Need advice

Guest Futurecarowner

Guest Futurecarowner

Ok so here is the deal I am a 16 year old who loves old cars and has wanted one for as long as I could remember I really want a 60s truck or car does not matter I love all 60s styles and I am in a position now that by May or June I can save at most 3000 dollars to purchase a car that runs and needs some cosmetic work that I can handle I was wondering if anyone had any advice or car suggestions thanks! 

Buy the best car or truck you can find that is together and running. My first car was a 1926 Model T I bought when I was 16, a project that I got to 50% done when I sold it years later. Read as much as you can about the vehicles you really like. Bob

Good advice on both points.  When I go to a car show I always make a mental note of a good buy for $5000 or less and there is plenty available to the patient.  It is quite possible to buy a drivable old car for $3000 and to the above I would ad the following tips:

1.  Be open to four doors, full size models and 1970s & 1980s cars

2.  Mechanical work is much cheaper and easier to deal with than body and paint or especially rust replacement.  Avoid a car with serious rust 

3.  Note that cars 1967 and later have safer dual master cylinders and often shoulder belts and GM cars 1971 and later most often have disc brakes of a widely used design that is easy with service and parts.

Lots of good advice here on the forum, post anytime and good luck, Todd C

Edited by poci1957 (see edit history)

You have gotten some good advice about buying the best car you can. I will add, you should be looking for a simple car like a slant six Valiant, Dart or Barracuda or a six cylinder Falcon Comet or a Chev Nova, Pontiac Tempest or similar. In the sixties all car makers made compact cars that were very simple and economical, these are the easiest and cheapest to fix. Avoid luxury cars like Tbirds and Buicks with big V8, air conditioning and power everything. Try to get a simple car with six cylinder or small V8.

Then there is mileage and condition. You want one that has not been modified or parts taken off. Ideal would be a one owner car that has been garaged and not too many miles. Probably out of your price range but you never know your luck.

Hit up all the old car shows and cruise nights in your area. Make friends with the old timers. They can be very helpful in finding a car, picking a good car, and keeping it in good condition.

If you monitor Craigslist and Kijiji you will find some good buys within a few weeks.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Guest Grumpy's Auto Shop

I could wax philosophic on this for at least a week.

Rule #1 is NEVER fall in love at first sight.  Rather, you should use the 'Bus Theory', which basically says 'If you miss one, another will come along in a bit'. (This also applies to other areas of life, but I won't go down that road at the moment)

Other than that, and all the good advice others gave above, all I can say is to decide what you WANT and then seek it out.  At that point it can be looked at on a case-by-case basis to determine if it's a good investment.

Bear in mind that as a guy who fixes cars for a living, I sometimes get jaded.  But overall I have seen that a 'first car' often meets an ugly death.  This includes my own. You don't have to be 'that guy' though; you could be the exception that makes the rule.

But at the end of it all, there are only two kinds of cars: Those what needs fixed and those what's gonna.  You just have to be careful not to cross the centerline between 'used' and 'used-up'.

And you have to be willing to continually part with money, because that's what cars eat.

Good luck on your quest!

Edited by Grumpy's Auto Shop (see edit history)

Agree, for GM the NOVA family (Nova, Omega, Ventura, Apollo) in the 60s and '70s is a great place to start particularly with a "Corporate" 305/2bbl engine. All are good looking but the pre-bumper cars (to 1972) are the best looking. And then there is the '74 GTO (based on a Ventura) with the camper option....

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. Where are you located? Hopefully there is a local AACA Region or Chapter that you might be interested in joining. That is one of the best ways that I know of for you to meet other folks in the hobby and probably get some good leads on cars available in your area.

Great news Futurecarowner....... :D

First off stick to cars for which parts are readily available.........so pretty much the Big Three.

You don't show a location but if it's anywhere where salt is used on the roads be aware of those consequences.

I'll be 65 in a couple months and never in my life did I EVER feel "I could have had a V8"....... <_<

Maybe you do but you can't beat 6's for ease of repairs.

Good advice to try to fine the best car that you can afford. Try to keep an open mind as to make while searching. Try not to fall into the trap of thinking that the car has to be of a particular make or model, and don't overlook the independent car makers of the sixties. AMC and Studebaker made some great cars during this period. Owning one of these can be a totally different experience at a cruise night or car show. They also tend to be a bit less expensive when compared to the "Big Three." Some uninformed car people would have you believe that if you choose an independent you will not be able to find parts. That is simply not the case! There is a dedicated parts network for both AMC and Studebaker comparable to the other more common makes.  

I agree with Bill, independants don't suffer from big name mark up.  I think honestly that you want a car for transportation as well as a driver so I wont recommend a Crosley, but if not, a Crosley wagon driver could be found in your price range.

Is also a factor of what your personal image is. Should always buy a car that fits. For instance which is more important: 4-speed or air conditioning ? Stock radio or hands free phone ? Very dry area or wet ? Temps below freezing or above 100 ?

