Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale (Jan.) Rivieras

Chimera

OK Riviera People:  That black 65. Nice presentation, looks like  the very very top of the heap.  Non GS?  Who cares! I believe the market is showing signs of skyrocketing on investment grade stuff and the number on this ?  Really anyone's guess.

The 64? Funny, the same energy in the build yet the results are dramatically different. R-Ms are not my thing.

Mitch

It's always fun to read the description of these cars when written by the auction company. For example, the 65 is equipped with "optional" tilt wheel not the standard equipment tilt wheel.  

As far as the 64 goes, one would think that before taking pictures of the interior of a car going across the block one would take time to vacuum the carpets.  ALL 1964s came equipped with a 425, if this one has a 401 as stated, then there should be some explanation.  

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

I think I might have seen the '64 in the background of one of the TV shows. The dirty interior stands out like a Craigslist car sunk in the ground. They would call pointing that out as being picky. Like the evidence of overheating, the new, unpainted water pump with a gasket that looks like it was gnawed out by Punxsutawney Phil, and the careless thermostat replacement. So, rather that be the bad guy, you just forget you saw it.

Bernie

13 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

I think I might have seen the '64 in the background of one of the TV shows. The dirty interior stands out like a Craigslist car sunk in the ground. They would call pointing that out as being picky. Like the evidence of overheating, the new, unpainted water pump with a gasket that looks like it was gnawed out by Punxsutawney Phil, and the careless thermostat replacement. So, rather that be the bad guy, you just forget you saw it.

Bernie

LMAO

Dat paint SOOO shiny it makes the bus yellow sedan in the reflection look good.

And the paddin' in them doors aint horse hair, no sir! ^_^

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

1 hour ago, EmTee said:

...and what's the deal with those galvanized tees and other household plumbing fittings in what appears to be the A/C line?  :blink:

Wow, that's innovation! I missed that and sure as heck - good call.

Its the "Wheres Waldo parts" of Rivieras :lol:

Hope this gal gets a good caretaker.

I like the ingenious AC compressor belt adjuster, and the nice looking wing nut on the radiator bracket. Are finned sections below the front of the intake manifold "standard or optional" ?

33 minutes ago, lrlforfun said:

OK Riviera People: Is this a tilt? The pictures don't reveal that much.  I think it's straight non-tilt but memory doesn't serve me well.  This Riv is a standard, crank windows, full tint and a/c. Medium equipment.   Mitch

Ranch March 24, 2016 097.JPG

Ranch March 24, 2016 096.JPG

In1965, the tilt wheel was standard equipment on all Rivieras.

11 hours ago, Dale 3 said:

I like the ingenious AC compressor belt adjuster, and the nice looking wing nut on the radiator bracket. Are finned sections below the front of the intake manifold "standard or optional" ?

Brings new meaning to the term "Handyman Special"...  :D

Growing up and working on cars in the late 1950's and '60's gave me an opportunity to know many "mechanics" who took pride in doing "something" with "nothing" and beamed when they showed the crap off. They taught me to just plain despise them. I remember squeezing into the alligator nose of a '37 Packard 110 removing a mismatched generator, bushed up with washers and pipe nipples, with sweat running in my eyes and blood rushing to my head. All the time I was remembering one-legged Jack the engine cobbler in his bib overalls sitting on a bar stool telling people how smart he was. There wasn't a trace of Jack left when I was done, but there were a lot more like him.

Working on a truly unmolested car is such a pleasure, yet so rare.

My good friend, Vince, took me to a couple of auctions with him for tech advice. I told him "Each car we approach with interest, we will first inspect the window fur strips and see what is visible looking down into the door." He was backing away from cars like they were bee hives. Overspray, big shiny screws, rust, exposed parts; most of the time we didn't even get to see the plumbing hardware under the hood. It gets so predictable it is laughable.

