1954 century sedan. GA to NC

NC-car-guy

It was meant to be used....finally found a home!

As to a previous statement about parts availability, I continue to be happily surprised how many parts are so available for my 54. My parts guy at a local shop loves when I walk in...he gets to look for interesting things but really they end up too easy most of the time. 

• Like 2

When I first got the car, I ordered all the tune up parts.  The points were unsealed NOS.  I couldn't open them!  They are part of my "display" with original line ticket, insurance card, and dealer hang tags.

• Like 1

So for the latest attempt.....

Not sure if this wire was broken or if I broke it during disassembling. The thicker one in  the background is cut on purpose. 

20180412_192815.thumb.jpg.681267927c66677470f7325ee79000ef.jpg

So ditch this solenoid and grab another out of the pile....

20180412_194330.thumb.jpg.770a6ecc2762e93b2cb336c8b0b2be6c.jpg

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

BTW  I've had the car a year now,  put 1500 miles on it,  and have decided I will call the car Lucy. Much like like my favorite,  Lucille Ball, the car is pretty,  fun,  but sometimes squirrelly. ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Drove her to work this morning. 75 down the highway, rides nice. At 80+ the steering is a little loose for me. Temp,  oil pressure, and charge all stay pretty good, although later when it hits 80 degrees, I bet the temp gauge will go up.  She doesn't stay full to the "fill" line on the radiator, always burps some out when I fill it up, so I'll just let it be. 

20180413_080252.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Thanks!  If only i could remedy that lifter tap....  but once she's warm it fades.

Nature of the beast.. use thicker oil lol. I've been running 10W30 over the winter and developed a little lifter noise on startup. As long as it goes away, though, you're fine. 

So you still going to add the gaudy high torque starter? Looks like you found the problem to your reliable OEM starter. :P

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Beemon said:

Nature of the beast.. use thicker oil lol. I've been running 10W30 over the winter and developed a little lifter noise on startup. As long as it goes away, though, you're fine. 

So you still going to add the gaudy high torque starter? Looks like you found the problem to your reliable OEM starter. :P

Yea I put a little Lucas in this time.  Still running 10W30 though.  I guess at 115k miles she has enough tolerance for heavier oil

As long as it keeps starting, I'll leave it alone.  After being under there so much though, I think the other car will get a mini-starter to help with exhaust clearance for the duals.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Thanks!  If only i could remedy that lifter tap....  but once she's warm it fades.

Mine taps at start up.  Only in one spot.  Doubt it is lifters in mine.  Replaced all. Push rods are fine.   Maybe piston slap.   Once warm the tap is gone.  Somewhere in the engine the metal is expanding from the heat.  Tap goes away.  Been doing that since I got it.  Never proved to be a problem.   I let it go.       

• Like 3

Forgot to post last weekend about this as the starter issue distracted me.  First use of my wipers since rebuild,  they slow under acceleration,  but not enough to tick me off. ?  sorry about the typo in the title.  This is a 54.

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

First use of my wipers since rebuild,  the slow under acceleration,  but not enough to tick me off

Nice action!  That acceleration response is not unusual.  I like em!  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Heading to the fairgrounds flea market...

4 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Wow!  You must have some long arms to get that movie from the passengers side!  :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wndsofchng06 said:

It's almost all I drive on weekends.  I'm hesitant about full coverage insurance.... they are half what I pay for liability only,  but the restrictions worry me

Who are you going through? I have zero restrictions on my full coverage, as it is registered as a classic vehicle.

Hagerty is easy to do online.  No one will check mileage.  Worry more about local law if registered as antique/classic.  And then tell them you are testing engine, brakes, tranny, etc repairs; going to get gas; going to club meeting.  Just don't drive to work regularly.  Just have a modern vehicle available.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In most cases they don't care, at least around here. I've never been pulled over and drove to school almost every day, driving passed the PD on the way. I've seen more people pulled over for having vintage plates than collector plates because the vintage plates don't register in the computer.

12 minutes ago, Beemon said:

In most cases they don't care, at least around here. I've never been pulled over and drove to school almost every day, driving passed the PD on the way. I've seen more people pulled over for having vintage plates than collector plates because the vintage plates don't register in the computer.

In NC we can run YOM plates, but must have the modern plates in the car.  No regulatory issues as long as I have liability at a minimum.

