History of the VIN and vehicle registration? Started in 1954?

ericbt

I am trying to research the history of vehicle registration and I keep finding references to the Vehicle Identification Number (V.I.N) starting in 1954 (it states that in the wiki on the VIN and on the NHTSA website), but I can't find references as to why the V.I.N was started in 1954 or what law or rule change was made. I am also trying to figure out what system was in place before that. I found another reference to the Uniform Motor Vehicle Certificate of Title and Anti-theft Act being adopted by the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws in 1955 and then enacted state by state. This dealt with title fraud and liens across state lines, but it might have also included VINs? There was also a lot of traffic safety and road safety stuff being done by the Eisenhower administration around 1954 and one of those laws might have included a national VIN.

Any information on the history of vehicle registration up until 1980 (1981 was when the modern 17 character VIN first proposed by International Organization for Standardization in 1977 was implemented by the NHTSA) and what a title used to call a VIN prior to that term coming into use would be helpful.

Thanks,

Eric 

Vehicles prior to the 1954 model year DID have VINs.  My two 1952 Chevy trucks have VIN tags.  The problem is that prior to 1964, the format and use of the VIN was not standardized, and the VIN tag was frequently attached to a removable part of the vehicle (like the glovebox door on early 1950s Ford pickups). Local DMVs frequently used the engine serial number instead of the VIN for title purposes.  Of course, if the engine was ever replaced, this became a big problem.

Based on what I'm seeing in old editions of used car value guides, it looks like the term Vehicle Identification Number came into standard use around 1968, which I think was the year that the US government required the VIN to me mounted on the dash at the lower left side of the windshield.  Each make used their own standard, but certain data was now required such as make, engine size.  Prior to this time, each state determined if the motor number, serial number or body number was to be used for registration purposes.  As you said, in 1981 it became standardized.

Joe, you are correct on the motor number being used in many states.  It was in North Carolina which required the title to be changed if the engine was replaced.  A tracing of the new motor number had to be submitted along with the title and the new motor number was added to the title following the old motor number.

Chrysler built cars used numeric serial numbers from 1930 through 1954 on Chrysler and through 1957 on DeSoto, Dodge and Plymouth. There was a format change every year or so with additional information being encoded in what I'd call a proto-VIN. 1959 is the first year that I'd call it a real VIN in the modern sense, though they changed the order of some fields in 1960.

From what I've read of other manufacturers' VIN usage, my guess is simply that the older methods of tracking things was getting cumbersome, especially if multiple assembly plants were making the same models, and some bright person at one of the manufacturers came up with the idea of encoding build information in the identification number. From there others saw the value and started doing it too but a standardized way of encoding the information by all manufacturers did not come up until later.

I agree that the reason most likely had to do with making the number more useful to manufactures and to DMVs, but what I am looking for is legislation that details what was done. I am also wondering what common practices were prior to 1954 (if the change was in 1954). I know some states used the engine number in earlier years. Was that standard or did other states use other numbers? Many manufactures put numbers other than engine numbers on a vehicle starting in the teens. Ford wasn't one of them from what I have read, but the Dodge Brothers did.

My current speculation is that the states individually over a period of years passed laws putting them all on the same standard for titles, but it might also have been a federal mandate. I would like to know which one it was and what the reasoning was.

Thanks,

Eric

I found this, but I haven't found the actual agreement yet. That is if this information is correct.

In 1955 Willys Motors changed all of their product lines to a new vehicle ID system.  In 1954, at the request of the U.S. government, Willys Motors, along with all the other U.S. auto manufacturers and the Automobile Manufacturers Association, were involved in the creation of the new, standardized vehicle identification numbering system named the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) with an agreed upon digit sequence and concealed chassis markings of this VIN.  Up to that time, some states used the engine number to register and title cars and trucks which became a problem if the engine was replaced which was fairly common at the time. 

3 hours ago, ericbt said:

I found this, but I haven't found the actual agreement yet. That is if this information is correct.

In 1955 Willys Motors changed all of their product lines to a new vehicle ID system.  In 1954, at the request of the U.S. government, Willys Motors, along with all the other U.S. auto manufacturers and the Automobile Manufacturers Association, were involved in the creation of the new, standardized vehicle identification numbering system named the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) with an agreed upon digit sequence and concealed chassis markings of this VIN.  Up to that time, some states used the engine number to register and title cars and trucks which became a problem if the engine was replaced which was fairly common at the time. 

Apparently "all the other U.S. auto manufacturers" did not include Chrysler.

As noted in my earlier post, they used numeric serial numbers for a number of years after 1954. When they stopped using numeric serial numbers, they changed the fields, contents and length several times before it became stable in 1960.If it was a legal mandate to go to a VIN it seems unlikely that one of the "Big 3" manufacturers would have had an exemption.

In other words, I find the information you quoted stating it to be a legal mandate to be suspect. I would not be surprised if there was an S.A.E. (or equivalent) industry study group that came up with the VIN concept and that various manufacturers adopted at different times. But I could be wrong on my skepticism: That type of law is a matter of public record so if I am wrong some law library someplace could help you find the old statutes and I would be happy to be corrected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number

Prior to 1954 the numbers were manufactures chassis(frame) numbers and/or engine serial numbers and/or body numbers

Only in recent times has the VIN jargon been used

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Buick did change their car serial number scheme for the 1954 model year, twice actually, but I'm not sure it was in response to any particular legislation.  Buick continued to use a serial number for the engine number through the 1956 model year, so either number code be used on a title or registration through 1956.  I don't know what other manufacturers did, but I've attached a table showing the Buick car and engine serial number schemes over the years so you can compare it to other manufacturers and see if there are any similarities.  In 1967 Buick standardized its car serial number scheme between its US and Canadian operations in response to international agreements made in 1965.