Bernie

16 hours ago, lrlforfun said:

OK Riviera People: Is this a tilt? The pictures don't reveal that much.  I think it's straight non-tilt but memory doesn't serve me well.  This Riv is a standard, crank windows, full tint and a/c. Medium equipment.   Mitch

Ranch March 24, 2016 097.JPG

Be better if the oil filter was on the engine ;) Be even better if it was the one for this car...which it isnt

6 hours ago, alini said:

Be even better if it was the one for this car...which it isnt

Nah -- Cletus jus' added a cupla reducers, nipples and a stack of old filter gaskets I kep in th' draw.  Wurks purfekt!  :blink:

Well the 64 final bid was about 16K....anyone surprised??   Personally with those wheels, the plain interior, the painted bumpers, the frenched in tail lights   there is a taste required to own that look.  Then add the weird plumbing (I wanna say thats the Air compressor for the Air Bags....since there is a breather bolted to it.)  The shady return spring and the engine bay that just doesnt look maintained....alot of questionable maintenance requirements to throw money at to make it right.

1 hour ago, alini said:

Well the 64 final bid was about 16K....anyone surprised??   Personally with those wheels, the plain interior, the painted bumpers, the frenched in tail lights   there is a taste required to own that look.  Then add the weird plumbing (I wanna say thats the Air compressor for the Air Bags....since there is a breather bolted to it.)  The shady return spring and the engine bay that just doesnt look maintained....alot of questionable maintenance requirements to throw money at to make it right.

Holy Moley - 16 K?!?!?!

That's incredible. I am surprised.

You know what the others went for?

Thanks

35 minutes ago, PWB said:

Holy Moley - 16 K?!?!?!

That's incredible. I am surprised.

You know what the others went for?

Thanks

I agree, that engine compartment would scare me away.

As Winston said, the others haven't went across the block yet.

But, if you go to their site, on the line just below the title click on "Results", then put in "Buick & Riviera" it will give you all past results for them.

29 minutes ago, EmTee said:

So, Chris -- if Evilbay doesn't work out for you, you should have no trouble getting $50K for your '65 at B-J Scottsdale 2018!  ;)

I cancelled the ebay auction shortly after I listed it because I kept getting messages that I was asking too much.  I have had in craigslist locally for 30K for about a month now.  Have a potential buyer coming to town this weekend.  we will see

8 minutes ago, alini said:

I cancelled the ebay auction shortly after I listed it because I kept getting messages that I was asking too much.  I have had in craigslist locally for 30K for about a month now.  Have a potential buyer coming to town this weekend.  we will see

What about Hemmings?

I still check it out. I would think a lot of old school folks still do. We have a larger audience and the cash for these special cars.

You have one fine automobile. Its gonna take patience.  The right deal will show.

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

So on the 1965 it says it is the 401 but appears to have the 425 valve covers?  So, is this truly the 401 with the valve covers put on later?  Sorry I am just starting to learn about the rivieras if this is obvious to others.

1 hour ago, PCriv said:

So on the 1965 it says it is the 401 but appears to have the 425 valve covers?  So, is this truly the 401 with the valve covers put on later?  Sorry I am just starting to learn about the rivieras if this is obvious to others.

The finned aluminum covers were not just a 425 item, they were what came on the dual quad engines. The 401 and 425, unless it was a dual quad 425 car, both had the regular steel covers from the factory.

Edited by Rivman (see edit history)

2 hours ago, PCriv said:

Pretty popular "swap" for some bling.  The only way to tell for sure if the engine is a 401 is to look at the engine serial code stamped into the block.  If it's a 401 the letter prefix for the year ( J=63, K=64, L=65, M=66 ) is followed by the letter T (If it's a 425, the year code will be followed by a W.  If it's a true 64 - 65 Super Wildcat, the year code will be followed by an X [ except in '66 when it's a Z code])  

You'd have to ask someone more familiar with the A bodies from the era - Skylark series - if the GS cars with the 400 (on paper anyway but really a 401) may have been equipped from the factory with the finned aluminum covers.

Ed

5 hours ago, alini said:

The 65 went for $59000  I think that's a record for Barrett Jackson and first gen riviera

According to their results pages there was a '65 GS that went for $77,000, $84,700 with the commissions, in Scottsdale in 2010. The next closest one was another '65 GS for $49K in Palm Beach in 2011.