Can't seem to sell an engine...interesting markets today

trimacar

Well, posted a complete 1927 Dodge fast four engine and transmission, for sale, seems to be little interest...

Oh well...sometime you're in sync with the market, sometimes not.

Reminds me of an old car I had elected to drive on the highway one day with a friend of mine, and we were being passed by some, and others we'd pass.

His comment was that people driving slower than us were stupid, and anyone driving faster than us was an idiot.

So, our way of driving was the correct one, everyone else was wrong, in his opinion.  Hope that one day everyone can drive the same speed, since, obviously, my cars have limits.

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

Wow, wish it were from an Everett, a Tudhope, or even a Henway......then could move it easily!  Thanks, it is what it is, and no metal sculpting will make it fit those cars!  dc

A Henway ? At least 5 Lb. that way me and the Miss will have left overs for lunch tomorrow!!

Those engines interchange with Maxwell 35 but they are scarcer than hens teeth. Yes I know I had to say it but you started it.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Long before the present (2008-to date) economic anxieties made lots of people reluctant to spend,  the hobby was always unpredictable...

Back when flipping cars to pay wife's tuition, pocked up dirty but quite nice Edsel Wagon cheap--owner long disgusted, no one could get to run, and it didn't until a pint of gas was poured in the carb (some of those FOMOCO V8s took "cold natured" to whole new depths)...

Cleaned up quite nicely, ran well, collectors were picking up Edsels regularly by then, thought it'd go quickly for mech parts---was I wrong...finally "sold" for purchase price + approx $1 hr for cleanup time...

If you have the space, just keep it awhile; things are even more unsettled economy-wise today...

Probably a desirable engine , but only to someone who has one of these cars. Engines are expensive to ship ! As you yourself have found in your attempt to sell it to the racing guys. So many of us need various big parts , engines, rear ends ,frames but I think such parts are generally only advertised locally . Too much trouble involved with shipping big things, and you generally have to price at a give away level to get any interest.  Even at swap meets it seems most sellers only bring pictures of bigger items as they know that often they end up bringing the stuff back home again.

Greg in Canada

• Like 1

You are not to far from Pennsylvania and the heart of the AACA world.  Have you advertised it up there?  Remember a lot of old car guys are not Internet savoy or willing to go very far either.  How about an ad in Hemming's Motor News to reach the old timers.

I have a couple 392 Hemis under the bench that I could sell in an instant.

However I am sitting on them in hopes of finding some old Mopars that are not worth restoring so I can build a couple more rat rods.

Any late twenties, early thirties junkers or picked parts cars out there? Free would be best.....Oh yea, I will need titles as well.

Speaking of engines.  I have a 60 Chrysler 383 tall deck with a very nice block from a 60,000 mile survivor type car.  No pistons or rods (long story)  I do have the crank complete heads and a bunch of other stuff.  It still has all it's original black paint on it. I even have the aluminum bellhousing and torque converter .  A perfect setup if you have an engine with a tired or cracked block.  or even someone who needs a good set of heads.  

I had it on the Local CL and no interest.  It has to go in a week and I can't see scrapping it.  It's in my shop.   I would give it to a forum member if they want to pick it up in Warrensburg NY.  You can't beat that price.