Rivieras and Riviera parts for sale on local Craigslist, eBay, etc.

RivNut

https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/d/gardnerville-1965-buick-riviera-gran/7360100291.html

1965 Buick Riviera Gran Sport - $45,000 (Topaz Lake NV)

image 5 of 11
00c0c_ePNsaAj3LoOz_0x20oM_600x450.jpg
00505_cVedIct5nL4z_0x20oM_600x450.jpg
00G0G_jpKh8Fs3sgHz_0x20oM_600x450.jpg
00B0B_2ym1DffhtzMz_0x20oM_600x450.jpg
00v0v_jTO8CWLtCXtz_0x20oM_600x450.jpg
00U0U_5n7sZvVM37Vz_0x20oM_600x450.jpg
00q0q_899uYbuzoF7z_0x20oM_600x450.jpg
00606_fjAcutA1yS3z_0x20oM_600x450.jpg
01111_7UWcR9mE7sqz_0x20oM_600x450.jpg
00000_j07Jw0ICBDpz_0x20oM_600x450.jpg

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

1965 Buick Riviera GS

VIN: 494475H9046XX
condition: excellent
cylinders: 8 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 137000
paint color: custom
size: full-size
title status: clean
transmission: automatic
type: coupe

This is a small letter Gran Sport with all matching numbers, I have rebuilt entire running gear I dropped the drive line and mufflers and under coated the entire underneath then I had the drive shaft balanced before hooking it back up, I just had the tranny serviced and the carbs rebuilt and replaced the clam shell motor, I also just put on front disc brakes, I still have the original equipment I took off, this is a highly optioned Gran Sport as u will see in interior photos I took, the whole interior was replace by previous owner, this Riviera rides and corners as well as my new 300C, I've owned six 65 Riviera's three of them were GS this one is the best of them all, I have all invoices from work done by myself and previous owner, come drive it and you'll buy it, I also have a 57 Oldsmobile Super 88 2 dr ht which had a rotisserie rebuild which I'll be posting as soon as I shot the photos.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, cjp69 said:

https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/d/gardnerville-1965-buick-riviera-gran/7360100291.html

1965 Buick Riviera Gran Sport - $45,000 (Topaz Lake NV)

image 5 of 11
00c0c_ePNsaAj3LoOz_0x20oM_600x450.jpg
00505_cVedIct5nL4z_0x20oM_600x450.jpg
00G0G_jpKh8Fs3sgHz_0x20oM_600x450.jpg
00B0B_2ym1DffhtzMz_0x20oM_600x450.jpg
00v0v_jTO8CWLtCXtz_0x20oM_600x450.jpg
00U0U_5n7sZvVM37Vz_0x20oM_600x450.jpg
00q0q_899uYbuzoF7z_0x20oM_600x450.jpg
00606_fjAcutA1yS3z_0x20oM_600x450.jpg
01111_7UWcR9mE7sqz_0x20oM_600x450.jpg
00000_j07Jw0ICBDpz_0x20oM_600x450.jpg

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

1965 Buick Riviera GS

VIN: 494475H9046XX
condition: excellent
cylinders: 8 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 137000
paint color: custom
size: full-size
title status: clean
transmission: automatic
type: coupe

This is a small letter Gran Sport with all matching numbers, I have rebuilt entire running gear I dropped the drive line and mufflers and under coated the entire underneath then I had the drive shaft balanced before hooking it back up, I just had the tranny serviced and the carbs rebuilt and replaced the clam shell motor, I also just put on front disc brakes, I still have the original equipment I took off, this is a highly optioned Gran Sport as u will see in interior photos I took, the whole interior was replace by previous owner, this Riviera rides and corners as well as my new 300C, I've owned six 65 Riviera's three of them were GS this one is the best of them all, I have all invoices from work done by myself and previous owner, come drive it and you'll buy it, I also have a 57 Oldsmobile Super 88 2 dr ht which had a rotisserie rebuild which I'll be posting as soon as I shot the photos.

