8 more years..

nick8086

I saw the episode on "American Hot Rod" with Boyd Coddington, where his crew flew out to open the "time capsule" that the pictured Plymouth Jack posted was in.  They thought they would raise this car from it's storage position and had a battery standing by to start the car. Little did they know that the safe storage was full of water.

Well needless to say it didn't turn out like they had planned.

There was a Cosworth Vega. In fact there is one for sale here, not in the best of shape - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Other-survivor-/331971547028?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4d4b0bcf94:g:95oAAOSwzaJX2hl5&item=331971547028

s-l1600.jpg

The Cosworth Vega Twin-Cam engine is a 122 cu in (1,999 cc) inline-four with die-cast aluminum alloy cylinder block and Type 356 aluminum alloy, 16-valve cylinder head with double overhead camshafts (DOHC) held in a removable cam-carrier that doubles as a guide for the valve lifters. Each camshaft has five bearings and is turned by individual cam gears on the front end. The camshafts, water pump and fan are driven by a fiberglass cord-reinforced neoprene rubber belt, much like the Vega 140 cu in (2,294 cc) engine. The cylinder head has sintered iron valve seats and iron cast valve seats. Race-bred forged aluminum pistons with heat-treated forged steel crankshaft and connecting rods enhance durability.[6]

The engine has a stainless steel exhaust header and Bendix electronic fuel injection (EFI), with four injector valves, an electronic control unit (ECU), five independent sensors and two fuel pumps. Some 60 lb (27 kg) lighter than the SOHC Vega engine,[4] it develops maximum power at 5,600 rpm and is redlined at 6,500 rpm, whereas the SOHC Vega engine peaks at 4,400 rpm and runs to 5,000 rpm. Final ratings are 110 hp (82 kW) at 5,600 rpm, 107 lb·ft (145 N·m) of torque at 4,800 rpm.[7] 3,508 of the 5,000 engines were used. GM disassembled about 500 and scrapped the remainder.[8]

220px-1976_Cosworth_Vega_-2673.jpg

In 1978 I needed a "new" car to drive to work at my first real job- fresh out of college. I stopped in at a friend's auto recycling business, back then we called it a junkyard. He had just purchased a 1976 Cosworth Vega from a "repo yard". It had but 28,000 miles and it was actually affordable. Priced right with a '76 Corvette, Chevy advertised it as "One Vega for the Price of Two!". I didn't care, I got in the thing for under $2000. Over the next decade I drove the Cosworth about 140,000 miles; joined the Cosworth Vega Owners Association (still active today); hosted the CVOA National Round-Up in Historic Gettysburg,Pa; and learned how to tune one of the most advanced engines GM ever built. When I caught the autocross bug, the Bosch EFI gave way to twin Webers and a hotter camshaft. A writer with Autoweek magazine drove the car and then published an article in the magazine- declaring that my car unlocked the potential that GM had bottled up in the little twin-cam. This morning, you drove past countless sedans with twin overhead cam engines with fuel injection. In 1976, not so much. The Cosworth Vega showed GM it COULD build a nice small car with decent performance. Very soon you'll see one of the carefully preserved examples on the show-field at Hershey. When you do, stop for a moment and consider its place in automotive history.

Cosworth.jpg

• Like 2