1963-65 Riviera Factory AM/FM Radio?

Jolly_John

Hi, Gang. I've searched past posts (at least for as much "history" is now available), and couldn't come up with the info I was looking for. On the 1963 to 1965 factory Riviera AM/FM radios:

--Is the Riviera AM/FM radio different than the AM/FM radios found in other

full-size Buicks of the same years?

--Are the Riviera AM/FM radios themselves different from each other in 1963, 1964,

1965...or is one factory radio correct for all three years?

--If the AM/FM radios differ from year-to-year, could someone provide the Delco

radio model numbers for each?

Thank you very much in advance for any help. John

Hi, John, the only difference I noticed is the knobs from '64 and '65. In 1978 I took my '64 Riviera to the local Buick dealer to have the center joint greased. It was mostly to show off the car and I bought my own needle adapter shortly after.

While I was in the shop I noticed that they were using a showroom 1965 radio display for music in the shop and recognized the AM-FM radio was the same face as mine.

I asked if they would be interested in selling it. They told me all they wanted was tunes.  So I ran up to the Neisner's Big N store in the plaza and bought them a pretty good $10 or $15 radio. I bought it back and unplugged the display, plugged in their new radio and off I went. I picked up a set of correct knobs on Ebay in the early 2000's. They are in a box on the back floor. Think I'm about due to swap them out?

Bernie

They are all the same radios from a size, fit and appearance standpoint aside from the knobs which was mentioned above.  There may be some technological changes within the unit from year to year that I am not familiar with but I don't know for sure and they may have different part numbers as well.

Here are part numbers for 63 - 65 Buick radios.  What the differences are ????????

Buick radio part numbers

980462 63 BUICK AM
980463 63 BUICK WonderBar
980464 63 BUICK SPECIAL AM
980464A 63 BUICK SPECIAL AM (LATE PRODUCTION)
980626 63 BUICK AM/FM - * Mitch, does this answer your question?
980649 64 BUICK SPECIAL AM
980655 63 BUICK AM (LATE PRODUCTION)
980655A 64 BUICK AM
980657 64 BUICK WonderBar
980659 64 BUICK AM/FM
980869 64-65 BUICK REVERB

7285424 65 BUICK RIVIERA AM
7285444 65 BUICK RIVIERA WonderBar
7288794 65 BUICK RIVIERA AM/FM

7289714 65 BUICK SPECIAL AM
7289734 65 BUICK AM

7289754 65 BUICK WonderBar

7289774 65 BUICK AM/FM

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Thanks for all the radio numbers, Ed. I appreciate the time you took to pass along the info. I saw a SAMS radio service folder for the 1963 Full-sized Buick AM/FM radios, so I was confident that they existed in '63.

I believe the term "SPECIAL" on some of your various radio numbers refers to the Buick model "Special". So, it appears the full-sized Buicks (including the Riv) shared the same AM/FM radios in 1963 and 1964, with the Riv radio model numbers differing from the other full size models only in 1965. Who would have known? Again, my thanks to all who replied. John

I'm sure that Special does refer to the compact cars from the era. As far as the separate radios for the Riviera, it could be something as simple as the knobs.  I have a friend here in KC who owns a number of different models of '65 Buicks - Electra, Riviera, and LeSabre.  I'll ask him if he knows why the Riviera AM/FM would have a different part number.

I got the part numbers with a simple Google search.  I came up with this website and just copied and pasted the 63 - 65 Buick numbers.  http://www.wonderbarman.com/codes.html

I heard back from my friend and he says that unless there's a difference in the dash opening he doesn't know of anything. He said that he'd try to get to the garage and take a look at his '65's and see what obvious difference there is if any.  He's to get back to me and I'll post what he tells me.

Ed

Update - I just heard back from Steve.

Quote - "i'd bet the chassis numbers are different and the part numbers only because the three full size cars won't interchange with the Riv's.  Face size or shape was diff than other series because of design of surrounding metal."

But, I'll wager that the '65 Riviera radio will interchange with the 63 and '64 Riviera.  If you recall, all of the GM models for '65 went to the "fast back styling" - think 64 Chevy Impala vs. 65 Chevy Impala, as well as the the other '65 models.  '65 Wildcat vs. '64 Wildcat.  The '65 Riviera was a year late in the change over.  For that change, you need to think '65 Riviera vs. '66 Riviera. 

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Pat,

This is off topic for this thread, but I'm wondering if you've heard what I've heard about the sales of the '65 Riviera.  "Sales were not what they could have been because of the newer 'fast back' body styles that the public really liked."  I think that because the '65 was finally the car that Bill Mitchell envisioned, that body style was used for an additional year.  If the fastback that came out in '66 would have been produced in '65, the sales would have been much higher.  Have you ever heard anything along those lines?

Ed

I have Ed.  All said and done though, by 65 the car was at the end of the design cycle and sales usually taper off.  People want the latest and greatest and be the first on their block to have the new design.  I have seen just the opposite happen as well.  Sales of the 1985 Riviera were way up because the buying public didn't want the new downsized 1986 which as we all know, was a sales disaster.

