Custom 63 at local car show

Chimera

Wow, very cool rod! The color is awesome and the way the tail light are integrated is very unusual but very clean - well done!

Interior looks also noble, only the rims is not my gusto. All in all, a very succesfull car, congrats! :wub:

OK Riviera People:  Several things I really like about this car.

1. It's a 64 Riviera.

2. The color is sensational.

3. The quality of the build is also sensational.

What I don't like???

1. The LS swap. Hey man, it's not a Chev.   The original engine and trans built correctly will perform more than adequately.

2. The customizing is basically futal because if the quality of build that went into this car was directed in the direction of stock it would have really come off better. (just me now)   Mitch

That's the nicest 63 custom I have seen. There have been a couple of early Rivieras with LS engines built

with the engine disguised to look like a nailhead. They were painted Buick Green with nailhead valve covers attached to the top of the

LS valve covers with a dummy air cleaner installed on top. You could walk right by the engine at a car show and not notice what they had

done.That's what I would do with the engine if it was mine. The way the tail lights were done on this car is one of the slickest custom touches

I've ever seen on an early Riviera.

The question becomes did he pull out a running nailhead to install an LS motor? Nailheads have been hotrod motors since before the Riviera was introduced. I have seen several nice Riviera bodies at swap meets that someone took the nailhead out of for another project. I keep reading here that nailheads are getting rare, expensive and hard to build correctly. Been said more than once these are not small block Chevys and not just any machine shop or home builder can put one together right. So, if I bought a nice Riviera body to build without a motor and trans, I would not hesitate to drop and LS and overdrive right in. Be the same, or maybe less money than original.

• Like 1

I agree with Streetman. If I could go poof and turn my running nail into a LS with overdrive it would happen immediately. They run so good, great mileage, and dressed properly look great, and are fantastic engines with tremendous power potential.

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:48 AM, 1965rivgs said:

Where are the tail lights?

Tom

Great question Tom!!!

I couldn't see them either until Gabriel posted the close-up WITH the arrows!

I agree, it does seem well done, but, as others have said, why not a Nailhead?

Just found this article about this 63 Riv while seeking for "Autometer American Muscle Gauges"... Quite interesting ;)

As a "purist" of original interiors, I must admit, the one of this 63 is very very well done... the wood applications are gorgeous, seat covers fit well to the theme, only the steering wheel is (only my opinion!) a little bit too "modern" or too shiny with this big center cap. For myself I had chosen something more slim and "woody"...but again, all in all a very hot and nice ride I would like to see in my garage :wub: ...even with a LS :lol:  

https://www.good-guys.com/hotnews/?p=13518

Edited by Schmiddy
add content (see edit history)

6 hours ago, jsgun said:

Do you have an other pics of the dash? I just realized there's Autometer American Muscle gauges in the car, and I'm wanting to that with my 64 someday.

You can find more photos here:
http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/listing/1963/buick/riviera/1498903
and here:
http://uniclassiccars.com/buick/185547-1963-buick-riviera-pro-touring-lead-slead-custom.html

1963_buick_riviera_ppg_dream_car_09-800x533.jpg

1963_Buick_Riviera_027.jpg

Edited by Schmiddy
ad link (see edit history)

Just now, RivNut said:

I don't like the four "bug eyes" in the one pod.  I like this set up better.  Including a clock and tach at the bottom of the speedometer.

594a8d2a42921_Galensdash1965Riviera.jpg.8fe119ebdce54b32bf7d488f865b99db.jpg

Here's a picture of the car.  1965 Gran Sport (authenticated by LX matching engine etc) The chrome spear down the side and all of the emblems are airbrushed on.  If you look very closely, you can see Buick "ventiports" in the side spear.594a8df02d9dd_GalensRiviera.jpg.bbe1b298a1c459c984b27609c27a45ac.jpg

12 hours ago, jsgun said:

Do you have an other pics of the dash? I just realized there's Autometer American Muscle gauges in the car, and I'm wanting to that with my 64 someday.

Yes, I love those gauges too.  I'm in the same boat, but I'd like to put them in my Mustang.  The prices are pretty out there, though, as you said....Too many more "important" things to do haha

They are a little bug eyed, but the brushed aluminum really works with the dash. I personally would like to see the gauges in the quad housing rotated, so that the black numbered area all match up into a circle pattern, like the main gauge. I'm sure they'd custom make them, but I suspect the price would hit a few thousand.

• 6 months later...
On 6/18/2017 at 7:01 PM, lrlforfun said:

OK Riviera People:  Several things I really like about this car.

1. It's a 64 Riviera.

2. The color is sensational.

3. The quality of the build is also sensational.

What I don't like???

1. The LS swap. Hey man, it's not a Chev.   The original engine and trans built correctly will perform more than adequately.

2. The customizing is basically futal because if the quality of build that went into this car was directed in the direction of stock it would have really come off better. (just me now)   Mitch

Mitch, I would Agree with your observations. Customizing a classic like the Riviera is a challenge to top what was original. On the other hand it is. Free country so he can decorate his “chariot” any way he likes.

Seems as though Riviera owners like the 63 cast aluminum turbine wheel covers quite a bit. The Riviera owners have also demonstrated they m I g h t have deep pockets, but they certainly have short arms.

OK Bob: Glad great minds think alike. I'm referring to your and mine of course!

Now, i happen to have a set of UNUSED wire caps still in the box. Would someone pay a grand for them? I seriously doubt it.  Actually, I have several sets from wow to, it sure would help that 'ol Riv.   They are  not valuable at all. The turbines? Find a matched set in mint condition, yeah might be worth more .  Who knows because at the time they're offered there may or may not be someone out there who wants/needs them at any cost.   Mitch

Love the resto-mod look except for that steering wheel.  Always thought those steering wheels looked tacky on any car they are put on.  Also while I love the wood veneer done on the console, not loving it around the gauges.  Seems like its just too much wood there. 

Other than that, I'm sure this turns off the old-timers, this is my kind of build.