DREAM GARAGE

kfcarguy

Always thought a firehouse would be about perfect. Live above and have fun below.

Still have about 2000sq ft of living area and the same of garage/workshop. In a neighborhood with a HOV and sidewalks and in a low COLA southern resort town. Paradise.

I don't know at 120,000  I'm planning on having a stick built 60 by 72 foot garage with a 16 foot ceiling that is on my own property, right next to my house but just far enough away that I don't have to look at it if I don't want to.  Plus I kind of like my view,  as I'm not into racing.

There is a little less worry when it's on your property than somewhere else and no commute time to speak of when you want to go for a spin or just work on your own car. 

That picture was before we put a bunch of effort into landscaping and cut the brush down front.   The garage will be out back behind the other garage.  That photo as well was before we did a bunch of work cleaning up the place.  

I guess it's an option if you don't have space.  That was the criteria of the new place we have.  I needed some space. 

IMG_6489.JPG

IMG_6495.JPG

IMG_8512.JPG

All,

I guess you choose your garage based upon what you use it and your cars for - I love to drive my Kissel Kars in heavy urban traffic and M1 Car Condo is right on Michigan Highway no. 1 which runs right into downtown Birmingham and Royal Oak - Best spot for America's largest car show - Woodward Dream Cruise !! At 40,000 cars and a million car spectators, you can't get a better venue - IF that is what you want your garage to support.

I also have a small car restoration shop 3 miles away for the dirty work. Not for showcasing.

Thanks, RON 

IMG_2746[1617].JPG

IMG_2511 [894284].JPG

IMG_1954 [488639].JPG

34 minutes ago, JACK M said:

I have a lift in my shop for working on them.

But I can never understand why one would find stacking their cars to be convenient.

You can fit twice as many cars in the same square footage.   Higher ceilings are much cheaper than bigger foot print.  In a perfect world each car would have its own garage door but there are practical limitations to everything!

• Like 1

I'm hoping with the lay out of my building,  I will be able to drive any car out the big door in the center of the 60 foot wall so I don't have to move a bunch of cars to get to one,  which means you will most likely never drive it.  Extra garage doors around here mean extra heat loss and alot of extra cost for individual doors,  plus no wall space where there is a door.

Hopefully my thinking/ planning is correct.  Changes are much more expensive later.  After 41 loads of fill and a total bill of 11200.  for dozer work and stump removal I can't afford to do much more dirt work or afford to make it any bigger.   I still have to heat the thing as well.   The 16 foot ceiling will give me a lift option or the option of a second floor for storage on the outside walls.  

8 hours ago, padgett said:

Given the way traffic for the mouse has gotten silly & since no longer need a world class airport weekly, am thinking about something about 40-50 miles north. But then I imagine what it would take to move...

I can tell you all about moving,  having moved a house I had packed full of stuff and my Shop/ storage unit and trailer all in the last 3 months.  I hope I am done for a while.  I still have a few loads to go along with my 40 foot neon sign I still have to get down off the shop walls. I went to do that today but found the batteries in my man lift were marginal and old enough,  I decided to get all new ones.  600+ .   It never ends.   I hope to be finally moved before the weekend so I can close on the property.

I guess it wouldn't be bad if i wasn't moving it all into a smaller space and on top of that one that isn't done,  and being heated with a temporary heat source.  I was out trying to get the pad for the fuel tank ready before dinner.  I might go out and try to get the tank on it later.  

Convenience is nice where I am as well.  Unfortunately the sidewalk doesn't start until the bottom of the hill but it's a fairly quiet side road.  There is a major Supermarket almost at the end of my drive, 2 gas stations, a Mc Donalds, the interstate is less than 1 mile but you can't hear the noise from it unless the wind is blowing in the right direction and we are on the very edge of a small town.  The school is about 1 mile from our house as are most other conveniences.  It's nice to be almost right in town but secluded.  You can't even see the town in the photo but it's just off to the left and down in the valley.  The interstate is in the opposite direction.  Really a great location that we stumbled onto.   We are about 5-7 minutes from the actual village and lake in Lake George as well.  20 minutes the other direction gets you into a huge ski center if you like winter stuff.  

Well I have two double & one single garage doors so that is only three and the French doors on the end of the 14x23 "family room" just happen to be four feet each (and no center post). Also have a rule that have no more cars than inside spaces. Of course very little is visible from the street.

I am in the county but in a development with HOA and covenants two miles from Universal Studios and about 16 from the mouse. Also before I retired it was important that I was 20 minutes from a world class airport.

No HOA here.  We are about 45 minutes from an international airport.  Cheaper taxes and a little warmer winter and we would be close to having it all.  Maybe just a few more back roads like in the farming areas would be a bonus as well for touring with the older cars.  Even the side roads around here seem to require you to get moving along even though there isn't alot of traffic. 

