Reproduction Corvair Parts Source?

Hey Guys,

I stumbled across a nice little '66 Corvair right here in the desert that I might pick up. I'm curious how the reproduction market is for these cars? Like seat upholstery, trim, etc. I know there is great coverage most '60's cars provided they aren't too obscure. Just wondering if there are enough Corvair enthusiasts to drive the market?

Greg

10 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

Just wondering if there are enough Corvair enthusiasts to drive the market?

There are plenty

Seems like they are not car guys but they'd rather be called Corvair guys   :)  I had the impression they are frugal.  IDK

Years ago, Clarks Corvair in Mass? was the place for everything.  I don't know if they still exist, or even why I did go there or buy stuff, I forget ..

Clark's Corvair is still around and is a wonderful place to buy parts.  It's always my first stop and they rarely disappoint.  I've also bought from California Corvairs, which has also been good.  Parts availability is a lot better for my Corvair than it is for my Buicks or my Dart, so if you want a Corvair, don't let parts availability keep you away.  Do your research, however, because Corvair values are pretty low, so buying a nicer car upfront is usually the best decision.  When I bought mine 10 years ago, I did not buy a very good one and it's like driving a submarine I'm so underwater in it.  I've learned a lot about Corvairs and had a good time, so I'm not too upset.  It's a good thing I do most of my own work.

• Like 1

So I'm not a car guy? That sounds insulting! Corvair owner since 1976. 

Drive the market? Cars are meant to be driven. If you are in the old car hobby to make money, good luck.:)

Corvair owners were frugal back in the 60s and 70s when they were used cars (see discussion of used cars vs AACA people in other threads). Just like all used cars, people didn't want to over invest in a $50 car.

Now people spend big bucks to restore/modify/drive Corvairs.

We are the affordable antique car. And lots of online and local help is available. I bet on most days there are more people posting on Corvair forums than all the forums on this AACA site. VERY active group. Very friendly too, unless you show up with a bad attitude!:D

I'm surprised you did not Google Corvair vendors and forums before asking here. 

And don't forget Raffee in Oklahoma for mechanical parts also.

15 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

Very friendly too, unless you show up with a bad attitude!

I'm surprised you did not Google Corvair vendors and forums before asking here.

I'm on a dozen different forums. Why in the world wouldn't I ask here?

39 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

So I'm not a car guy?

Not intended that way at all.  What I meant was no different than the old saying in my area, that Corvette guys/gals are :

"corvette guys/gals" more than they prefer the car guy title.  Kind of a way to be "brand Proud" ??

Have had a gaggle of 'vairs including a Corsa 'vert that was a killer autocross car and a Fitch Sprint with a turbo. Think a 'vair on trombones is about the most beautiful sound imaginable, almost as good as a Jag with Bananas. Last one was less than a decade ago but the AC was always problematic.

Corvairs are a hoot!  They are affordable, easy to work on, and fun to drive.  As others have said, Clarks is the primary source for parts, followed by California Corvair Parts.  The Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg, VA is a great source for used parts.  

There is also a ton of support on the Corvair Center forum: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/list.php?1

I have owned many antique cars throughout the years, but none of them receive the love and attention that my '66 Monza gets.  

For the money, there is not a better car for someone wanting to get into the hobby.

I have owned 25 Corvairs over the past 20 years so obviously I like them pretty well LOL.  As others have said, Clarks is the premier Corvair parts supplier.  Corvair Underground used to be probably second but not even sure Lon Wall is still involved.  Original Parts Group is releasing a Corvair catalog very soon that will probably be very useful as well.

Corvairs are one of those cars much like the Edsel - received bad press early in it's life and has struggled to overcome the unearned reputation.  Corvair folks are like most other car enthusiast as they are passionate about their cars.  My only issue with most Corvair owners is that they seldom socialize with non Corvair groups - seldom do you see one at any show other than a Corvair only group.  I think this has hurt the general car scene's perception of the Corvair.  They really are great cars once you play with them for a while

Bob

• Like 1

The anti-social stigma came from back in the 70s/80s when if a Corvair showed up at a show, the owner had to endure hours of listening to people say "Ralph Nader took those off the road", " That car is unsafe", "Those were recalled, why wasn't this one?", "I wouldn't be caught dead in one, wait maybe I would be dead"  and other asinine statements.  That nose in the air attitude of people at other car shows wears a car guy out pretty quick. Harrumph, used cars, get away from the true classics.

So we silently left the other shows and clubs and had a great time (social, fellowship, tech sessions, tours, etc.) with "our kind"! 

Now the others have wised up and are starting to see the Corvair for the great engineered car it is. :D

In 13 hours you have had 7 owners reply to your request for information. On the forums you could have had 7 replies in the first hour. Or a Google of Corvair reproduction parts would give an answer in .05 seconds.B)

Maybe you are asking if outsiders are allowed to join the cult? Yes! We would welcome you. 

Asking on the forums about a particular car for sale will usually get a response from someone who knows the car and can give guidance on purchase. And on corvaircenter.com/phorum there is a pre-purchase inspection list for first time buyers.

Oh, and start looking for your second one now!;)

Don't let a few naysayers discourage you - there is always at least one in every crowd.  This is a car forum - if we all just Google everything, there will be no need to have it.  Funny thing is, when I do Google things related to antique cars, I get many hit from right here on the forum LOL

Bob

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mike6024 said:
9 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

a Google of Corvair reproduction parts would give an answer in .05 seconds

You really don't even need to say that, you know, it's not helpful at all.

