Stearns Knight

alsancle

They aren't in the photos in the New York Auto Show or Centeral Park when new....thus they are destined for the trash........if you want them, I am certain AJ will have me send them to you............

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

They aren't in the photos in the New York Auto Show or Centeral Park when new....thus they are destined for the trash........if you want them, I am certain AJ will have me send them to you............

Ed, Can you ship them right to Mark please.

• Like 1

Just now, alsancle said:

Ed, Can you ship them right to Mark please.

It will bring joy to my heart to get those hideous thing out of the shop........👍👍👍

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2021 at 5:09 PM, Mark66A said:

Perhaps this group could help me solve a minor mystery about the '12 Stearns Knight. On it's dash is a plaque commemorating a tour (or caravan) in 1948. I have not been able to find any information about this event.

I came across this picture of the Stearns-Knight.  Although it was published in the May 1963 HCCA Gazette, it is another picture from the 1948 tour.  They were "Looking Back"

160595448_1911S-K.jpg.241d186fe768ec3371a6d736cca0e6c8.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

Got my nice factory equipment radiator cap back from the chromer.  Can't wait to install it.

image0.jpeg

What makes you think I will allow it on the car? Had a world famous collector at the shop today........and got great feedback on the S-K and 1917 White. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Impressive radiator cap @nowyouhaveanexpensivedeskornament - so as one of the say 5 ambassadors for SK (as hardly any see the light of day), you have to leave the Knight on the car as that is how the 6th person will get involved.   

And, car looked great at CCCA

I may have to leave the Knight on by popular demand,  but the "palm beach" topper is going.

Took the Stearns for a ride today........ continuing to work on getting it sorted. It’s still going to be a slow process for a few more months with all the family issues happening. Slow but steady......AJ, you can’t have my Palm Beach topper..........

6F3748A3-CDF9-4FD5-8A73-FE2281969B52.jpeg

54D72AE1-3B54-4B86-9B71-B235499A9E85.jpeg

• Like 3

Just now, Grimy said:

Oops, Ed just dropped it and the casting broke....

Nope.....that was a casting on a supercharged Auburn...........tripped over my own feet and dumped it on the floor, taking a chunk out of it...........you work on cars, and accidents do happen. Found the impossible casting and got everything fixed in less than a week..........rule number one is always do no harm. That was the first time in seven years I had to call an owner of a car and admit I had created an issue. At least it wasn’t carelessness in repairing the car.

3 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Nope.....that was a casting on a supercharged Auburn...........tripped over my own feet and dumped it on the floor, taking a chunk out of it...........you work on cars, and accidents do happen. Found the impossible casting and got everything fixed in less than a week..........rule number one is always do no harm. That was the first time in seven years I had to call an owner of a car and admit I had created an issue. At least it wasn’t carelessness in repairing the car.

Must be a supply chain problem with JB Weld in Florida these days...

• Haha 2

Now just wait a minute. Ed doesn't like the "aftermarket" mirrors... So I assume that applies to the aftermarket license topper. Therefore the topper should be sent to me along with the mirrors. I'm sure AJ agrees.

Other updates:

I have a supply of 1928 - no model number AC fuel pumps with broken ears. Anyone able to "weld" or solder the old pot metal successfully?  There are at least two variations of the fuel pumps -one with a different arm pivot point that is further from the crankcase.

The 7 passenger J I've been working on (for 5 years) is now in the upholstery shop. It will go back to the owner in California this coming summer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/24/2022 at 1:36 PM, Mark66A said:

Now just wait a minute. Ed doesn't like the "aftermarket" mirrors... So I assume that applies to the aftermarket license topper. Therefore the topper should be sent to me along with the mirrors. I'm sure AJ agrees.

Other updates:

I have a supply of 1928 - no model number AC fuel pumps with broken ears. Anyone able to "weld" or solder the old pot metal successfully?  There are at least two variations of the fuel pumps -one with a different arm pivot point that is further from the crankcase.

The 7 passenger J I've been working on (for 5 years) is now in the upholstery shop. It will go back to the owner in California this coming summer.

Actually, AJ's car was shown new with sidemount mirrors and he should start hunting for the proper set (nice set on it, but not the original set).  And I like mirrors, other than they really do not adjust to be able to see much (ie you still have limited vision),

Someone probably will have to at some point in time cast new fuel pump bodies as no good way to weld on ears.

48 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Actually, AJ's car was shown new with sidemount mirrors and he should start hunting for the proper set (nice set on it, but not the original set).  And I like mirrors, other than they really do not adjust to be able to see much (ie you still have limited vision),

Someone probably will have to at some point in time cast new fuel pump bodies as no good way to weld on ears.

I need somebody to photoshop this picture for me.

1929 Stearns-Knight J-8-90 Convertible Victoria-1 - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

It’s a cool car......I hope someone with talent ends up working on it to get it running. It’s gonna need a gentle touch.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, edinmass said:

It’s a cool car......I hope someone with talent ends up working on it to get it running. It’s gonna need a gentle touch.

So often cars like this get "restored" to either do not really come out right or never really get done.  I lean toward get it running and driveable, do light cosmetics, and enjoy - and once you have master the prior then move to the next level (or possibly still do not and beat yourself up in some other way).   

I see so many automobiles that are years of lost enjoyment (ex. the Auburn I am doing now has been apart since the late 1960's and really would have been fine as is - the desire to paint it shiny caused more harm than good over multiple owners and ...).

• Like 2

It now belongs to a gentleman from Iowa who has many years restoration experience.  My advise was to get it running and driving and as far as cosmetics, if possible, to leave the body on the frame for any paintwork etc.  I'm speaking as one who has had a basket case S-K project apart for more than 12 years.  Life happens and its a rare person who can dedicate many hours per week to these things.      

20 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Good advice Peter.

Personally, I would do zero cosmetic work to it,  but making it run and drive would be great.

The bare steel on the body would bother me personally.  However if the rest, or a lot,  of the remaining paint is original I think I'd find a way to match that for the bare areas.  As time goes I think we should "restore" the remaining original cars that exist more like they do with paintings and other antiques.  Sympathetic I think is the word.  To me the interior would depend on how mousy it is or moth eaten.  If it's generally sound I'd do what I can to clean it.  Too bad you can't "dry clean" wool interiors in place.  Maybe there is a way, I don't know.  They clean and restore antique garments.      

2 minutes ago, Peterwoyen said:

The bare steel on the body would bother me personally.  However if the rest, or a lot,  of the remaining paint is original I think I'd find a way to match that for the bare areas.  As time goes I think we should "restore" the remaining original cars that exist more like they do with paintings and other antiques.  Sympathetic I think is the word.  To me the interior would depend on how mousy it is or moth eaten.  If it's generally sound I'd do what I can to clean it.  Too bad you can't "dry clean" wool interiors in place.  Maybe there is a way, I don't know.  They clean and restore antique garments.      

I’m pretty sure you can oil  that body and it would never rust.

Fuel pump is back from the rebuild at Arthur Goulds/Parkers Packards in Mass for a "driver" rebuild........here are the photos........we have installed a new modern electric prime/vapor lock pump, and have had the tank cleaned. All the lines are copper, no rubber in the system anywhere, and now the new mechanical pump rebuild........sorting the fuel and ignition system BEFORE we try and install the new carburetor. Do it once, do it right, and then forget about it for the next 30 years....

Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 10.48.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 10.49.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 10.49.28 AM.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3