Chimera

Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale (Jan.) Rivieras

So, Chris -- if Evilbay doesn't work out for you, you should have no trouble getting $50K for your '65 at B-J Scottsdale 2018!  ;)

The other two will be later on since they are museum grade pieces and part of the collection, so they should fetch a higher price

35 minutes ago, PWB said:

Holy Moley - 16 K?!?!?!

That's incredible. I am surprised.

You know what the others went for?

Thanks

I agree, that engine compartment would scare me away.

As Winston said, the others haven't went across the block yet.

But, if you go to their site, on the line just below the title click on "Results", then put in "Buick & Riviera" it will give you all past results for them.

29 minutes ago, EmTee said:

So, Chris -- if Evilbay doesn't work out for you, you should have no trouble getting $50K for your '65 at B-J Scottsdale 2018!  ;)

I cancelled the ebay auction shortly after I listed it because I kept getting messages that I was asking too much.  I have had in craigslist locally for 30K for about a month now.  Have a potential buyer coming to town this weekend.  we will see

8 minutes ago, alini said:

I cancelled the ebay auction shortly after I listed it because I kept getting messages that I was asking too much.  I have had in craigslist locally for 30K for about a month now.  Have a potential buyer coming to town this weekend.  we will see

What about Hemmings?

I still check it out. I would think a lot of old school folks still do. We have a larger audience and the cash for these special cars.

You have one fine automobile. Its gonna take patience.  The right deal will show.

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

So on the 1965 it says it is the 401 but appears to have the 425 valve covers?  So, is this truly the 401 with the valve covers put on later?  Sorry I am just starting to learn about the rivieras if this is obvious to others.

1 hour ago, PCriv said:

So on the 1965 it says it is the 401 but appears to have the 425 valve covers?  So, is this truly the 401 with the valve covers put on later?  Sorry I am just starting to learn about the rivieras if this is obvious to others.

The finned aluminum covers were not just a 425 item, they were what came on the dual quad engines. The 401 and 425, unless it was a dual quad 425 car, both had the regular steel covers from the factory.

Edited by Rivman (see edit history)

2 hours ago, PCriv said:

Pretty popular "swap" for some bling.  The only way to tell for sure if the engine is a 401 is to look at the engine serial code stamped into the block.  If it's a 401 the letter prefix for the year ( J=63, K=64, L=65, M=66 ) is followed by the letter T (If it's a 425, the year code will be followed by a W.  If it's a true 64 - 65 Super Wildcat, the year code will be followed by an X [ except in '66 when it's a Z code])  

You'd have to ask someone more familiar with the A bodies from the era - Skylark series - if the GS cars with the 400 (on paper anyway but really a 401) may have been equipped from the factory with the finned aluminum covers.

Ed

Hopefully there was a comma and some zeroes that follow that $59. ;)

5 hours ago, alini said:

The 65 went for $59000  I think that's a record for Barrett Jackson and first gen riviera

According to their results pages there was a '65 GS that went for $77,000, $84,700 with the commissions, in Scottsdale in 2010. The next closest one was another '65 GS for $49K in Palm Beach in 2011. 

Remember the Gooding auction exactly one year ago when this 65 GS went for $110,000 plus commission = $121,000- world record I suspect . I had registered to bid but never had a chance to raise my paddle as two guys in front of me kept their hands raised continually with  bids starting at $50k and going up in $10 K increments until it hit $110 and the other guy bailed  ! Very nice car with most everything correct except a few minor things ( carpet color and few little things under the hood that were no big deal)  . When I went to look at it the day before the auction , there were 5-10 people going all over this car the entire time I was there . Should have not even registered to bid after seeing that . Nice ones bring the bucks and the 1st ,2nd and 3rd Riviera's have a bright future for appreciation over the next few years IMHO. 

KReed

ROA 14549

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

A few minutes ago I watched a triple black, loaded `65 Bonneville convertible with a transplanted 421 HO 4 speed driveline go thru Russo and Steele for over $80K..about $90K with buyers commission. The car was drop dead gorgeous, a show quality car. I spoke with the consigner and he expected the car to reach $60K. I expected it to creep into the $40K range but 2 bidders entered into a bidding war and ran the bid from the lower $40`s to the final price. That doesnt mean any other `65 Bonneville is worth that much. I spoke with the losing bidder after the auction and he volunteered to me he was aware the bidding rose to twice the car`s probable value but his late father had a triple black Bonny just like it so the sky was the limit...almost. It takes many consistent auction results to diminish unusual circumstances such as this and to establish a reliable trend.

Tom Mooney

Well any way you look at it...if you get a bunch of rich people in a room that want something, cost goes up.

Get the right venue if you want to sell.

• Like 1

Wow! same color combo my 65 had from factory. Unfortunately original owner did not like the color and put a cheap 60's earl shieb red paint job over the maroon. All faded and peeling now. If it was not a daily driver I would repaint it the original color

Hello to all the Riviera gang members. I want to introduce myself as a first time poster and member to this forum.

I happen to be the person that purchased the  Black 65 Riviera at Barrett Jackson last Friday, docket #971.

My bid of 59K got me this beautiful car. It's as nice as the photos show. I flew down from Canada just to bid on this car and was not going home without it..

Look forward to this forum in the future. Hope this helps everyone with there 65 values in the future.

I really feel that the 63-65 Rivs are the next big thing in the luxury collector car craze.

Hope this answers the curiosity question of the Barrett Riv.....

Thanks.....

• Like 1

Welcome. We should all buy you a burger or something :)

Enjoy the car, it's lovely.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Devjas said:

Hello to all the Riviera gang members. I want to introduce myself as a first time poster and member to this forum.

I happen to be the person that purchased the  Black 65 Riviera at Barrett Jackson last Friday, docket #971.

My bid of 59K got me this beautiful car. It's as nice as the photos show. I flew down from Canada just to bid on this car and was not going home without it..

Look forward to this forum in the future. Hope this helps everyone with there 65 values in the future.

I really feel that the 63-65 Rivs are the next big thing in the luxury collector car craze.

Thanks.....

We'll look forward to hopefully see it in person someday.  Congratulations.

1 hour ago, Devjas said:

Thanks.....

Congratulations! Looks like a beautiful, honest and well optioned Riv...I can see a pristine wood grain wheel and a set of GS spinner hubcaps in your future!

Tom Mooney

1 hour ago, Devjas said:

Thanks.....

Black is beautiful! Congrats!

IMG_4578.JPG

• Like 1