5 hours ago, GregLaR said:

I'm already sorry I asked.

None of my business or is it??? ... I am pretty overtired right now so I read the ENTIRE words Frank  Duval said, several TIMES,  on the whole google-it thing, not just that one sentence,, and including his added  "face logo" thingy...emoicon?

Boy I am an admitted "misser" of the obvious, but I simply don't see what the whole thing he wrote on the google-it was anything at all being a diss???..I could be wrong, but it looks like he was speaking of comparisons of what each venue could provide, some info?? And zero hate...  he even used the COOL icon after the google, just maybe showing that a generic website that has zero human interaction is so much faster??/ IDK.  I don't see anything that could ever upset me as the thread starter, even if I had a really bad day and was beyond touchy/bitchie..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bob Hill said:

Corvair Underground used to be probably second but not even sure Lon Wall is still involved.  

I have been to CU and met Lon last year when he looked at my dad's Rampy. He is still involved. His shop is next door to where a friend of mine works and I was by there 2 days ago. He's still in business. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

The anti-social stigma came from back in the 70s/80s when if a Corvair showed up at a show, the owner had to endure hours of listening to people say "Ralph Nader took those off the road", " That car is unsafe", "Those were recalled, why wasn't this one?", "I wouldn't be caught dead in one, wait maybe I would be dead"  and other asinine statements.  That nose in the air attitude of people at other car shows wears a car guy out pretty quick. Harrumph, used cars, get away from the true classics.

So we silently left the other shows and clubs and had a great time (social, fellowship, tech sessions, tours, etc.) with "our kind"! 

Now the others have wised up and are starting to see the Corvair for the great engineered car it is. :D

In 13 hours you have had 7 owners reply to your request for information. On the forums you could have had 7 replies in the first hour. Or a Google of Corvair reproduction parts would give an answer in .05 seconds.B)

Maybe you are asking if outsiders are allowed to join the cult? Yes! We would welcome you. 

Asking on the forums about a particular car for sale will usually get a response from someone who knows the car and can give guidance on purchase. And on corvaircenter.com/phorum there is a pre-purchase inspection list for first time buyers.

Oh, and start looking for your second one now!;)

Well Frank, you know my hunt for a Corvair continues ..... and continues and .... on it goes.  :-)

The assistance from this very AACA forum, including Frank and many others, in helping me locate the "right" Corvair has been outstanding and I'm very thankful for each lead that these AACA members provide to me.

Thanks to the "welcoming attitude" of this AACA forum, I've joined the AACA in April and now am part of the monthly meetings,  in our area.

Edited by bobg1951chevy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, bobg1951chevy said:

and many others, in helping me locate the "right" Corvair has been outstanding and I'm very thankful for each lead that these AACA members provide to me.

I just don't recall your exact written desires on years or body style right now...  I do know of perhaps two earlier? one is conv, sitting silently, unwanted by most people who have seen them, in a huge old, but dry farm barn in South Central Mass.  It is an estate collection, slowly being sorted and sold off since 03 when the Dad passed away, by one son that now lives there.

His name is Mike, and I got to know him well, after a lead given to me by an old casual swapmeeter friend from Mass, at a CT swap, when I asked if he knew where I could get one 56 Olds 15" wheel!!  It led to a handdrawn map as he did not recall names, or much else, except it was a humongous  lifetime collection of 50-60s Old cars , 100 parts cars, and tons of goodies stashed in several buildings... I think I spent 6k or more over the next year...just in parts...but incredible parts..!

In the middle of the huge mid level floor of the barn, sat one or I think two corvairs, thinking both might be conv? Not sure on anything right now,  Up in the rightside hay loft, sorting and finding early Olds stuff, I found a 4 carb manifold with I think, all the carbs...did not see whatever aircleaner, but Mike may know more on it or if he had one....I have some fleeting thought of perhaps seeing a turbo part too, but I've been to so many estate messes, It may be at a different estate altogether.

I shared my "source" with several Hamb net friends, and one recerntly asked for an Olds stick trans, and I said where one is at the barn (I took him there a few years back...he is from Vermont, I am in CT)  He did find it, but said Mike just switched jobs from RailRoad to some RR related white collar job and was leaving for training in CHINA !  that afternoon.  I can try to find something out from Walt in Vermont (who is here on AACA very infrequently), to ask if he knows if the corvair(s) are still there, right near where I said that trans was...or if Mike is back home or whatever.

I do recall you maybe DON'T want a conv, but I just don't know about the possible second one at all.

F & J .... I am looking for a nice turn key( good to excellent)  '65 to '69 Corvair Monza, must be powerglide and no evening orchid color.

Choices are in order of preference .... (1) Monza Coupe (2) Monza 4 door H.T. and (3) Monza Convertible.

Thanks.

I was 95% certain I had a deal  on a very nice '65, but the owner is currently occupied with other priorities, so my search must continue.

On 6/8/2017 at 11:22 AM, mike6024 said:

Here's the wheeler dealers episode on Corvair restoration.

FYI, do not take any advice from this episode on how to do any repair procedure on a Corvair. It's like they didn't even read the shop manual or any of the wonderful repair guides written by Corvair technical experts. 

I have installed many pieces of Clark's upholstery over the last 30 years. Look good, fit good, but you need strong hands to do vinyl work. Pull, stretch, pull, stretch...hog ring...cut hog ring, pull, another hog ring...:D

They also carry Riviera bucket seat upholstery.