My 1957 75R - Big Gray

lancemb

All right side glass and trim installed.  Rear glass trim cleaned and installed.  I had to fabricate new clips for the corner pieces, as they were all rusted or broke off when removed.  I made them out of an old piece of stainless trim and stainless hardware.
Antenna installed and wired.

Few things left on my list:

Cut and buff trunk lid

Install tar paper stuff on underside of lid

Install hood and trunk lid

Repair and polish all stainless side trim and portholes 

Reseal transmission pan

Exhaust guy needs to tweak the rear end of system to fit better near bumper. It’s “ok” but it’s rubbing on the bumper brackets.

D9853208-812B-47F7-A4FC-642C01678D89.jpeg

48BCBFF9-6CFE-41D6-A979-89CD204670FF.jpeg

F6E36A5E-9B54-4583-8BD1-4C79578D0C1B.jpeg

• Like 8

Another item I was sweating bullets about…grafting new sound deadener into the trunk lid cutouts.  I didn’t have a choice to save the old stuff, and it was already shredded wheat when it got here.  There is still a flap missing in the center where the lid turns down…I missed the boat on measuring how much I needed.

Next!

1E6472AA-003A-4D68-BA62-4F0329557A1A.jpeg

• Like 8

4 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

This is gonna be at Lisle correct?

What's next after this is back to Lance?

The plan is to get it finished for Lisle.  After I get it back I'll finish adding the rest of the trim, and finish the trunk and interior.  Also I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the tires I ordered a couple months ago come in soon!  I've got some fresh red wheels and nice hubcaps to go on it.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Smartin said:

I'm waiting on the same ones for mine.  They estimated January for a ship time.

Probably on a container ship off the west coast.  Radials from Diamonback are no better.  i initially opted for their Auburn line, but those are struck in shipment getting older and older.  I settled for the Diamondback one tires which are horrid.  I will post a review in another post if allowed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Safely back home!  Next week I should have a couple days to start adding trinkets.  I probably won't get interior done until late winter or early spring, but have trunk, trim, power seat track and some small interior items and preparation to do before then. 

20211118_182420.jpg.727a52b821855f0f14532812f265d98e.jpg

• Like 11

On 10/24/2021 at 12:37 AM, Smartin said:

Another item I was sweating bullets about…grafting new sound deadener into the trunk lid cutouts.  I didn’t have a choice to save the old stuff, and it was already shredded wheat when it got here.  There is still a flap missing in the center where the lid turns down…I missed the boat on measuring how much I needed.

Next!

1E6472AA-003A-4D68-BA62-4F0329557A1A.jpeg

Amazing work. So beautiful. Were did you get the sound deadener? It looks like the original material, I would say. 

On 11/20/2021 at 7:15 AM, EmTee said:

I'm wondering about the cutout in the fender behind the rearmost ventiport?  Does it provide access to something associated with the radio antenna?

I can find no good reason at all for this.  I was studying this today while working on the car and there is nothing of consequence to be accessed there as far as I can tell!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been working on putting trim on, and for the most part it's gone well.  It looks like I'll have enough clips to finish without buying more.  I'd already gathered up all my used clips I'd stripped off other 57's over years and had them ready to go.  Some I'd had cad plated, some I stripped and painted.  Here is a row of the large ones OEM I'd refurbished that are used for sweepspear behind the door.  Overall more than half the clips will be OEM.

20211123_084537.jpg.9dd9e029e3249d4b41577a91978361dc.jpg

I got the hood ornament and letters on yesterday.

20211122_202227.jpg.0c5dda98f6655a865b53bf82990152c9.jpg

I am now working on the sweepspear and emblems.  I matched the paint on an original Tangerine Red wheel for the sweepspear inserts. 

The Clips for the side emblems fit very tightly in the holes, so the holes must be filed out a bit after bodywork in order to get them to fit properly.  Here is one side after clips have been inserted, prior to pushing the emblems in.

20211123_140330.jpg.5736fd5e2f6e73beef59ee32d14b0848.jpg

Tomorrow I hope to finish the trim and emblems.

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, lancemb said:

I am now working on the sweepspear and emblems.  I matched the paint on an original Tangerine Red wheel for the sweepspear inserts. 

I have been searching for the correct paint code for Tangerine Red but has not had any succes. Since you are matching from the original I guess it's not available? 

52 minutes ago, 57Century said:

I have been searching for the correct paint code for Tangerine Red but has not had any succes. Since you are matching from the original I guess it's not available? 

No it is not, but it's pretty much identical to Spectramaster RS675.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smartin said:

I even reamed the holes out before I laid on the paint...hopefully it wasn't too bad to open them back up again.

No, just needed a lot of care handling the file.  I added some putty at every hole too to help seal it off and prevent rust forming where bare metal may have been reached. 

There is just NO leeway the way those clips fit, and if you force them the emblems won't go on without pounding, which is not good!

I wonder if they had to do this when new even...

• Like 1