Electra with televisions

PWB

In-car television was quite the add-on luxury item from the middle 1960s.  With those little antennas back then, compared to the LARGE home antennas, I suspect reception was limited in "outer" areas away from the metro areas.  Looks pretty well-integrated for rear seat passengers' viewing.

NTX5467

These days it is quite refreshing to see they didn't re-badge the SONY TV.

I'm thinking a sticker boldly displaying "DynaBand" today.

I like the colors and the roof treatment, kind of a Durham look. Snowplow hood attachment tastes tastelessness to a new level, though.

Bernie

12 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

I suspect reception was limited in "outer" areas away from the metro areas

And that was when the car was new.  Today with most stations digital broadcast only a few religious or minority stations would be available.

16 minutes ago, old-tank said:

And that was when the car was new.  Today with most stations digital broadcast only a few religious or minority stations would be available.

Which would decrease "channel flipping" by the rear seat passengers.  Or they'd pull out their own media instead.

BUT it still looks neat!

NTX5467

Interesting car for sure. Neat to see. Wonder why the underside of trunk lid is black? 

Imagine a rear seat passenger back in the day splitting their head open on the corner of that TV in a front-ender. :wacko:

I had almost forgotten about that period in time.  We moved to Texas in 1970 and our parents lived in Indiana, a 20 hr drive.  With two small girls, anything that would keep them entertained was an investment in sanity.

We found a small (9") ac/dc TV and rabbit ears that attached to the window.   If we got reception in a metropolitan area they were quiet, when reception got bad, they were busy changing channels trying to find anything

visible on the screen, it worked for us for a few short years.

'

• Like 1

When this car was offered for sale many years ago before or probably when Rob bought it, it was advertised as originally being ordered by James Brown and for whatever reason he turned down delivery of it.  

23 hours ago, Thriller said:

I believe we still have a VHS/CRT unit that we purchased for the minivans we drove that became like a console between the captains seats. 

We still have one somewhere. Sat on console between front seats.  By mid 00's integrated DVD players were available and it became a must have option.Now with smart phones and kids being older not as necessary, but boy did it save much parental brain damage on trips.

• Like 1

I once owned a 1963 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 convertible that had an in-dash radio with a TV band.  It was nice to be able to listen to programs like the Huntley-Brinkley Report during drive time at the end of the work day.

44 minutes ago, D Yaros said:

I once owned a 1963 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 convertible that had an in-dash radio with a TV band.  It was nice to be able to listen to programs like the Huntley-Brinkley Report during drive time at the end of the work day.

How many persons on this site would remember Huntley-Brinkley?

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:01 PM, 72Guru said:

When this car was offered for sale many years ago before or probably when Rob bought it, it was advertised as originally being ordered by James Brown and for whatever reason he turned down delivery of it.  

Probably cause:  Papa had a brand new bag.....  HEY!