Exchange Broken Snap-On Tools for Replacements?

RansomEli

Like most of us who have worked on old cars for several decades, I've acquired a miscellaneous collection of Snap-on tools. The Snap-on screwdrivers are the best I've ever used, but due to age some of the handles have broken apart. I've heard that you can turn in broken Snap-on tools for replacements but I can't find out how. The website says to "contact your representative," but I've never purchased a tool from a rep or tool truck. 

I've tried to talk to a rep in his route truck, but they don't want to deal with me, since I'm not a customer.

Can I exchange my broken tools for new ones? If yes, how can I do so?

Thanks.

Good luck. I talked to a Snapon rep on a truck about a broken tool and he said give it to him with my address and he will send it to the factory and see if it could be replaced. Never heard from him or the factory.

Chase the truck, if the guy refuses get his business card and report him.

Don't let him take your tool, they can fit new handles on the spot.

I suppose you could send them to the factory if there is not a truck in your area, but a Google search should find one.

I needed some batteries for later tools and was very happy with communication with Snap-On, not so much with the prices.

I have sent some SK tools to the headquarters recently with good results.

All of my SK stuff is old and they used to be able to replace the plastic where the sockets ride in in the metal boxes. Now when you tell them you are storing your socket set in the original metal boxes they ask how old is that? (at least twenty years, maybe more like thirty or more). So I made the offending holder out of some foam rubber. They don't ask any questions of the failed tools however.

If you have a friend who  is a mechanic or owns an auto repair shop ask them to give it to the Snap on  dealer as if it was their own.  Snap on is supposed to warranty the tool but it will be easier if a customer gives it to them.

I recently gave a broken set of cutters to my mechanic to exchange and he says they don't do what they used to--replace the tool but will offer a new one for a discount. My cutters are very old and not made at present time. Not sure if that is difference but I had always heard guaranteed for life but not sure that is still true. I have not heard back about my tool but he said most likely they will not replace.

In a related vein:  I broke the handle on a pair of Fiskars scissors/shears (9")  My attempts to glue it failed.  Went to the Fiskars web site to look for a replacement.  While there learned for the first time the item had a lifetime warranty.  Warranty claim  required a photo.  I took it and submitted claim on line with the photo attached, and an explanation that I had no purchase receipt as I didn't even recall how long ago or where I purchased the scissors.  Within 2 weeks I had a replacement pair of scissors in my hand at no cost to me!

• Like 1

My father in 1940's was 16 years old and working and bought some Snap-on chrome sockets for his job . When they were delivered they were not chrome plated but had some sort of coating . The Snap-on representative said when WW2 was over they would replace the sockets with chrome . Well the war ended and they would not give him his chrome sockets . So to this day he still has the Snap-on set and tells everyone this story .

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

Craftsman may not make the most elegantly designed tools but whenever I took one back the store guy always said "sorry, just grab a new one off the shelf". No hassle, no sob stories, no explaining, no paper work.  Easy peasy..................Bob

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Craftsman may not make the most elegantly designed tools but whenever I took one back the store guy always said "sorry, just grab a new one off the shelf". No hassle, no sob stories, no explaining, no paper work.  Easy peasy..................Bob

Yup.

Have had some problems in the past with dealers who do not take an interest in warranting their tools because you didn't directly purchase from them, NOT that it should matter.

contact Snap-on directly, they will be more inclined to help you

cheers, Rick 

You know guys, we have to be careful on these forums about talking down (read that as bashing) a company's products or the political correctness police will get us all.  I have one pair of Snap-On electrical pliers.  They are ideal for working on fine, light gauge electrical wire.  My daughter got them for me for Christmas one year.  She told me later that those things set her back almost $75.00 with the tax.  I thought that that was absolutely insane for a pair of diagonal cutters to cost that much.  Fast forward a couple of years and I am using them for their intended purpose.  The one point broke off about 1/4" down.  I contacted the local dealer and told him what happened.  He replaced them for me at no charge.  He then put the hard sell on me to try and get me to buy other tools from him.  There ain't no way that I would buy their tools simply from a cost point.  Their tools are good but they ain't worth what a person has to pay for them.  My roll away is full of Proto tools that I bought over a period of about twenty years.  They are very good tools and have served me well.  My Dad was a big fan and user of Craftsman tools.  When he passed I got all of his tools and shop equipment.  The Craftsman tools that he had was the old stuff that was made in America.  He also had a complete set of end wrenches, box end wrenches, and a complete socket set that was made by Bonney Tools that came to him when my Grandfather Wiegand passed.  I have tried to use some of those Craftsman wrenches and I simply hate the things.  They are hard on a person's hands to no end.  The only reason that I keep them is because of sentimental value to me.  My thinking is this - what good is any product if the dealer or company will not stand behind it.  I really like the Proto tools that I have and I also have some Wright tools that I really like too.  To each his own as the saying goes.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

This link has had negative and positive comments about Snapon which indicates Snapon's inconsistency. When www,snapon.com gets up and running again, I will send them this link and give them a chance to reply. I find it hard to believe that no Snapon dealers/distributors read this forum and have not defended Snapon and given a definite and easy way to get replacement tools. If Snapon responds with how to get replacement tools that works all the time, that would be helpful.