Thanks to ALL OF YOU for the helpful posts.

Pat, do I understand that, based on your actual experience, a 1965 Riviera model number AM/FM radio also fits a 1963 and 1964 Riv? If so, is there any reason to doubt that a Riv 1963-64 model number radio would fit a '65 Riv? I realize there are knob desing differences...I'm just talking about the radio itself. Best, John

Edited by Jolly_John (see edit history)

FWIW, I've got the period correct AM/FM in both a 63 Electra and a 64 Riv.  Both cars originally had Wonderbars, and I didn't have to change faceplates or modify anything to install the AM/FM in either car.  AFAIK, the AM/FM, Wonderbar, and Sonomatic are completely interchangeable for these model years.  IIRC, the AM/FM was introduced in 64.

As to the radio itself: I guess some FM is better than no FM, but it's not a great radio*.  It doesn't have a whole lot of sensitivity or range; you won't get all the stations or fidelity you're accustomed to  (and make sure your antenna is set to the proper height).  They're also notorious for needing expensive refurbishment using all-but-unobtainable parts.  One would be well-advised to verify operation on both bands before plunking down a big chunk of your hard-earned money on what is generally a somewhat expensive part.

* In fact, I got better performance (on both bands) with the original Wonderbar and a cheap FM converter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Mr Jones
On 17/02/2016 at 7:34 AM, 60FlatTop said:

Hi, John, the only difference I noticed is the knobs from '64 and '65. In 1978 I took my '64 Riviera to the local Buick dealer to have the center joint greased. It was mostly to show off the car and I bought my own needle adapter shortly after.

While I was in the shop I noticed that they were using a showroom 1965 radio display for music in the shop and recognized the AM-FM radio was the same face as mine.

I asked if they would be interested in selling it. They told me all they wanted was tunes.  So I ran up to the Neisner's Big N store in the plaza and bought them a pretty good $10 or $15 radio. I bought it back and unplugged the display, plugged in their new radio and off I went. I picked up a set of correct knobs on Ebay in the early 2000's. They are in a box on the back floor. Think I'm about due to swap them out?

Bernie

Older thread I realise but this is relevant to my search. Can someone school me on the differences in the knobs between 64 and 65?

I have seen a couple of photos of Riviera radios with the ribbed knobs but do not know if these are correct for the 65.

1963 / 1964 radio knobs looked like this.  The headlight, rear defogger, and wiper switches would all have the same knobs. 

Image result for 1964 buick riviera radio

A close up of the knobs

Image result for 1963 buick riviera radio

1965 radio knobs looked like this.  More conical shaped, with sharper edges on the ribs.  Pictured is also the headlight knob.

Image result for 1965 buick riviera radio

a close up of the knobs

Image result for 1965 buick riviera radio

The other knobs on the dash were the same as the radio knobs for each year.  

Ed

15 minutes ago, Jolly_John said:

Very helpful info to have here on the forum "forever", Ed. Thanks for taking the time to do the photos. John

A simple "Google images" search.  But it helped knowing which one to copy and paste. Way too much general information that tends to overlap.  Especially sellers on eBay. :wacko:

So my 63 has an am Wonderbar in the normal location, then it's got an FM unit hanging below the glove compartment. Is this a factory set up, something the dealer would have installed, or is it an aftermarket bit? I'd like to remove it to clean up the cockpit, but don't want to detract from the "originality" of the vehicle, even though it will never be stock under my watch.

It's probably an aftermarket unit.  You tune it to receive the FM station of your choice, then the unit broadcasts to a specific AM frequency on your factory radio.  The trick is to find the AM station that will receive the broadcast. ?

3 minutes ago, RivNut said:

It's probably an aftermarket unit.  You tune it to receive the FM station of your choice, then the unit broadcasts to a specific AM frequency on your factory radio.  The trick is to find the AM station that will receive the broadcast. ?

That's what I used the K preset for. ;)

Just to be clear, some units contain a transmitter so the FM signal is broadcast over AM and received through the unmodified stock radio setup.  Others intercept the signal: the factory antenna is plugged into the converter, with a new antenna lead running from the converter to the radio.  In those units, the FM signal goes out the lead.

15 minutes ago, Sleep said:

RivNut is saw a tiny blurb on that car in the July/Aug issue of the Riview! I'll do a little more research!

I think it only plays 45's, nothing Long Play.  How big is your collection?  I've got a really great Harman-Kardon component setup that dates back to the age of vinly for my listening pleasure. 

38 minutes ago, Sleep said:

Once I get the front end rebuilt and the brake conversion done, I plan to put a "modern" radio in that runs compact discs or aux/blue tooth. It's a shame most of my music is on vinyl...

fmradio.jpg

It's an FM converter. I used one just like it in the glovebox of my 63 Pontiacs for years.

Bill