If it's a true early production, small letter Gran Sport, wouldn't the vinyl top be incorrect, since it was a spring of '65 option? 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, jframe said:

If it's a true early production, small letter Gran Sport, wouldn't the vinyl top be incorrect, since it was a spring of '65 option? 

Yes, owner says it is true early production, and vinyl top was added during the restoration. 

• Like 3

What do you all think about the gold GS listed above?  I’ve been looking for a nice driver or better GS for awhile now and this one look very nice in the pictures and description.

I would love a midnight blue GS,  but haven’t seen one come up for sale in years,  so finally decided to open up to other colors.

22 hours ago, Cotton930 said:

What do you all think about the gold GS listed above?  I’ve been looking for a nice driver or better GS for awhile now and this one look very nice in the pictures and description.

I would love a midnight blue GS,  but haven’t seen one come up for sale in years,  so finally decided to open up to other colors.

I suspect your query has received no responses because others may well not be aware of it seeing as it is not in a separate thread to draw attention.

Perhaps starting a new thread would generate thoughts about the vehicle.

Hope this may help.

Jim Vesely

ROA # 7437

BCA # 39477

6 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

The seller may call it blue but this car is turquoise mist.  A great color IMO. 

Probably one of those "check lists" you have to complete before you can get your listing to post.  Turquoise Mist is not a choice so you pick what's closest.  Everyone knows that the Riviera is RWD and has an automatic transmission.  

• Like 2

On 8/5/2021 at 10:42 AM, Cotton930 said:

Looks killer to me.....I love understated colors. Sounds like its been well loved with lots of attention.

1970 Buick Riviera GS coupe on Bring A Trailer. Regal Black (original color was Silver Mist Metallic) with a black vinyl top and a black front bench seat.

Located in Toronto and currently bid up to $6,500 with five days to go. A few BaT commentators have noted where it departs from stock. NMOC.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-buick-riviera-gs/

1970 Buick Riviera GS

Edited by J3Studio (see edit history)

31 minutes ago, EmTee said:

In my case, never...  That said, aside from Gettysburg, I could count on one hand the number of 1970 Rivieras I've seen in person.

There weren't even that many 1970s at Gettysburg, though there were a ton of second generation cars.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, EmTee said:

1970 was a strike year at GM, so I imagine that tended to put a lid on the number of cars built that year (except of course for LS6 Chevelles...).

Sales slipped almost 30% from 1969, but I wonder how much of that was the strike and how much of that was the general aging of the second generation platform, the arrival of the next generation Thunderbird, and (perhaps) the brand new Monte Carlo. Sales of the Eldorado actually increased significantly—and all of GM was on strike. Buick did still manage to produce 37,366 1970 Rivieras.

• Thanks 1

I read something a long time ago that the sales of the 1965 Riviera slipped because GM brought out it’s new fast back stying in 1965 - Buick Wildcat, Chevrolet Impala, etc and the 65 Riviera was behind in keeping up. Buick came out with the fast back in 1966. 1965 production figures were around 35K then jumped to 42K in 1966 and climbed steadily through 1969 then took a big drop in 1970.  It all has to do with being the first kid on the block with something new. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RivNut said:

I read something a long time ago that the sales of the 1965 Riviera slipped because GM brought out it’s new fast back stying in 1965 - Buick Wildcat, Chevrolet Impala, etc and the 65 Riviera was behind in keeping up. Buick came out with the fast back in 1966. 1965 production figures were around 35K then jumped to 42K in 1966 and climbed steadily through 1969 then took a big drop in 1970.  It all has to do with being the first kid on the block with something new. 

This is a great observation. What many Riviera fans now think of as the ultimate Riviera actually looked a little dated in 1965. Buick updated the first generation by cleaning up the styling and adding the hidden headlamps, but the basic design was from early 1960—and it showed.

