in the sidemount holders need to go away.   Also, needs door check straps so the door handles do not hit each other when front and rear door open.   There is a wire off the generator (no longer recall the wiring diagram as to what that does).  I dislike the taillights brackets being so long.  And, I am not sure you get maximum top folding potential with the rear most bow at that angle - I do not mind canted bow either, but a little less canted may give the car a far better look.  I probably would also remake he little piece of of trim in the rear quarter next to rear rear passenger's shoulder (and do not really like the extra wood via door pulls on rear doors, but then if changed you need probably to reupholster.  

Actually looks pretty good under hood.

Do I get a set of keys with it - noticed there is not a set in the ignition lock ? 

Any chance I have a period picture back in the first 250 pages of the car possibly being a Hollywood film rental vehicle ? 

• Like 1