I have started my car, it runs for the first time in over 13 years.

alini

After identifying some flaws in my construction and some poor new parts we installed this morning right at about noon we got the engine to fire.  I got the break in run done, high RPM for 20 minutes.  No leaks, needs to be tuned a bit (timing - idle fuel - idle speed) but it ran with no noises and sounding good.

1351 days and 2 hours from the removal of the first bolt - 702.5 man hours invested.

Still need to change the oil, do a final adjustment on the headlights with the cars electrical system, put the hood on.  We didnt cycle the transmission but we did get it full, so need to check that, but it was professionally rebuilt so I have faith in it, check the brakes and pull it out of the garage, moving under its own power for the first time in 13 years.  The previous owner parked it 13 years ago and I bought it about 3.5 years ago.

• Like 4

what brought a tear to my eye was my son was the key turner for me, the car fired...and he shut it off because it didnt sound like the other attempts we made.  We laughed it off for a good few minutes and then cranked it and it started right up.  Nothing like attempting and attempting and beating your head against the wall trying to figure it out and it still wasnt starting this morning.  My timing light was not working properly, I hooked up a friends and we were 12 degrees retarded, once I got the distributor dialed in we were good.

Wow, that is really great news, you must be over the moon after sooooo much time. Look forward to seeing and hearing more. The hours of struggle soon become a distant past with the sweet smell and sounds of success. Enjoy!

1351 days and 2 hours from the removal of the first bolt - 702.5 man hours invested.

These numbers show a lot of perseverance, but in a way they're depressing to those of us who still have similar tasks ahead of us.  I'm just glad you didn't show any $$$$$ figures. :)

Ed

hell I might as well boast a little.

I am proud of the rebuild I did, its not a concours car and still has flaws.  There is plenty of work to be done to make it flawless, but its a worthy driver and should do well at local car shows.  It will look great cruising the Vegas strip on weekends.
Including the cost of the initial car ($2500) I only just broke 20K for total cost of the rebuild.   This is due to the fact I did everything except the transmission myself and my son did the machine work on the engine at school.  I painted the car myself and used products from Eastwood.com which got the job done but there are far better products out there that would cost more.

With that said, I did buy some pretty hefty tools.  I got a 60 gallon air compressor and plumbed it into the garage so I have three points I can use air now and can paint a car.  I bought the engine stand, the engine hoist, pullers, presses.  This only totaled an addition 4K.

I have heard of guys spending tens of thousands restoring their cars.  I did a budget fresh rebuild, every part is new or rebuilt.  Its been cleaned, polished, painted and inspected. and I now have a running 1965 Buick Riviera that will only require routine maintenance for the next ten years or so...for 20K

Now I wish I had done it faster, but if you were to look at my time sheets, I stopped in May every year and started again in Sept.  I also had breaks around Christmas and January, all because Vegas is a hot/cold place and I wanted my time spent in the garage to be fun and sweating/freezing my butt off isnt fun.

ignition switch with intermittent continuity in Start, bad starter solenoid, too high a resistance in spark plug wires/coil wire and we found my timing light was junk, I used my buddies and it showed we were actually retarded during cranking, so we advanced the timing.

Guest dwhiteside64

Great work Chris! My rebuilt engine first turned over a just few days before yours did. I was still holding my breath, even though I took the easy way out and had it rebuilt at a local garage in town. I'm sure you experienced even more relief than I because of the emotional  and physical investment you have made. Let us know how it handles on the road!

Darren

Edited by dwhiteside64 (see edit history)

WOO WHOO!! Congrats Chris. This is a huge accomplishment that I can relate to. Sooooo glad u didn't have the same engine "break-in woes" as I posted in my thread. But I bet having a pro machinist for a son at your side helping the engine build was a key component. Congrats to the both of u.

I just posted an accomplishment of my own on my thread that u might enjoy. Then I began to skim thru the forum to find this post full of awesomeness!! Thank for sharing...

One cost u didn't mention was the A/C & insulation u installed in the garage. I too was gonna follow your lead. But California just doesn't feel as hot as Vegas. :)

Lastly, does that color blue make your Riviera look small or are you like an 8 foot giant of a man LOL