Within two miles in any direction and you are in at least a 45 with varying traffic and am about five from where I-4 crosses Florida's turnpike. One reason all of my cars must be able to cruise at 70 with the AC on.

OTOH Exits can back up a mile or more. Just too many people.

Every one has a different idea of a dream garage and mine is to have a dream garage / workshop. Mine seems to be different than many that I see. I bought the property 32 years ago, then gutted the 3200 Sq. Ft. barn, pored a floor then rewired new hydro poles and a 600 volt transformer. But the only problem was with the city bylaw when they found I was not farming and the property taxes tripled. I am retired seven years now and try and get out to the barn to get my hands greasy or smelling from smoke from welding every day. My present project is restoring a clear vision gas pump. No matter how big your building is in a matter of time you will wish you went bigger. 

I am still saving that empty spot for the right pre 16 car to get my hands dirty with.

As for location I have no sidewalks, street lights, a school or playground near by, no city water or sewer. But I do have a natural gas, a 300 acre corn field across the road, McDonald's (been there one time ) and three gas stations with high-test ethanol free gas all a mile away. 

The only heavy traffic on my road is the 350 Hp. green  tractor from down the road going by.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Sounds like you need a cow.

Is nothing as good as having your shop at your home, can be reminded of the same unfinished project for a year or two.

Have 2,000 sq ft of garage/workshop space, just need to clean it out again. Is a never ending battle. Think I may just have them drop a trash pod.

Wife and I hosted a tour this past summer and enquired of the cars being able to do a lap on Mosport Race Track as we have in the past. New owners will allow but have to rent the track for the day at $10,000. so it did not happen. 

1 hour ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Not mine, just watched it on you tube. You could buy a nice car collection, for what that car lift would cost to build.

May be that is why the underground garage is empty. He blue all his money on the lift. 

11 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

It is neat to see people build stuff like that, I am sure the market is small for buyers in that price range that want that kind of set up.

Have a friend that had large summer home on the water with acreage. He built a large garage that blended in with his house for his cars. I remember him saying that people would walk away because of the garage. You do not want to put a large garage on just any property if you may sell at some time. It can really narrow the playing field at sale time.

17 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

May be that is why the underground garage is empty. He blue all his money on the lift. 

If the place is worth 50 million I suspect that any potential buyer would be quite well off.

I don't think my collection would make a down payment. But I have always thought that Lake Tahoe would be a great place to have a summer home.

I love the way it disappears what with the landscaping and boulders on the lift.

My wife was thinking that the large garage would be a problem on our property for resale.  I think it may narrow the market a bit but I'm very close to a large lake with a lot of boats and Rv's.  I think it will be an asset as it will be a perfect storage building for boats Rv's or all the other toys (side by sides, snowmobiles, etc.  ) 

I also plan on a stick built clear span building that will blend in.  It could easily be converted into living space, so that's always a bonus in this area.

We'll see if I ever try to sell it.  You could always just doze it and make a Tennis Court ;)

Hey guys, I will sell you an over 4000 Sq Ft shop with lift, plus another shop over 4500 Sq Ft to store your cars on 4 acres in Hill Country of Tx, not far from world famous Lukenbach for under $200K. My father had a dozen cars stored with room for more. I will even throw in a lifetime's collection of mechanic tools, including multiple engine lifts, drill press, sanders, welding equipment, large steam cleaner, kerosene heaters, two big tool chests full of speciality and regular tools, etc, etc. I'm in the real estate industry in Oregon and I'm shocked how cheap things are here.

There's also a 5 acre parcel across the street with a 2002 manufactured home on it. Live in it while you build your dream home! :D

40 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

Hey guys, I will sell you an over 4000 Sq Ft shop with lift, plus another shop over 4500 Sq Ft to store your cars on 4 acres in Hill Country of Tx, not far from world famous Lukenbach for under $200K. My father had a dozen cars stored with room for more. I will even throw in a lifetime's collection of mechanic tools, including multiple engine lifts, drill press, sanders, welding equipment, large steam cleaner, kerosene heaters, two big tool chests full of speciality and regular tools, etc, etc. I'm in the real estate industry in Oregon and I'm shocked how cheap things are here.

There's also a 5 acre parcel across the street with a 2002 manufactured home on it. Live in it while you build your dream home! :D

You want to sell real estate you should come to Toronto. The agents are advertising a house coming soon on the market then start a bidding war. They sell for more than the listing price. The average house has gone up over $200,000. in the past two years. Agents are making a fortune. Think I am kidding check it out.

1 minute ago, Joe in Canada said:

You want to sell real estate you should come to Toronto. The agents are advertising a house coming soon on the market then start a bidding war. They sell for more than the listing price. The average house has gone up over $200,000. in the past two years. Agents are making a fortune. Think I am kidding check it out.

I believe you. It's that way in Oregon too, at least Portland.