NC-car-guy

1954 century sedan. GA to NC

Years ago I bought the retainers from Restoration Specialties and Supply:  part# 2610 Buick/GM stud retainer

Does not show up in search...call them

• Like 2

Benefits of AACA Membership.

They are discontinued, but they had 12 sitting in the bin, so I bought them!  Thanks Willie

• Like 1

So I guess the only source now is used ones:  either stuck to the studs or still in the panel.  Sad.

The guy I spoke with says he shows the same part for 1955 buick hood letters and monograms with rectangular pegs (the 54 hood letters mount different).   I have a few 55 hood letters and will verify.  If that's correct, CARS shows a listing for 55 hood letter clips. May still be hope...

• Like 1

I bought a pile of the rectangular barrel clips last year at Allentown.  Took everything he had.  These were impossible for me to find when I was putting my 58 back together.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got my clips....  oddly the passenger side is missing the one round alignment hole.... guess i have to drill...  seems odd

20170829_182802.jpg

• Like 2

Y'all......  she's legal.  Had to scratch through a bunch of stuff in case that car salesman in Georgia tried to make a case against my bond saying it was his...   ha ha ha. Jk ??

20170831_160132.jpg

• Like 3

Thinking about catching some late car shows now?

Nah. Just cruise.... she's not really car show material,  headliner,  carpet,  door panels and dash all need redone for that

11 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Nah. Just cruise.... she's not really car show material,  headliner,  carpet,  door panels and dash all need redone for that

My car is definitely not car show material, but I still go. You'd be surprised, people enjoy talking about a project more than a show queen, from my own experience.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Agreeing with Beemon. Plus you've got that interesting back story on how it got to you. People love to hear those stories. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Plus you've got that interesting back story on how it got to you. People love to hear those stories.

x2  ;)

• Like 2

Thanks guys!  Hoping it dries a lil this afternoon and will take it on its first cruise downtown. 

• Like 4

well she goes!  Accelerates good!   Brakes need more adjustment I think.  And something is not quite right under the hood.  While I was warming it up for our ride, it just stalled.  Didn't sputter or anything, just cut off. Started right back up. Once on the road she drove good but was stuttering as I took my foot off the gas pedal, so I brought it home for tonight.  

IMG_0942.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG

• Like 5

Check your choke, it might not be set up right and causing your bog. That's the only thing I can think of for stuttering at idle and off the gas pedal. How does timing look? Vacuum advance working correctly?

Also those black walls and po-caps really give the car character!

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)

I have no idea if the vac advance is working. No stutter at idle, she'll just stop. Stutters when I let off the pedal after acceleration. Havent looked at the choke either, wouldn't know what "right" was.... never messed with one of these.

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, wndsofchng06 said:

I have no idea if the vac advance is working. No stutter at idle, she'll just stop. Stutters when I let off the pedal after acceleration. Havent looked at the choke either, wouldn't know what "right" was.... never messed with one of these.

Loosen the choke housing. At 75 degrees, rotate housing so choke just taps shut. If it's hotter, open it up when the engine is cold and vice versa for being colder (aka, put it a little past close). The choke spring may be worn after heat cycling 60 years so it could be sluggish to respond and you can buy new AFB chokes over the counter. For simplicity, I took an Edelbrock electric choke and used that. You have to flip the spring over to work, but I've had zero complaints. A lot of people don't like electric chokes, but the stove choke never worked right for me and the electric choke has always worked for me. Down in the South, I can see the choke setting not being so crucial, but up north where I drive my car year round, it can get pretty annoying when the choke never pulls off.

Does the car have a dash pot.  I think it's called a dash pot. maybe a dash pod.  This is the small metal bellows with a pin and spring sticking out that comes into contact with the linkage at the carb.  It is supposed to extend when you step on the gas.  It's manual so no other lines or systems with it.  And when you let off the gas pedal it is supposed to slow the return of the linkage to idle to prevent stalling.  It is usually present on Automatic trans cars, not so much on stick shift cars.  And if it returns to it's rest spot too soon the engine will stall.  If you need pictures I can get some.

• Like 1

Also when was the last time you did an oil change?

26 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Does the car have a dash pot.  I think it's called a dash pot. maybe a dash pod.  This is the small metal bellows with a pin and spring sticking out that comes into contact with the linkage at the carb.  It is supposed to extend when you step on the gas.  It's manual so no other lines or systems with it.  And when you let off the gas pedal it is supposed to slow the return of the linkage to idle to prevent stalling.  It is usually present on Automatic trans cars, not so much on stick shift cars.  And if it returns to it's rest spot too soon the engine will stall.  If you need pictures I can get some.

Yes has dashpot.  Havent checked the operation of it

26 minutes ago, Beemon said:

Also when was the last time you did an oil change?

2.5 miles ago

• Haha 1

Think Electrical.  The wire inside the distributor that goes to the points; Large cable on the starter shorting on the splash pan; any other loose wire or poor ground.

• Like 1