54 Roadmaster for sale in Oklahoma - CL

JoelsBuicks

19 hours ago, Fr. Buick said:

Wow, heck of a deal.  The dash looks like a Super, but the headliner is for a Roadmaster...

Seen quite a few 72R's without the turned dash which due to the type interior ordered but never a 76R. The door panels are Roadmaster but again without the turned insert panel.

Joel if it is in your city, why not just go have a look see. Would be interested in seeing the data plate and vin. Report back before paying anywhere near the asking though:D

• Like 1

This Roadmaster 2-door hardtop looks very good,

and red and black is a good combination.

Consider making it a Forum policy to repeat the Craig's List text here,

so a Buick owner might have a better chance of getting a good car!

Here' the text and contact information to save frustration after the ad expires soon:

"1954 Buick Roadmaster Riviera - $10000 (Bartlesville) 

• contact name:

Wayne Bibles

• call or text:

☎ (918) 527-5764

Barn find in excellent condition. 50,000 original documented miles. One small dent in right front fender, no cracked glass or lenses, no interior rips or tears. Easy restoration for this very rare car. Was running until carburetor was removed & restored but not reinstalled."

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I'll go take a look at this car but it won't be until early next week.

I guess I have a dumb question, how can one ascertain the actual mileage?  Are there clues other than a continuum of service records that I could quickly check?  Maybe I shouldn't be so skeptical.

Also, if anyone is interested in this car, tell me what to look for and I'll try to get it covered.  I've got a 55 RM and I'm guessing it's the same ol' stuff - rust in the pans and rockers and behind the rear wheel.  Rust in the trunk. 

At this point I don't intend to make an offer unless they are just wanting it gone; which may be a possibility.  Why wouldn't someone pull her out, clean her up, make her run and do all of this in the springtime when the selling is better?

I'm wondering what a bargain price would be for this car in non-running condition but with minimal rust and 50K actual miles?  I'm talking about a price that you couldn't get too hurt if it turned out to have, say, a bad motor and tranny?

Ok, I'll report back

Joel

John, you are right - I don't like it either when folks do the very thing that I did with CL ads.  I was just being lazy and will try to do better next time.

One other thing, we're probably a pretty harmless bunch here but we've just posted someone's name and number that would have otherwise soon expired.  It may be that we want to be cognizant of that when we copy the CL information.  

Thanks,

Joel

Edited by JoelsBuicks (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JoelsBuicks said:

...we're probably a pretty harmless bunch here but we've just posted someone's name and number that would have otherwise soon expired....

The way I see it is that the seller has posted

his own information.  So it's clearly not private.

We're copying it for future reference;  and

2 weeks from now when the link is dead,

or 2 years from now, if he still has the car,

he'll be glad that someone is interested.

I once called for a car a YEAR after it was

advertised in Hemmings Motor News, and it was

still for sale.  With magazines, a long-term outlook

is easier.

No leather on 1954 Roadmaster seats, as I recall (well, maybe the convertible, but I've not been around enough of those to know). I owned an unrestored 50,000-mile 1954 76-R. It had cloth seats with vinyl edges. The cloth had thousands of tiny white dots in it, in a regular pattern and I seem to recall that it had vertical pleats every inch or two, but I could be confusing the pleats with a '56 76-R unrestored car that I also owned once. Carpet should be the Daytona weave type. Things to look for are do the flippers above the two door windows work properly? Is there much wear on the foot pedals? Is there much wear on the front seat skirts? Does the transmission fluid have a nice red color? Does the engine turn over by hand or is it stuck? Put a battery in it and see how many of the power windows work. People tend to slam the doors and that will crack the side glass if the window channel weatherstrip is worn out. Open the gas cap and smell the inside of the tank to get a handle on how bad the gas is. Turn the steering wheel back and forth to see how loose the front end is (how much free-play). The trunk lid likes to rust out on the lip. The rear quarter panels like to rust out just ahead of the rear wheel opening, down low.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

• Like 1

Verifying low mileage?  I would say the original interior speaks to a 50K car. 

Wiggle the throttle shaft at the base of the carb.  Play in there will point to high miles, as will a missing carb tag that suggests a rebuild in the past.

