BCA Show in Allentown PA A+++++

John348

I know it should be on the Buick Forum, but as a non Buick owner who went as a spectator I felt this was a good spot.

I Took a ride out to Allentown PA to see the show yesterday with a few of my local Region Chevy Club friends. (none of us even own a Buick) Some real, real nice cars, and some real nice people, but most of all just an enjoyable day with my friends! It was a shame that the weather cut the day short for the people there. Worst part of it for us, was that it too me 5 1/2 hours to travel 140 miles back to my home on Long Island FOR NO REAL REASON.

Many thanks to the BCA members who shared their cars and the people who worked hard to put the event on. Nice site for an event, I understand the AACA Grand National will be using the same site in 3 years, it will be good, just (bring the sun block was not that much shade).

I will put some pictures up later, don't have many enough to give you a sample. I was told that there was over 700 cars there which is great to hear. On the way home we all noticed that there was a rather large number of  four door cars that were restored.

• Like 2

My buddy went and he raved about it to me on the phone for an hour! He thought about asking me if I wanted to go with him but he got an offer to go with someone who had a room down there and couldn't pass that up. All good and well because my wife went to a dog show Friday and I had to baby set our pooch! I couldn't pass on that considering I attend 15 car shows a year to her one dog event! Saturday I spent pumping out our flooded basement, so that was out too! Still, if I had gone, you would be looking at at least 150 pictures from the event on this site today. Next week is Mccungie. Maybe then!

Nothing gets past you guys...you are correct about the alternating East/West AGNMs. The East/West, however, it is a guideline or policy we strive for but not a by-law.  In the end we have to take events where there is a group willing to host us.  The opportunity to use the Bulgari complex was unique. We regret we will not be out West that year but the AGNM should be very special at Bulgari's great location. 

• Like 1

Steve,

When did the AACA actually have a Grand National on the West coast?

Mark, the general policy is East and West of the Mississippi not necessarily on the coast.  So we have been to central and western areas of Tucson, Moline, Santa Rosa, Topeka, Kalamazoo, Northglen (Colorado) and Cedar Rapids

Tommy is correct - 2011 was the year after which my Packard had received her Senior, and I thought about taking it to Santa Rosa. Unfortunately my schedule had a conflict, and I ultimately decided to use it as a Tour-Driver instead. 

Just a tease. Over 200 pictures posted on the AACA FB page. It was a once in a lifetime event. A huge Thank you to Mr. Bulgari for hosting the event and more importantly for what he has done to preserve american automotive history!

IMG_1851.JPG

Well I picked up my camera and here are the few photos I had taken, again great show and a rather impressive number of brand specific vehicles! There was a huge spectrum of cars covering most of the history of the brand. I wish that I did not sell my "H" body 77 Skyhawk last year, it would have been the only one there.

019.JPG

018.JPG

017.JPG

015.JPG

014.JPG

1 hour ago, Bhigdog said:

And not a word said about the helicopter making slow passes barely 200 feet directly above the show field and the crowd...........Bob

I did not see that, but I did see the drone smash into the screen. Just above the Hagerty Booth. The drone thing sort of amazes me, I remember when of my son's took up R/C airplanes, we had all sorts of rules as to where and when to fly it and I even had to buy additional insurance for one of those just in case moments.

I am not a big fan of low flying helicopter's but I feel a little better knowing that here is a pilot who knows what they are doing in control, not the case with these drones

Agree about the drones. The FAA is trying to get some semblance of order but anyone with a few hundred dollars is in the pilot's seat. The copter was very surprising to me. I was holding my breath the whole time. Pilot skill would have been irrelevant if he had a mechanical failure at his low altitude..........Bob

4 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Agree about the drones. The FAA is trying to get some semblance of order but anyone with a few hundred dollars is in the pilot's seat. The copter was very surprising to me. I was holding my breath the whole time. Pilot skill would have been irrelevant if he had a mechanical failure at his low altitude..........Bob

Bob, I don't know,  in a helicopter low altitude, high altitude mechanical failure it is not gliding down to safety. I think the drones have a better chance of hurting someone

7 hours ago, John348 said:

Bob, I don't know,  in a helicopter low altitude, high altitude mechanical failure it is not gliding down to safety. I think the drones have a better chance of hurting someone

A 4 pound drone won't cause the loss of life a 4000 pound helicopter will. From the 200 feet or so the helicopter was operating at it would have been only seconds from failure to impact. The FAA is very specific about operating over assemblies of people for just that reason...........Bob

Federal Air Regulation part 91 General operating rules:

§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure