Chimera

Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale (Jan.) Rivieras

IMHO best custom '67.

Such a teaser with only 5 images.

Hope more stock Riviera's show up. :)

Very nice 65 non GS, the other two don't peg my needle. No reserves, will be interesting to see how they do.

OK Riviera People:  That black 65. Nice presentation, looks like  the very very top of the heap.  Non GS?  Who cares! I believe the market is showing signs of skyrocketing on investment grade stuff and the number on this ?  Really anyone's guess.

The 64? Funny, the same energy in the build yet the results are dramatically different. R-Ms are not my thing.

Mitch

I like the 65 but would prefer to see it in person for a final opinion.  The interior looks fresh and the wood veneer looks especially nice.  With regard to the 64 custom.....Well at least it retains nailhead power.

It's always fun to read the description of these cars when written by the auction company. For example, the 65 is equipped with "optional" tilt wheel not the standard equipment tilt wheel.  

As far as the 64 goes, one would think that before taking pictures of the interior of a car going across the block one would take time to vacuum the carpets.  ALL 1964s came equipped with a 425, if this one has a 401 as stated, then there should be some explanation.  

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

I think I might have seen the '64 in the background of one of the TV shows. The dirty interior stands out like a Craigslist car sunk in the ground. They would call pointing that out as being picky. Like the evidence of overheating, the new, unpainted water pump with a gasket that looks like it was gnawed out by Punxsutawney Phil, and the careless thermostat replacement. So, rather that be the bad guy, you just forget you saw it.

Bernie

13 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

I think I might have seen the '64 in the background of one of the TV shows. The dirty interior stands out like a Craigslist car sunk in the ground. They would call pointing that out as being picky. Like the evidence of overheating, the new, unpainted water pump with a gasket that looks like it was gnawed out by Punxsutawney Phil, and the careless thermostat replacement. So, rather that be the bad guy, you just forget you saw it.

Bernie

LMAO

Dat paint SOOO shiny it makes the bus yellow sedan in the reflection look good.

And the paddin' in them doors aint horse hair, no sir! ^_^

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

51 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

So, rather that be the bad guy, you just forget you saw it.

Bernie

Sorry, it's lazer etched on the retinas.  As is the missing fan shroud.

65 looks very nice, aluminum valve covers are a nice touch, won't even look at the 64

4 hours ago, RivNut said:

Sorry, it's lazer etched on the retinas.  As is the missing fan shroud.

LOL

Did anyone catch the throttle return device? Is that normal?

199013_Engine_Web.jpg

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

...and what's the deal with those galvanized tees and other household plumbing fittings in what appears to be the A/C line?  :blink:

Well duh. That one is so obvious it's hard to see.  The throttle return spring should be connected to a bracket mounted low on three fire wall.

1 hour ago, EmTee said:

...and what's the deal with those galvanized tees and other household plumbing fittings in what appears to be the A/C line?  :blink:

Wow, that's innovation! I missed that and sure as heck - good call.

Its the "Wheres Waldo parts" of Rivieras :lol:

Hope this gal gets a good caretaker.

OK Riviera People: Is this a tilt? The pictures don't reveal that much.  I think it's straight non-tilt but memory doesn't serve me well.  This Riv is a standard, crank windows, full tint and a/c. Medium equipment.   Mitch

Ranch March 24, 2016 097.JPG

Ranch March 24, 2016 096.JPG

I like the ingenious AC compressor belt adjuster, and the nice looking wing nut on the radiator bracket. Are finned sections below the front of the intake manifold "standard or optional" ?

33 minutes ago, lrlforfun said:

OK Riviera People: Is this a tilt? The pictures don't reveal that much.  I think it's straight non-tilt but memory doesn't serve me well.  This Riv is a standard, crank windows, full tint and a/c. Medium equipment.   Mitch

Ranch March 24, 2016 096.JPG

In1965, the tilt wheel was standard equipment on all Rivieras.

11 hours ago, Dale 3 said:

I like the ingenious AC compressor belt adjuster, and the nice looking wing nut on the radiator bracket. Are finned sections below the front of the intake manifold "standard or optional" ?

Brings new meaning to the term "Handyman Special"...  :D

Growing up and working on cars in the late 1950's and '60's gave me an opportunity to know many "mechanics" who took pride in doing "something" with "nothing" and beamed when they showed the crap off. They taught me to just plain despise them. I remember squeezing into the alligator nose of a '37 Packard 110 removing a mismatched generator, bushed up with washers and pipe nipples, with sweat running in my eyes and blood rushing to my head. All the time I was remembering one-legged Jack the engine cobbler in his bib overalls sitting on a bar stool telling people how smart he was. There wasn't a trace of Jack left when I was done, but there were a lot more like him.

Working on a truly unmolested car is such a pleasure, yet so rare.

My good friend, Vince, took me to a couple of auctions with him for tech advice. I told him "Each car we approach with interest, we will first inspect the window fur strips and see what is visible looking down into the door." He was backing away from cars like they were bee hives. Overspray, big shiny screws, rust, exposed parts; most of the time we didn't even get to see the plumbing hardware under the hood. It gets so predictable it is laughable.

Bernie

16 hours ago, lrlforfun said:

Be better if the oil filter was on the engine ;) Be even better if it was the one for this car...which it isnt

6 hours ago, alini said:

Be even better if it was the one for this car...which it isnt

Nah -- Cletus jus' added a cupla reducers, nipples and a stack of old filter gaskets I kep in th' draw.  Wurks purfekt!  :blink:

On 1/13/2017 at 9:00 PM, RivNut said:

In1965, the tilt wheel was standard equipment on all Rivieras.

But "tilt delete" was an option. I have encountered a few over the years, mostly in no option cars.

Tom

Well the 64 final bid was about 16K....anyone surprised??   Personally with those wheels, the plain interior, the painted bumpers, the frenched in tail lights   there is a taste required to own that look.  Then add the weird plumbing (I wanna say thats the Air compressor for the Air Bags....since there is a breather bolted to it.)  The shady return spring and the engine bay that just doesnt look maintained....alot of questionable maintenance requirements to throw money at to make it right.

1 hour ago, alini said:

Well the 64 final bid was about 16K....anyone surprised??   Personally with those wheels, the plain interior, the painted bumpers, the frenched in tail lights   there is a taste required to own that look.  Then add the weird plumbing (I wanna say thats the Air compressor for the Air Bags....since there is a breather bolted to it.)  The shady return spring and the engine bay that just doesnt look maintained....alot of questionable maintenance requirements to throw money at to make it right.

Holy Moley - 16 K?!?!?!

That's incredible. I am surprised.

You know what the others went for?

Thanks