16 hours ago, Beemon said:

That is kind of strange.  Maryland will input the YOM  letters/numbers that will associate the tag number to the classic car issued tag when run by the police.   Need to keep the classic car tags in the car.   Only once did I see a bonanza of classic cars getting pulled over.  It is an event held yearly in an affluent neighborhood that a few residence did not like the show being held near their homes.   One  or more of the residence must know the local cops well because the day of the show any car not running a front tag was pulled over and citation issued.   They did their best to ruin a fund raiser.  Needless to say, the park no longer permitted any more shows(I believe they increase the cost to use the park to some astronomical figure).    The following year the state of MD removed the ruling that historic and street rods needed to run the front tag.

1 minute ago, avgwarhawk said:

That is kind of strange.  Maryland will input the YOM  letters/numbers that will associate the tag number to the classic car issued tag when run by the police.   Need to keep the classic car tags in the car.   Only once did I see a bonanza of classic cars getting pulled over.  It is an event held yearly in an affluent neighborhood that a few residence did not like the show being held near their homes.   One  or more of the residence must know the local cops well because the day of the show any car not running a front tag was pulled over and citation issued.   They did their best to ruin a fund raiser.  Needless to say, the park no longer permitted any more shows(I believe they increase the cost to use the park to some astronomical figure).    The following year the state of MD removed the ruling that historic and street rods needed to run the front tag.

NC doesn't record the YOM tag# either...  I think Virginia does though

19 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

NC doesn't record the YOM tag# either...  I think Virginia does though

MD will even run the  YOM tag to assure there is nothing funky with it.  Plus, they check the color of the tag is correct for the year.  Anyway,  I see some discussion about insurance.  I use Hagerty.   Like Willie stated, Hagerty online is very easy.  No middle man.  Pick and choose what you like.   I found that going to an agent like State Farm often finds themselves going to a classic car insurer anyway for a quote and provides that quote to you.     

Edited by avgwarhawk
spelling (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

It's subjective in my area of NYS.  I have run YOM on the GS and the '56 for decades and have never been pulled over.  The 56 is even a one plate year, so I have no front plate at all.  Meanwhile a good friend with a 75 Trans Am was pulled over after an event where the norm is a burn out upon departure, even though he had both YOM plates duly mounted.  The Sherriff in that case claimed she knew nothing about using the old plates on historical vehicles.   Yeah...like I'd believe that!

The YOM plate number is listed on the vehicles papers, in our case the glove box documents  and windshield registration sticker .  The DMV will register just about anything remotely recognized as a NYS issued YOM plate for the vehicle, but will not register anything where the plate number is already in use.  For example, you can put a car plate on a commercial vehicle and taxi plates on a car, just as long as the plate sequence is not already in use.  It gets interesting when you get to older custom plates.  The number I have on my '56 appears to have been custom ordered because there were plates issued under that same number across several plate design changes.  As long as I keep that number active by renewing my registration, no one else with the same number, on a different styled plate,  can use it.  But if I let it lapse and someone else registers the same number before I renew, then I'd be out of luck.

But the rule says the plate has to be a legitimate plate for the year of manufacture, and it cannot be restored.  Meanwhile I have seen later year plates on earlier vehicles,  restored plates on several cars, and even heard a rumor that one guy had a plate made to describe his car, in a series where the plate combo was never available,  and it was accepted. 

Oh well. 

• Like 1

You can't run restored plates in NY? In Washington, the plates have to be restored by a professional before they are considered. No front plates here, which has allowed me to run vanity plates and drive through toll lanes without being charged. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In Florida, the YOM plates have to be authenticated by DMV main office In Tallahassee. You have to send the plate for their approval, they check if is authentic to the year,  design, color, condition and legibility. Once approved you have to registered and a validation decal is issue to be displayed in the upper right corner of the plate. I have not affixed the decal because it takes from the plate period ; however I have it attached to an aluminum decal holder that I can install  to the plate with a wing nut if need be. I keep it in the glove compartment just in case but law enforcement down here are very relax when it comes to enforcing on vintage vehicles. Know lots of cops ?‍♀ that exercise this hobby. Florida requires a single plate to be displayed in the rear.

• Like 1

The 1964 Worlds' Fair NY plate on my '64 GP came with the car, so I was able to transfer it to my registration.  The nice thing about that plate is that it was used in '64 & '65 (with a '65 endorsement sticker) only and it was a rear plate only -- unlike the surrounding years.  That allows me to run my "GRRRRRR" plate on the front!

20150917_F1A3409.jpg

20150917_F1A3291.jpg

• Like 4

Definitely signing up for that insurance next week on my way back from the car show I had a guy cut me off and then slam on brakes I think I had smoke coming from all four tires as I locked it down????????