American Rolls Royce (Ghost, PI & PII)

alsancle

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like a very desirable car, I hope it finds a loving home with somebody who wants it for the joy it brings rather than the value but I guess that is unavoidable.

I thought Brewster had closed their doors by 1933, I have a liquidation auction catalogue for Brewster somewhere, I will have to dig it out

• Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 1:42 PM, motoringicons said:

Here's a great one that will be auctioned on Sunday. I remember seeing this car and it was a wonderful car. It was shown at Preservation at Pebble Beach.  I think it was Mark Smith's car? 

1933 Rolls-Royce Phantom I Riviera Town Car for Sale at Auction - Mecum Auctions

On 5/9/2024 at 1:37 PM, Keith Ward said:

It looks like a very desirable car, I hope it finds a loving home with somebody who wants it for the joy it brings rather than the value but I guess that is unavoidable.

I thought Brewster had closed their doors by 1933, I have a liquidation auction catalogue for Brewster somewhere, I will have to dig it out

GZ and Keith 

that is quite a car. I wish I could be a player for it, wrong time for me. I have stared at this example many times as my favorite town car against which all others are measured. RR along with coachbuilder nailed it. IMG_5268.jpeg.a7eb302b2e3dc13d5e5dc8e09e231cdd.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, edinmass said:

I watched the car sell at auction last year………hammer was just over 200k. Wonderful car……..

Ed, I frequently think about cars as if they were alive and had a personality. That town car at $200,000 has the Moxie to pull onto a pristine lawn next to a car that might sell for 10 times the price, and when they’re next to each other, cause the $2 million car to wilt and defer to that Rolls-Royce. 

everything about its proportions looks perfect to me. 

let me go look under my couch cushions…..

The red seems a little bright although the sunlight may magnify that. To remove the garnish mouldings and not replace is cruel and unjust punishment. I wonder if this was just a re-dye job (the slight asymmetric front seat pleats seem to match in before and after photos...). Still a lot of work at the offer price to again reverse....

Edited by prewarnut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I remember his posts, including that thread. Thank you. It looks like the garnish moulding is two pieces on the door and one framing the dash. These could be remade but cutting out the inlay with an X-acto knife (and not cutting oneself) would take all year - for one side! I sure hope someone stored them but I suppose they are going to be "reworn" on another car out there.

• Like 1

I know absolutely nothing about Rolls. However, this car seen at the Greenbrier here. Had an unusual history of travel. With the car being re-bodied in the 60’s. Did this particular coach builder help the car? Or was it a detrimental move? There seems to be a lot of nuances with these cars that can be confusing to folks like myself.  

IMG_0585.jpeg

IMG_0652.jpeg

• Like 1

It was almost certainly shipped as a chassis since RR of America never built bodies...in fact, RR in England didn't either at the time. That said, I've no idea what the original body was but many of these chassis have had multiple bodies on them. I'd say it would be worth more with a period body ... if it was intact. Another point is that many RR cars were limousines (a much higher percentage than you'd guess from current car shows). When they were traded in they were nearly impossible to sell so very often more "sporty" open bodies were fitted. Eventually RR of America did this themselves. They couldn't refuse to take a car that expensive in trade despite the fact that they were nearly impossible to sell.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JV Puleo said:

It was almost certainly shipped as a chassis since RR of America never built bodies...in fact, RR in England didn't either at the time. That said, I've no idea what the original body was but many of these chassis have had multiple bodies on them. I'd say it would be worth more with a period body ... if it was intact. Another point is that many RR cars were limousines (a much higher percentage than you'd guess from current car shows). When they were traded in they were nearly impossible to sell so very often more "sporty" open bodies were fitted. Eventually RR of America did this themselves. They couldn't refuse to take a car that expensive in trade despite the fact that they were nearly impossible to sell.

Thank you Joe. I read the description and was a bit lost. The coach built cars are a mystery to me. 

4 hours ago, motoringicons said:

One nice and one great Rolls Royce PIs SOLD at the Mecum Auction on Sunday: 

1933P1.jpg

1928P1.jpg

The Riviera is an Ascot with enclosed passenger compartment.   I would expect it to bring a lot more money than the other towncar.