Greenwich - Anybody going Saturday?

alsancle

not me but... Not trying to fuel the Hatfield McCoy deal on tires, but even this partly apart pic, blackwalls really are going to be a home run for many...with the other colors there. That deep burgundy...wow... with the jet black fenders

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:26 PM, alsancle said:

I'll be there Saturday because my dad is unveiling his 35 Packard that he has literally been restoring since I was in diapers.  I graduated HS in 82 if you want to do the math. 

That is fantastic, congratulations to him and a big event for both of you to be sure, enjoy!

We were there last year. Beautiful cars, beautiful venue but I have to say it was one  of the most poorly organized events we have attended. Gates not opening on time, no one apparently in charge of show car parking, no signage at the trailer parking area which was supposed to be guarded but wasn't. Seemed like way to many chiefs and not nearly enough Indians. I usually go with the flow and understand the challenges of volunteer help but this show stood out from the crowd.

• Like 1

Sorry I missed the show. Big Al deserves the Best of Show......he has been working on that car for more than forty years!

Had a great time and it was nice seeing some of you guys, Steve, Henry, Parker, etc.  Bob, I don't see my handsome face in your pictures so I must have been wandering around when you stopped by.  Happy for my dad and for the guys that worked on the car, Byard Libby as the restorer and Jonathan Chase doing all the upholsterery work.   Although the car has been under restoration for almost 50 years, it still took a bunch of late nights in the final week including midnight last night for the guys.  We loaded the car at 4:30 AM.  BOS requires a lot more starts and stops and photo work and the car has never been road driven or sorted so I was definitely crossing my fingers every time it had to start.

I'm not a brass guy but I noticed that Symplex which was definitely cool.

IMG_2761.JPG

IMG_2762.JPG

IMG_2764.JPG

IMG_2779.JPG

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

What four year old car has the WOW factor of an L29 CORD Cabriolet today? Imagine what it must have been like when my Dad was asked to drive one from New York City to Connecticut in 1932? Fifteen years old and no drivers license. Bob

DSCF8423.JPG

DSCF8410.JPG

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:47 PM, Restorer32 said:

We were there last year. Beautiful cars, beautiful venue but I have to say it was one  of the most poorly organized events we have attended. Gates not opening on time, no one apparently in charge of show car parking, no signage at the trailer parking area which was supposed to be guarded but wasn't. Seemed like way to many chiefs and not nearly enough Indians. I usually go with the flow and understand the challenges of volunteer help but this show stood out from the crowd.

I could not agree more! I was there a few years ago and the trailer parking was HORRIBLE! I unloaded and parked the trailer where I was told then I was told by somebody else to move the trailer to another location and then told by someone else and break down the tow vehicle from the trailer.

The venue itself was great, but the trailer situation was real bad, and they knew it!

We were pulling a 5th wheel so you know how long that is.  Fortunately when we jumped off 95 there were 2 guys parking in that  first lot on the left (which was not designated as trailer parking) and the lot was 80% empty being 7:30.  So pulled in there and I asked the guy if this was the spot since it differed from the instructions.  He said he had gone to the designated lot and they would not let him in.   So we parked there and it worked  great, but we were also ahead of the crowd.  30 minutes later and I think we would have been in trouble.   Since they handed us a big trophy it is very hard for me to complain or say anything bad, and in general I found the event to fun and reasonably well run.  The location is super from an aesthetic perspective on the harbor and having the auction in the middle of it with open access on Saturday is great.  The bathrooms had a dedicated attendant  and were spotless.   Another plus was the rather compact nature of the entire affair, probably 40% the size of Pebble or Amelia, maybe less.  Now that my dad is 92 and no longer able to play hockey I've become acutely aware of distances, something I never paid attention to in my life.    Pebble's bathroom situation in comparison is not great.  Tough on the 80 plus set.

Bob,  we thought about Pebble and if we were going to do that it would have needed to be the first show.  We sort of shot our load, so to speak.  My comments above on the size and scale factored in immensely in to the decision.  Something else to ponder,  would you rather have a 2nd, 3rd or nothing in class at Pebble or Amelia or a BOS at something like Greenwich?

Bob,  there are lots of restorations that take 1/2 a lifetime or more.  The key is to take care of yourself so you can live long enough to finish them!   Hopefully my Stutz is not one of those.  Life and finances get in the way of everything, and ultimately the cars are a fun diversion but can't be the highest priority.  Although in both my dad's case and mine, we are distracted by other projects.  Maybe slight ADD?

On 5/31/2017 at 8:25 AM, alsancle said:

Frank, I lost that battle.  The car will have crappy whites on it.

Btw,  I lost every battle on this car,  color, top color, tires.  I'm pretty sure if it was done my way it would not have won.   Doesn't bode well for any of my cars.

• Like 1

They should use the town hall lot which is designated for spectators for trailer parking.  It's within walking distance and a safe area.  Hopefully the weather held long enough for the second half of the concours today.

Funny you should mention the Stutz.  Ed and engine builder John Cislak are in a truck pulling 2 cars to the Pierce national meet.  When I was talking to Ed about Greenwich I told him to remind him I needed that engine.  It is almost done.  The engine will be awesome, hopefully around 160-170HP on the dyno. 

I  was there also and finally able to show my dad’s beloved Packard after many many years of him working on it. Unfortunately he passed away before he could see it finished.  This was my first show and I am so happy I had the car finished in memory of my father to represent his hard work . I know he was there in spirit!

It was a great show and congratulations to all the winners!

P1.JPG

GC.jpg

Paul, nice car, sorry I didn't stop and say hello. The one thing that impressed me about this meet were the number of cars that were shown by sons of the original restorers. Lots of cars that have been in the hobby for a long time. The Simplex was in the Tunic family since 1918 I believe, and saw used in their junk yard in the 1920's. Bob