He better take the offer in the mid teens!

auburnseeker

I run across ads like this on the web.  I wonder how legit the mid teens offers are?  For a non running 40 Super coupe.  Mid teens seems like a pretty solid offer. 

Seller is expecting 20-30 according to the ad,  but won't come out and put a price on it. 

https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/6190981649.html

1940 Buick Special - in storage for past 25 years (Manchester)

1940 Buick Super 56B
2 Door Coupe

approx 76k miles. Driven into storage 25 years ago and been sitting since. Pictures do not do it justice as it has 25 years of dust on it. Ran perfect but sitting for 25 years will make it need some service to get running. 2 door

Body is flawless. Interior is near perfect. Estate sale will be to a collector and not a flipper. No lowball offers. 

Already have offers in Mid teens.

Nada guide have listed from $20k - 30k
http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1940/Buick/50-Super/2-Door-Sport-Coupe/Values

100808_4gxUN3dhckj_600x450.jpg
  • Like 1

He forgot this part of the NADA page -

High Retail Value
This vehicle would be in excellent condition overall. It could be a completely restored or an extremely well-maintained original vehicle showing very minimal wear. The exterior paint, trim and mechanics are not in need of reconditioning. The interior would be in excellent condition. Some vehicles may be considered “matching numbers” vehicles.

This car IS NOT high retail value!

• Like 2

The barn find look, only works, when it looks like a barn find. That looks like a dusty car put in storage because someone wanted out of sight, out of mind. Can not tell the real condition of the car to put a value on it. In this case, a bath and getting it running. Would do wonders for the sale.  

• Like 2

I did sell my 39 original paint though it really needed to be redone special conv't for near the bottom of his nada wish list.  Though that was a nearly rust free all original conv't running good but needing a going over to be put on the road.  It had amazing diecast chrome on it and a good top.  I thought i was doing well for that. 

" Estate sale will be to a collector and not a flipper. No lowball offers."  Maybe I'm a bit too thick-skinned, but I've never been offended by a lowball offer.  I used to sell boats (among other things), and my mentor, who was a salesman par excellence, drummed into me that there is no such thing as a bad offer.  He said that an offer of any magnitude, was merely the beginning of the "dance".  Over the years, I've found that to be true; however, in the game of "wheeling and dealing", attitude makes all the difference.  Folks with the "take it or leave it" attitude tend to irritate other folks.  I've managed to ramble beyond the purpose of this thread, and I apologize.  Oh, by the way, why would an "estate sale" care or even try to know about a buyer's plans for his/her purchase.  Such high-toned B.S. tends to annoy me.

I agree with Auburnseeker that a "Mid teens" offer is appropriate for a non-running vehicle that has sat in a Connecticut barn for a quarter century.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Grog

He not only wants to sell the car but is trying to recover the cost of storage for 25 years!  He also believes there is gold dust in that dirt. I believe that is a result of seeing to many TV shows that hype dirt on a barn find makes it move valuable. 

His link to the NADA guide either proves he's crazy or inept. he must believe "collectors" are people who spend thousands more than something is worth because they never plan to sell it and have too much money to start.

I agree with Joe. Barrett Jackson money. I looked at a '59 Thunderbird that was stored in someones backyard for 30 years. The car was literally resting on the floorboards in mud with every body panel rotted about 6" up. The interior which was white from the factory, was now black from mildew. I don't even think it would qualify as a parts car. Well the owner wanted $25K for the car because he "saw one just like it at the Barrett Jackson auction".

• Like 2

I am taking donations of dust filled vacuum cleaner bags and have left my Wife specific instructions on how to make my cars barn finds. I could probably use another four bags.

Parked 25 years ago, 1993. Why, I have an image of the bid overalled gent, still reeling from the depths of the depression now.. If he died at 85 he would have been 60 when he parked it. He should have had the clarity of mind not to do something stupid. He'd have to be closer to 70 for that, like me! And no sales to flippers.

In 1993 that car had fairly significant value and was a popular model in the Buick Club. Too bad the owner shoved it in a box and obviously neglected it right up to his last breath.

Oh, if anyone hears of me dying, my Wife has a list of very low prices to move all of my stuff fast. I want the cars gone and her life to be happy. Too many people have talked their heirs into believing the values they put on their old toys. I have also warned her not to listen to some Philadelphia lawyer who watches B&J auctions. It's the B&S that counts and that comes from me.

(Where's that lawyer who recently posted a request help pricing a car and then put a price at the end of the request? He was funny.)

Bernie