Personally have always looked for a car with AC because of all the upgrades that came with it: better heater, higher capacity battery and alternator, bigger radiator sometimes a lower axle. Beside nice to clear mist off the windshield.

That said, when I look for a car it is usually make, model, year, options, and color. And I usually find (though there have been a few unplanned rescues).

So when you say "car or truck" that is really harder than if you were more specific since we know nothing about where you are or what you like.

ps am surprised that someone didn't chide me for mentioning the 305 engine since that was post-74. Personally if looking for something of the later '70s I'd be tempted by the '77 Pontiac Phoenix (Nova) since the first ones had a Grand Prix interior.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Don't marry a car. They are not lifetime commitments. If you get one home and figure you made a mistake send it down the road. I have never owned a car I did not want to keep that was a 100% loss. It is a lot easier to get more money than it is to find a good car.

Don't pinch every penny and try to be a cheapskate. You will end up hurting yourself in the end. A lot of old guys won't admit that.

Take all advice with a gain of salt. Just because someone is 60 years old doesn't mean they have 45 years more experience. It just means they are 45 years older than you.

Spend a few bucks in a pool hall. It will teach you to be calculating, to plan ahead, and develop focus with a goal. Having those skills will put you far ahead of the crowd. When it comes time to compete for the job to get car money you will have the advantage.

Don't look at a guy's restoration album and imagine how you can do all the work they did. Instead, try to figure out how you can buy his nicely finished car. Just a rule of thumb I came up with; for every $1,000 more that you are willing to spend you can get $3,000 to $4,000 worth of someone else's work (that works in reverse, too!).

And be sure to read the last line of my signature.

Bernie

• Like 1

Guest Grumpy's Auto Shop
1 hour ago, padgett said:

... am surprised that someone didn't chide me for mentioning the 305 engine since that was post-74. ...

I thought it was a typo!

I have a friend that searches for cars at old folks homes.

Sometimes as simple as cruising the parking lots but a wanted note on a bulletin board might be a good way to scare something up.

He is usually driving some 20 year old Cadillac or the likes.

I forgot to mention my Rule #1 when looking at a car or car project, unless it is some killer smoking deal, NEVER buy a car you don't like the looks of. Nothing worse than looking at a bad deal, knowing it was a mistake and being UGLY on top of everything. Bob

Futurecarowner, I like the advice Rusty gave you.  I also like what 1937hd45 said.  There's been too many cars made to settle for one you hate the looks of.  Don't forget the pickup trucks.  You might find a pickup on someone's farm that has recently been taken out of service and just needs a good cleaning and polishing.  They have their own allure.  I wouldn't buy anything that had been doctored up.  Buy it like it was made and if you want to change the color or wheels or anything that would be up to you.  I have a friend who's son bought a '66 Buick Wildcat 4 door hardtop when he was about 14.  By the time he turned 16 and got his license it was ready to show.  A 4-door hardtop would not be my choice of a car but I have to admit it has been years since I've seen another Buick 4-door hardtop.   Stay in touch with us and let us know what you do.  Also where you live.  One of us geezers might offer to take you with us to a car show or too.  Best wishes.

I knew a man who always bought a 3 or 4 year old Cadillac and usually drove it 3 or 4 years.  When shopping, always from a car lot, never a private sale, he always sat in the drivers seat first.  If it was comfortable to him then he looked at the rest of the car.  I didn't matter about looks or price or anything if it wasn't comfortable to sit in. He had many different colours. He had two and four doors, he had sedans and hardtops, never a convertible. In the fourty years I knew him,  I never knew him to be unhappy with a car he purchased.

You have received advice from many knowledgeable people here and each one is correct for them. You have to decide what is best for you. You may be real good at repairing rust, or maybe mechanical is your thing. Buy the car that you will enjoy doing your thing. It doesn't mater, you will lose money on anything you buy! But so what, you enjoyed the journey. Entertainment cost money, you can spend it on sports, women or the lastest movies, none of them will return any your money.

As stated, a car with a good body and bad mechanics is cheaper to repair than one with a bad body, especially if it needs a lot of chrome plating to be done!

And one more thought , there is nothing more certain to derail a car than having a baby! Take care!

And always remember, if a car really rings the bell for you, causes heart palpitations, makes you wonder where the extra money will come from, and you are afraid someone will buy it if you leave, you better buy it! Disregard all the pragmatic advice, all the warnings, and all the common sense. If you understand that you are buying a 20, 30, 40, 50 or more year old car, you are not even working close to genius status. There are a lot smarter things you can do. Since you are still in school, I would guess, take the time to write a 500 word essay on the meaning of discretionary money. That's what you use for old cars. How to use it and how identify it and how to get it are real important.

This topic reminds me of the mid 1990's when Oldsmobile came out with a car called the Intrigue. I walked around one, stepped back, and thought this car makes me think of a girlfriend my Mother would pick out for me. Don't always follow the rules.

Bernie