Saw this poor 1964 Dodge Dart convertible today....

keiser31

Guy driving along in his 1964 Dodge Dart convertible, enjoying the sunshine when "WHAM"....95 year old guy in a Dodge Ram smacks him from behind. Evidently, the old guy said he just couldn't get his foot to the brake in time....even the passenger side door buckled at the top....

Picture 006.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 014.jpg

Picture 018.jpg

That's a shame.  Insurance wise they will probably total it.  It may be able to be pulled quite a bit back into shape on a machine though if the guy buys it back and decides to fix it. 

I thought originally the Dodge truck didn't make out too bad but then upon a close look the fender is buldged and doesn't look like it got hit,  so it may have some pretty good damage underneath the sheetmetal.  

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Mike36 said:

If your 95, you do not belong on the road, period.

He DEFINITELY should NOT have been on the road. No license, no insurance....95 YEARS OLD! Of course, I will be FINE at 95....

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Oh I missed that part about 95 years old on the first read through. Big trucks and SUV should be driven with extra caution. Locally an older fellow driving a crew cab dually 1 ton Chevy made a reckless pass on a small 2 lane road and killed a bicyclist.

Years ago my wife's red '66 Dodge Dart GT convertible was "T-Boned" by a 30-something dingbat bimbo who ran a stop sign with her brand new full-sized Buick. Irresponsibility isn't limited to age groups. 

4 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Both drivers are fine.

Now I can say something about the cars, the truck isn't to bad off, in half the time the book gives I could redo the nose. The Dart will take days to straighten and who knows how long to find the parts. Wouldn't even think about it if it was a hard top, just hate to see a clasic ragtop wrecked.

Guest Skyking

I think the first thing I would have gotten rid of on that Dart was the license plate.  Too bad,  such a shame!

10 hours ago, Digger914 said:

Now I can say something about the cars, the truck isn't to bad off, in half the time the book gives I could redo the nose. The Dart will take days to straighten and who knows how long to find the parts. Wouldn't even think about it if it was a hard top, just hate to see a clasic ragtop wrecked.

Luckily, there are a lot of that era Dart around here, so parts may not be a large issue.

12 hours ago, Skyking said:

I think the first thing I would have gotten rid of on that Dart was the license plate.  Too bad,  such a shame!

Almost looks to be a custom plate.

Keiser,

Upon your recommendation, Mary and I stopped by the Big M, Chrysler yard in Williams Ca., as we made our way south to Palm Springs in March. I just like to go to old car wrecking yards, and I'm fortunate that Mary likes it as much as I do. Some of my friends say that I'm blessed, and I can't argue with that assessment! Anyway about half of the town had been flooded out, and the storefront where the owner kept his engines was closed. We finally ran the guy down, it wasn't too hard since he was driving a nice 1959 Plymouth Furry convertible. He claimed that his engines were a total loss! He didn't have time for us, but said that he would be maintaining the yard as best he can for as long as he can. Sorry if this seems to hijack to thread, but I'm sure that this would be one of your sources for parts. If you hadn't heard I thought that you might appreciate the update.  

3 minutes ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Keiser,

Upon your recommendation, Mary and I stopped by the Big M, Chrysler yard in Williams Ca., as we made our way south to Palm Springs in March. I just like to go to old car wrecking yards, and I'm fortunate that Mary likes it as much as I do. Some of my friends say that I'm blessed, and I can't argue with that assessment! Anyway about half of the town had been flooded out, and the storefront where the owner kept his engines was closed. We finally ran the guy down, it wasn't too hard since he was driving a nice 1959 Plymouth Furry convertible. He claimed that his engines were a total loss! He didn't have time for us, but said that he would be maintaining the yard as best he can for as long as he can. Sorry if this seems to hijack to thread, but I'm sure that this would be one of your sources for parts. If you hadn't heard I thought that you might appreciate the update.  

Wow! Thanks very much for the update. I had not heard of those troubles. Glad the owner finished his convertible and it didn't get trashed in his yard. Thanks again for letting me know. My honey likes to go to wrecking yards with me, too. Lucky us!

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Wow, if I knew anyone was passing through Williams, I would have advised, be sure to Stop and get some of the Famous Louie Bread at Loius Cairos Italian Restaurant.

http://louiscairos.com/  ,  Menue, http://louiscairos.com/menu/

You'll notice there is a difference between the Garlic Bread, and the Louis Bread. Louis Bread has about a quarter inch layer of garlic on it. Anyone else tried it?

BREAD

• FULL ORDER OF GARLIC BREAD
    $7, Dipped in garlic butter

• FULL ORDER OF LOUIS BREAD
    $9, Roasted garlic

Quote from a previous post,

" Insurance wise they will probably total it.  It may be able to be pulled quite a bit back into shape on a machine though if the guy buys it back and decides to fix it. "

The term "buy it back " is not exactly correct. 

As it seems to be the truck's fault, that makes it a third party insurance company claim. As such, they can not take it from the owner unless he allows them to do so.

Their liability in this case is to pay for the repairs up to the value of the car or to pay the decreased value of the car caused by the accident if the owner chooses to keep it and not repair it.

They also have to pay all costs incurred by the accident,(towing, storage, loss of use of the car or rental of the same type of car and  personal injury etc,)

If the owner chooses to repair it and the cost exceeds the value of the car, he must pay the additional costs.

However, if the claim is made to the owners ins. co., that company has the right to total it and take possession, or pay the value of the car, less the salvage value.

The only thing in question is the value of the car.

Different state law may conflict with this post. I am not a lawyer, so take this as my opinion only of Ma. state law only.

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)