I think that Snap-on probably makes as good as you can get tools. Pricey? Yes.

But the strategy is that they show up at the shop where mechanics work and they offer credit.

As long as a guy has a few bucks in his pocket on the day the truck arrives he can make his payment and keep his tools current.

My small service department was discouraging to a Snap-on truck as we only need so many tools. The guy got to where he would only drop in if it was a slow day.

All it would take was a phone call if one of the guys needed him.

I personally couldn't afford them.

I contacted Snap-on:

My Question to Customer service " What is your policy for replacing tools? Do they have to be registered, sales receipt, etc. Also, what is the responsibility of "the sales by trucks" in helping with returns?

Snap-on  Answer:

Hello Harry,

Thank you for contacting Snap-on Tools.   If you have a Snap-on Franchisee, they will be the best resource to provide you warranty service. 

If you are a personal tool user or hobbyist, we have a dedicated team to assist you with any purchases or warranty needs. Warranties are tool-specific, so in order to best assist you, please provide the information requested below so we can start the warranty or repair process.  

·Full Name

· Email Address

· Part Number(s) and Quantity (if you cannot locate the part number, please send a picture)

· Serial Number (If applicable)

· Street Address

·City, State/Province, Zip/Postal code

· Phone Number

For Snap-on Tools within the warranty period, we will email you a warranty ID number and instructions.  We may email/send you a pre-paid UPS shipping label. If you receive a shipping label, please package the tool(s), print the label, affix it to the outside of the package, and drop off the package off at the local UPS Store. Please keep a record of the tracking number for reference if there is a need to contact us. Once the tools are received, we will be able to complete your warranty order.

For repair tools  We will email you a repair ID number and a pre-paid UPS shipping label to ship your tool(s) to us. If you receive a shipping label, please package the tool(s), print the label, affix it to the outside of the package, and drop off the package off at the local UPS Store. Please keep a record of the tracking number for reference if there is a need to contact us. Once the tool is received the tool, they will evaluate it and contact you regarding the cost of repair. At that point the repair center can take your payment information over the phone.

Thank you,

Amanda Vincent

Customer Care Center

Snap-on Tools

U.S. 877-762-7664

Canada 866-824-0524

M-F 6:30 am – 5:30 pm CST

• Like 1

FYI--had my mechanic exchange my wire cutter with articulating jaw for new tool. The one broken was no longer made and the snap on rep offered a couple of different tools as replacement. I'v not picked up the new tool but was impressed that I was offered new tool. The broken one was purchased on ebay and had rivet going thru head which broke. Didn't get much use out of it and seller probably knew it was weak. Bad purchase on ebay turned out OK. Might make a difference if you have mechanic or friend who does enough business with Snap On that you can deal with the guy on the truck.

Rod

Guest Al Brass

One problem I have with Snap-On is that they often replace Snap-On  tools with their lesser product, Blue-Point. I believe the warranty on Blue-Point is not as good as the Snap-On one.  Is that so?

Regards

Al

Blue point tools do usually have less or sometimes no warranty. I don't know why they would replace a Snap on with a Blue Point unless the Snap on tool was no longer available but the Blue Point still was.    I asked a Snap on dealer about this and he confirmed  that the only time a Snap on tool would be replaced on warranty with a Blue point would be if the Snap on tool was no longer available.

Edited by misterc9
more information (see edit history)

Guest Al Brass

Yep, that was why.  I can think of a hacksaw, flaring tool and pop riveter right now but there were others.  My problem is, I bought Snap-On with the lifetime guarantee and with the replacement, I don't have that.  When I bought Snap_on years ago, the understanding was you had them forever, unless you lost them and now they have changed the rules.  Oh well, I'll just get on with it !

Al :)   

When I was a kid I got some tools for Christmas. Wards Powercraft I think.

I remember my grandpa telling me that I would have them for the rest of my life.

I exchanged a few over the years, not any more.

Pretty good luck with SK and Craftsman these days. 

The problem you are all complaining about is actually your dealer. They get no compensation for replacing or repairing your tools. If they put a new blade on your screwdriver all they get is a new blade, nothing for their time or effort. If they replace the tool they are out of that tool if someone wants to buy one until it is replaced. Give them a break, buy something and establish a relationship, don't just expect them to work for free. I'm sure none of you did.

• 2 months later...