1954 century sedan. GA to NC

NC-car-guy

42 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Your steering wheel is on upside down :lol:

The tiny spaces they had,  by the time i got it parked I didn't worry about the wheel. Lol

44 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

those original tags are rare, it's a wonder the dummy who sold you the car didn't keep them. Must be a straight up guy :lol:

Lol.  Yea I've never seen them before, and certainly no one at this show had any! 

Here's the old fuel filter.... IMG_0980.thumb.JPG.dc237c1e2ba917f4f931e5becaa1c2e6.JPG

sure enough it was dirty inside. More alarming was what was holding it into the carb. I will not be reusing this fuel filter as I fear screwing it in and out of the back of the card to clean it may ruin the carburetorI will not be reusing this fuel filter as I fear screwing it in and out of the back of the card to clean it may ruin the carburetor. There's very little threads left in the back of the carburetor I managed to get a tapered fitting to bite in but I don't think much is holding it. I'll hook my fuel line directly to the tapered fitting and put an in-line fuel filter further back. If the threads in the back of the carburetor give out what are my options?!?!? ?

You can save that filter by replacing the two way pipe fitting. As far as the carb goes, most likely thread repair kit. If you're unfamiliar, you drill/ tap one size larger, then screw in the thread repair kit. I don't know if they make them for pipe thread, though, or how well it'll play nice with fuel...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Beemon said:

You can save that filter by replacing the two way pipe fitting. As far as the carb goes, most likely thread repair kit. If you're unfamiliar, you drill/ tap one size larger, then screw in the thread repair kit. I don't know if they make them for pipe thread, though, or how well it'll play nice with fuel...

I prefer having the filter down where I can see/ get at it....

• 5 weeks later...

Let me qualify what I'm about to say with the statement that I drive my car like a grandma.  I don't want anything to break.  I accelerate gently, haven't exceeded 65mph, etc...

This weekend I had a friend call, he'd broken down about 4 miles from my place and asked if I'd come take a look at the truck.  We determined he needed a tow (by a wrecker, not me), so I headed home.  It was a very busy street with 45mph speed limit.  After waiting for what felt like forever, I put it in low and punched the throttle.  I was very surprised when she squealed tires as I pulled away.  When we got home I apologized for the abuse, but part of me was kind of excited to know the car had the ability!

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Won't hurt it...

Thanks for the reassurance.

4 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

probably 9 out of 10 of my parts cars have bent rear frame cross pieces from pulling broke down or stuck cars out of ditches. I recall pulling a couple with my Special back in the 70's.

I didn't tow him.  We let the wrecker handle that.

41 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

I didn't tow him.  We let the wrecker handle that

Well, you could have, albeit probably agin the law.   So you just squealed tires while pulling out into traffic? 

At one time back in the early 70's I had 3 vehicles, a 68 Volkswagen bus, a 70 Triumph GT-6 + and Breeze, the '54 Special 2 dr sedan. The VW bus, loaded down with a bunch of long haired hippies broke down about half way between Atlanta and Athens while coming home from a Led Zepplin concert at the stadium. I hitchhiked home, got in the Buick and went back to the bus with a long chain, hooked up to it and pulled it probably about 40 miles. A real seat pincher going down hills and through some of the small Georgia towns in the early morning hours with a bunch of long hairs in both vehices. Got home in time to change clothes and get to work, on time. With a dropped valve and wore out brakes,  I think that was the last trip for the bus.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MrEarl said:

Well, you could have, albeit probably agin the law.   So you just squealed tires while pulling out into traffic? 

Maybe not impressive to the more experienced guys.  But I've NEVER gunned an old car like that.  I more expected the axles to fly out the sides then to squeal tires and zoom off.   I really am a calm driver, I may speed a bit, but I'm not aggressive at all.  even my new truck with twin turbos does not get punched.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Maybe not impressive to the more experienced guys.  But I've NEVER gunned an old car like that.  I more expected the axles to fly out the sides then to squeal tires and zoom off.   I really am a calm driver, I may speed a bit, but I'm not aggressive at all.  even my new truck with twin turbos does not get punched.  LOL

Why have the power if it is not used? :D

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1