If you can, pull a front brake drum.  If the bearings say "New Departure," they are factory originals, and would also suggest low mileage.

Are there corroborated family stories on the history of the car?

Unless there are service receipts with dates and miles, you go by a convergence of probabilities.  A Roman legal maxim: one witness is no witness.

• Like 4

My first and main concern with the car is the interior. ALL 76R's had Swiss Dot cloth seat material in black, dark green or dark blue. This appears to be a black nylon surrey which would have been common in a Super. The bolsters were a roll and pleated cordaveen except for some very rare grey broadcloth ones. The shape of this bolster appears to be more along the lines of a Super also.  This headliner although having the bows, appears to be a cloth material and should be vinyl. I'm not implying that it is a Super interior, but rather that it appears to have been reupholstered at some point in its past OR those are seat covers over the original which would be a really really great thing. I still wonder about the dash not having the standard 76R turned panels. I need to look into that, that may be part of the special order custom package but it would be the first I have ever seen if so.

Other than that, the nice clean interior chrome, door panels, moldings, lack of wear on the foot pedals and original Groose Pointe carpet say it very well could be a 50,000 mile car. Look at that steering wheel, not a single crack, not even the one typical shrinkage crack. The passenger side arm rest looks good and the drivers side has the typical sag of any car over 30-40K miles.  The absence of dents on the front and especially the rear bumper guards and good overall condition of the bumpers, grill and ornaments also point to a low mileage car. Not sure why it is missing the Buick hood letters though.  Those are some old white walls, possibly the 2nd set. The original spare should still be in the car or at least the best of the original tires when taken off.

The seller says the miles are documented so that should tell the story. If the car is indeed solid with NO rust through, (it appears to have been undercoated which I consider a big plus), the paint is good enough to be buffed out,  if the trunk panels and carpet are in good condition and the engine bay/fender wells aren't covered with surface rust and the engine turns over by hand I'd say Jake is hittin the nail on the head ie should be worth 7-8,000. If those are seat covers over original seats, pay the man the asking and load her on the trailer.

I just noticed the seller gave the cars serial number in the ad. The 7 indicates it is a Roadmaster, the A =1954 and the first digit 1 that it was built in Flint. It was built some time after April so will have power brakes, (the very early 54's did not) I may be wrong but it does not appear the car has EZEye glass which most Roadmasters had.

Hopefully someone here ends up with this!!!

Upon looking over this again, someone here really needs to give this car some serious consideration. I consider 50k as less than half life for a 322 and other than possible stuck valves from sitting so long the engine should be of no big concern. Nor the transmission, it may leak for awhile but will likely seal back off after all the seals are wetted again.  If this is the original paint and IF the original seat upholstery is under those covers this car could be detailed and flipped for a 50-75% profit easily and 100% may not be out of the question. And I suspect that is going to be the fate of this car if someone here doesn't act pretty soon. 

If I was still buying fittyfo's  I'd be on the phone this morning. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Consider making it a Forum policy to repeat the Craig's List text here,

so a Buick owner might have a better chance of getting a good car!

I agree it's great when folks do that, but Forum policy? come on man, I been begging them to do a ONE TIME edit to their profile or add a signature to show where in the world they are or what car the own and you can see how many paid attention to that! Just sayin:rolleyes::D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Upon looking over this again, someone here really needs to give this car some serious consideration. I consider 50k as less than half life for a 322 and other than possible stuck valves from sitting so long the engine should be of no big concern. Nor the transmission, it may leak for awhile but will likely seal back off after all the seals are wetted again.  If this is the original paint and IF the original seat upholstery is under those covers this car could be detailed and flipped for a 50-75% profit easily and 100% may not be out of the question. And I suspect that is going to be the fate of this car if someone here doesn't act pretty soon. 

If I was still buying fittyfo's  I'd be on the phone this morning. 

I agree Lamar and I'm not a 50s Buick guy. I really like it and something about it says it should be looked at soon. If it was close to me I'd already be knocking on the door. December is the best time to buy cars like this. 

