Does anyone know what these are?

8 hours ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

It's actually 49 or 50. It was different in 51.

Image result for 1949 ford hood ornament

This picture makes me wounder about the lack of a Side View Mirrow? Can't remember if they did, or didn't come with side mirrors on these cars back in the day. 

They didn't come with outside mirrors as standard equipment remember the American/Canadian Auto Industry progressed very very very slowly.  Remember bumpers had only been standard equipment for two decades. At this point in time, other than the "automatic transmission" there had been nothing new since the beginning of WWI.  Four wheel independent suspension, four wheel drive, coil springs, column gear shift, four wheel steering, disc brakes, rear view mirror, synchromesh, and fuel injection had all been invented/used prior to WWI.  In fact the only thing new since then has been computer and electronic controls and air-bags. The engineers and inventors were always working on "new" ideas and improvements old ideas but the major automobile manufacturers real purpose was to make "MONEY for SHAREHOLDERS".  They had to be dragged kicking and screaming, usually through court, to provide anything of real value to the motoring public.  For most of the history of the automotive industry  "new and improved" usually meant a quarter inch of foam padding, moving a knob or lever a few inches or pretty colours, anything to serve "planned obsolescence" and "PROFIT".

3 hours ago, Tinindian said:

The engineers and inventors were always working on "new" ideas and improvements old ideas but the major automobile manufacturers real purpose was to make "MONEY for SHAREHOLDERS".  They had to be dragged kicking and screaming, usually through court, to provide anything of real value to the motoring public.  For most of the history of the automotive industry  "new and improved" usually meant a quarter inch of foam padding, moving a knob or lever a few inches or pretty colours, anything to serve "planned obsolescence" and "PROFIT".

Remember the safety campaign of Ralph Nader and his cohorts? "Unsafe at any speed"? It took a long time for the campaigners to overcome the automobile lobby grip on the politicians enough for safety measures to become compulsory. They were dragged into it kicking and screaming.

On 3/9/2017 at 9:33 AM, Doug Novak said:

This picture makes me wounder about the lack of a Side View Mirrow? Can't remember if they did, or didn't come with side mirrors on these cars back in the day. 

drivers side mirror requirement was part of the 1967  safety regulations, along with dual master cyl., flat dash knobs , and padded dash among other things

31 minutes ago, cheezestaak2000 said:

drivers side mirror requirement was part of the 1967  safety regulations, along with dual master cyl., flat dash knobs , and padded dash among other things

I thought it was 1966 for the driver's side OSRV mirror, tire pressure decal either on the door jamb, or inside the glove compartment door, and then the major safety items like shoulder belts, flat dash knobs, side marker lights, etc., for the 1968 model year. 

Craig

• Like 1

Outside mirrors were options in the '50s, passenger side less so. Then driver's side remote and adjustable passenger side. My 1955 MGA had dual wing mirrors. All of my tow cars have had dual mirrors. Passenger side vision always includes the trailer tire/curb relation so I know exactly where those tires are.