Buick Serial Number Changes Over Time v01.pdf

Ply33,

I agree with you that things are not consistent enough to be a federal mandate. A number of manufactures did change the serial number system in 1954 or 1955, but not all did. Either there was no legislation or some companies were given time to implement the change.  I will keep hunting. The information I can find online is vague at best. Every site says 1954, but none back that up with data.  If anyone can find an actual rule or mandate I would like to see it.

Thanks,

Eric

I went and looked at pictures of titles from all over the country (on eBay and other sources) and they are not labeled VIN until the 1980s. The number used to register the vehicle from the 1920s to the 1970s are labeled things like Engine Number, Factory Number, Mfr’s Serial Number, Mfr’s Number, Engine or ID Number, MFG. NO. OR SERIAL NO., VEH. ID. By the 1980s the titles say Vehicle ID Number or Vehicle Identification Number. So If the states didn't change the label on the titles in 1954 and the manufacturers didn't all change the serial numbers on the cars/trucks in 1954 I doubt there was any federal legislation to find. If anyone has any further information I would be interested to see it.

Eric

The NHTSA standardized the 17 character VIN only in 1981. That VIN contains more info than you might imagine including a "security number" that can be taken thru a series of calculations to determine the legitimacy of any particular VIN. Try it sometime, it's interesting.

I'm aware of that. Thanks! I was trying to verify the claims you see all over the internet that said the VIN started in 1954. This text is right off the NHTSA website and they are the ones that implemented the 17 character VIN in 1981:

VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS (VINs)

Since 1954, American automobile manufacturers have used a vehicle identification number (V.I.N.) to describe and identify motor vehicles. The early VINs came in a wide array of configurations and variations, depending on the individual manufacturer.

Clearly this is not what actually happened based on actual serial numbers on cars and trucks and actual titles that kept using the term "Serial Number" until the 1970s.

Amphicars broke all the "rules" when they were 1st produced in 1961 it was a simple 5 digit sequential-ish number. Sometime in 1964ish they went to a 9 digit number. I have found the "VIN" located on no less than 10 places and parts on them (they do not always match!). Of course the one that counts is the tag riveted to the bulkhead which includes the engine number as well. 

http://www.amphicar.com/vin_numbers.htm

I have quite a collection of titles and can say that pretty much every car from the early 30's back used the motor number as the vin.

model A fords are a prime example ans well as the model B's of 32-thereafter you will see that most titles have serial numbers and the vin started to digress from the motor number to the serial number.

Eric,

" I agree with you that things are not consistent enough to be a federal mandate. A number of manufactures did change the serial number system in 1954 or 1955, but not all did. Either there was no legislation or some companies were given time to implement the change.  I will keep hunting. The information I can find online is vague at best. Every site says 1954, but none back that up with data.  If anyone can find an actual rule or mandate I would like to see it."

I can't answer your question about the rules or law change, but here's hard evidence for the 1954 change, as shown in the "Red Book, Nat'l. Used Car Market Report." Look at the beginning of of the 1954 Buick listing and you'll see the VIN reference, starting 4/1/54, though it's an entirely different animal than the modern VIN. The same info will be found in "N.A.D.A." books, the "Blue Book," etc. 

Your charge will be to discover the actual law or directive in a government archive, so good luck!

TG

53 to 54 Buick Numbers RB.jpg

Are you able to search legislation on line? State and Federal? The hard part will be come up with the language they used. Perhaps you already know, from looking at old ownership papers. The ultimate would be to visit a law library. Hopefully they'll have all the legislation and ensuing regulations of all states there...

In this country, the early motor licensing (early 20th C.) was local, provincial perhaps. I don't know when the government got involved; probably early '20s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plate#History

says:

"In the U.S., where each state issues plates, New York State has required plates since 1903 (black numerals on a white background) after first requiring in 1901 that only the owner's initials be clearly visible on the back of the vehicle.[4] At first, plates were not government issued in most jurisdictions and motorists were obliged to make their own. In 1903, Massachusetts was the first state to issue plates."

So you can search the legislation in those states and hopefully get onto the Federal legislation from there?

There is a Wikipedia article giving an incomplete list of Congress legislation. It might be worth a look.

In the case of Studebaker, the term 'Serial Number' was used on the plate, mounted on the driver's side 'A' pillar until 1964.  For 1965 & 1966, the term 'Vehicle Identification No' was used on the plate.

In addition, there was a 'secret' serial number also stamped on the rearmost crossmember on the frame.

Craig

I searched pretty hard to find legislation, but I couldn't find anything that specifically said VIN. I did find a lot of legislation dealing with the the standardization of liens on cars and the registration of those liens. For every example like Buick where the number changed in 1954 I find another manufacturer that didn't change their numbers until years later. This is going to be a bit of a hunt. If anyone finds anything please let me know.

Thanks,

Eric

Packard vehicles starting about 1905 carried a metal plate with a number unique to each vehicle and the number was called a vehicle number, or VN if you prefer, it was in addition to any other numbers such as motor or frame numbers.  Prior to that time Packard called it a Serial number.