• Like 1

How on earth will I be able to see what's underneath those seat covers?

Lamar, I agree that you need this car.

I badly need this weekend to work on building my shop, else I'd be up there looking at that car.  I've got my priorities screwed up don't I!

I'll get my signature working again but I've got 18 Buicks to list - no fifty-fo's though.

Joel

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Imperial62 said:

NEVER MIND - POST DELETED BY SELLER.  Gone, baby gone.   ...and probably for full asking price....

At least we have all the information

copied onto our forum here!  See posting #4.

Anyone can call the seller to verify

whether the Buick is still for sale.

I recall one seller cancelling his ad 

because the date was getting close to

Christmas and he was busy with other things.

In that case, he readvertised it later.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

12 hours ago, Rooster said:

There's one less car in that posted lineup of yours, so a red RM should fit in nicely. C'mon mate, work on her.  Buy Rita a new diamond ring or something. Ring up and ask if it's still available or at least get a name of who bought it.

Ken, I gave him a ring but got the answering machine. Told him I would like to talk to him about the car, even if it is sold, as there were a couple of unique things about it I would like to learn about. Hopefully he will return my call and will let all know what I find.

In the mean time snoozers,  look at these and weep.

01414_4TKIhS4ZRnB_1200x9002.jpg00M0M_23gG6VkK4Sf_1200x900.jpg00P0P_2RKsj4hLATi_1200x900.jpg00G0G_agfmxQ5aEjA_1200x900.jpg00h0h_3puHGzAuXiB_1200x900.jpg00J0J_j8lfkggMeMm_1200x900.jpg00r0r_1zQN5xepnAr_1200x900.jpg00y0y_2YNp8NbsA64_1200x900.jpg

and finally.....is the original, never touched a butt upholstery under these seat covers....we may never know....

00303_4vXrGepJ8Ud_1200x900.jpg

01313_6x7ecmSjMlg_1200x900.jpg

• Like 2

I talked with the seller and the car did sell to a person in California who's father once owned a 54 Special.  In memory of his father, he wants to have the car restored.  A car carrier is scheduled to pick her up this weekend.

The seller is the third owner and he bought this car 16 years ago in hopes that he'd someday have it as a retirement project but he is moving out of the country and will not have facilities to work on the car.  He drove the car around the block when he bought it and drove it no more and it has sat in storage for that time.  He bought the car from the second owner who owned it for 15 years and had 20K miles on it when he bought it (This would be 1985 by my calc).

This seller told me that it had all of the safety inspection receipts and that those documented the 50.5K original miles.  He told me the car was rust free, original paint, and original interior as far as he knew.  He did not tell me the sell price.

The car came with a water color painting of the car done by a neighbor several years ago.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that the new owner probably used this forum posting to get this car and I'm completely fine with that :)

Joel

• Like 2

This car is headed to a friend in California who sadly lost his beautiful air conditioned Roadmaster to a bad accident and has been looking for a replacement for 2-3 years. He will most likely swap the AC into this car. So glad to see it going to a good home where it will surely be appreciated. All's well that ends well. :)

Here is the one that got totaled. It has always been my favorite of all 54 Roadmasters, a simply beautiful classic car.

IMG_1555.jpgIMG_1426.jpgIMG_1427.jpgIMG_1761.jpgIMG_1686.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrEarl said:

This car is headed to a friend in California who sadly lost his beautiful air conditioned Roadmaster to a bad accident and has been looking for a replacement for 2-3 years. He will most likely swap the AC into this car. So glad to see it going to a good home where it will surely be appreciated. All's well that ends well. :)

Here is the one that got totaled. It has always been my favorite of all 54 Roadmasters, a simply beautiful classic car.

IMG_1555.jpgIMG_1426.jpgIMG_1427.jpgIMG_1761.jpgIMG_1686.jpg

It is without a doubt a stunning Buick

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xp-300 said:

It is without a doubt a stunning Buick

It was Dave. That Arctic White with the whitewalls was beautiful...before the crash..... Not sure if he will leave this one red or try to turn it into what he had before. He is not certain what is up with the seats yet either but will let me know as soon as it arrives in CA.

• Like 3