RivieraProduction.png

• Like 2

Thanks for that chart - I remember you posting it awhile ago as well.  Two things stand out to me: (1) the 3rd-gen basically resulted in 'no gain' sales-wise (presumably due to the love/hate styling) and (2) 6th-gen is the all-time sales winner.  The success of the 6th-gen doesn't surprise me at all; those were really the right size at the right time and the styling was really contemporary and classy.  My mother had a white '83 and I liked it a lot and have an eye out for getting a 6th gen if the right opportunity comes around...  ;)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EmTee said:

Thanks for that chart - I remember you posting it awhile ago as well. Two things stand out to me: (1) the 3rd-gen basically resulted in 'no gain' sales-wise (presumably due to the love/hate styling) and (2) 6th-gen is the all-time sales winner. The success of the 6th-gen doesn't surprise me at all; those were really the right size at the right time and the styling was really contemporary and classy.

You are very welcome—the chart is a) a little prettier now but b) still looks better in print. The sixth generation was immensely successful, with average sales of about 53,000 a year—representing fully one-third of total Riviera sales between 1963 and 1999.

I've owned five of the 6th generation Rivieras. I probably buy a sixth IF it had the 403 from the 78-79 Rivieras and the TH425 from the early front wheel drive Toronados along with the final drive ratios from a T-type.   With my last one I finally overcame the eventual/perpetual problems with the air ride rear suspension.  These cars ride like a dream and I can see why they were so popular in the era of 55 mph speed limits.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

The 1979-1985 Riviera was one of the last vehicles styled directly under the the supervision of William Mitchell, General Motors Vice President of Design. He was personally invested in the 1979 - 1985 styling, very proud of its execution, and without whom there would in all probability have been no Riviera after 1978.

Of course, Mitchell was directly responsible for the inception of the Riviera in the first place. 

David Holls, under Bill Mitchell, was chief designer of the Buick studio beginning in 1961 and responsible for for the second generation 1966-1970 Rivieras. 

William Porter, who also worked for many years under Michell, was responsible for the eighth generation 1995-1999 Riviera as chief Buick designer at that time..

Jim Vesely

ROA # 7437

BCA # 39477

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jj5794 said:

The 1979-1985 Riviera was one of the last vehicles styled directly under the the supervision of William Mitchell, General Motors Vice President of Design. He was personally invested in the 1979 - 1985 styling, very proud of its execution, and without whom there would in all probability have been no Riviera after 1978.

William Porter, who also worked for many years under Mitchell, was responsible for the eighth generation 1995-1999 Riviera as chief Buick designer at that time.

An expansion on what @jj5794 has said, from the still very unfinished Riviera Project:

Once again, Buick emphasized the first generation Riviera as it attempted to sell a brand new Riviera. They had a powerful ally—Bill Mitchell was determined to exit his position as Vice President, Styling Section on a high note, and he decided that the forthcoming trio of E-body coupes could sing that tune.
    Design work on the new coupes actually began in late 1973 but progressed slowly; press coverage initially suggested a 1978 model year release. In fact, the future existence of all three of GM’s prestige coupes was called into question by the first OPEC oil crisis and its aftershocks.
    All three of the coupes were designed in the same studio. Many years later, designer David North would recall that Bill Mitchell seemed to care most about the Riviera.

[…]

The new Riviera may not have been beautiful, but it sure was handsome. At the time, it seemed that Buick had somehow tricked Cadillac and Oldsmobile into making their cars look quite similar, but the story is actually more nuanced and interesting. Nevertheless, the Riviera got all the differentiation within the E-body platform. Car and Driver’s review in their November 1978 issue reinforced this opinion “… the Riviera somehow manages to make the others look like rather plain sisters.”

Some contemporary sources believe that William Porter was also responsible for the seventh generation (1986-1993) design, in addition to that of the eighth generation.

Edited by J3Studio (see edit history)
  • Like 2