got booted from another car forum LOL

benjamin j

I check out other car forums but seldom comment on anything. A couple of days ago there was a thread where a guy was asking about what gauge steel he should use for motor mounting. A member of the forum told him that what he should have said was motor mount stand since he already had the motor mounts. He gave a big lecture about using the right terms when asking a question but never answered the Ops question. I answered the Ops question and then went on to mention that motor mounts is also an improper term unless he was building an electric car LOL. I said if you’re going to lecture someone on using the right terms maybe you should do the same. He must have been a mod or someone with pull because I was booted almost instantly.

On another car forum I belong to, it clearly states: No swearing, no name calling, no personal attacks, no abusive comments based on race, sexual preference, religion or politics.

It is a fairly large forum, and most people respect those rules. However, the moderator's best buddy violates several of those rules in almost every post he makes. And he is quite active on the forum. Has he ever been banned or even reprimanded? Not even once. In fact the moderator himself even violates those rules when he feels like it. However, if anyone else does anything remotely close to that while disagreeing with the moderator or best buddy, they are immediately threatened with being banned. However, if you are violating the rules while agreeing with them, that is probably ok.

So am I surprised the same thing happens on other forums? Hardly.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

Guest Rp1967

Me thinks not ! Unless the letter. T. Is silent! Wayne

Edited by AlCapone, Today, 07:43 AM.

I read it on the Internet , it has to be true.

This sounds like a good explanation;

The word "engine" derives from Old French engin, from the Latin ingenium–the root of the word ingenious. Pre-industrial weapons of war, such as catapults, trebuchets and battering rams, were called "siege engines", and knowledge of how to construct them were often treated as military secrets. The word "gin", as in "cotton gin", is short for "engine". Most mechanical devices invented during the industrial revolution were described as engines—the steam engine being a notable example.

In modern usage, the term engine typically describes devices, like steam engines and internal combustion engines, that burn or otherwise consume fuel to perform mechanical work by exerting a torque or linear force (usually in the form of thrust). Examples of engines which exert a torque include the familiar automobile gasoline and diesel engines, as well as turboshafts. Examples of engines which produce thrust include turbofans and rockets.

When the internal combustion engine was invented, the term "motor" was initially used to distinguish it from the steam engine—which was in wide use at the time, powering locomotives and other vehicles such as steam rollers. "Motor" and "engine" later came to be used interchangeably in casual discourse. However, technically, the two words have different meanings. An engine is a device that burns or otherwise consumes fuel, changing its chemical composition, whereas a motor is a device driven by electricity, air, or hydraulic pressure, which does not change the chemical composition of its energy source.[3] However, rocketry uses the term rocket motor, even though they consume fuel

Engine or motor who gives a damn? Let's buy each other a beer and carry on with the hobby! Wayne

I think this is just a bunch of guys having some good fun. ( At least that's my take on it)  I DO realize that it got pretty far away from what the OP probably intended/desired. I am sorry that he had an unpleasant experience on the other forum.

The only reason I said anything was because the guy picking on the OP for not using correct terms was himself not using the correct term. As mentioned by quite a few members that have went to some sort of automobile school or engineering school they were taught to use the correct term.  Another one that gets me is flywheel, flex plate, ring gear.  

Then there is the newspaper people writing about a car accident and they say alcohol and drugs were not involved as if they were two different things.  It’s all about education. :)

The only reason I said anything was because the guy picking on the OP for not using correct terms was himself not using the correct term. As mentioned by quite a few members that have went to some sort of automobile school or engineering school they were taught to use the correct term.  Another one that gets me is flywheel, flex plate, ring gear.  

Then there is the newspaper people writing about a car accident and they say alcohol and drugs were not involved as if they were two different things.  It’s all about education. :)

That's another great topic, but a little easier to answer. And you are right, it's all about education. Now, shall we have at it with your new topic? 

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

My point is none of it matters a pinch of coon sh*t ! Let it go! Wayne

That's true. Now let's look at the great universe. You think we matter, much less our cars?

Besides if someone is disgusted with a topic he doesn't have to open it.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

I never thought of Floyd Climer as a Brit but he wrote a lot of books, many of which I have. OTOH I do have quite a few books from "over there" mainly for cars of the same origin though my last British car was an MG 1100 around 1975 AFAIR.

At the turn of the century no-one was really keeping production records and every garage had a car-in-progress in it, were over 2,000 named makes in the US at one point (is "makes" proper ?).

Steam had a great advantage and disadvantage: it was well known and in common use but took time, prayer, and a certain amount of ear wiggling before you could go. But when it did it was really fast.

Electric was silent, powerful, but had limited range.

Gas buggies were loud, smelly, and unreliable (why reliability runs were popular) and by 1920 was the clear winner as a whole infrastructure developed around them that is still in place today.

OTOH one dilemma today is whether to recognse "restomods". Where would/should a Doble with a closed cycle "motor" running on Learium or a Baker with Tesla cells be recognised ?

For me, I don't think I have ever had a "stock" car. For example all of my cars have AGMs (and always find GM cars - was at the show in Ocala - with R-59s hilarious).

Personally do not consider the stock wheels/tires on my Reatta (all now have 16x7s) or the Judge (now on 15x8s) to even be safe in the driveway. Even in '70 my GS had 15x7's with Dog Bone Dunlops - decidely not stock. Also won autocrosses. All now also have Bluetooth and Hands Free Phone. Again non-stock. Lines on my Judge and the carb has been rebult for gas with Ethanol - not stock.

So for me the most important thing is to be safe and comfortable to drive because each of my cars has a garage door and each could be a "daily driver". I make no apologies for that because I also paid for them.

Do have a tendancy to find a car I like, spend a year making it mine, then keeping through "new" to "old" to "antique". Suspect my current herd is the onle I'll keep though there is room for one more. Pretty sure I know what that will be when get a little less expensive. Am a Scot after all.

ps to me there is one movie that really says it all, Smokey and the Bandit. Much of what I do from Executable Ascii to runing a 13.5 AC with a Honda 2000 stems from "they said it couldn't be done". In this case though "When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.." seems more appropriate.

To say that it does not make any difference is a bit silly when you look at how many have commented on motor vs engine.   Obviously it does make a difference to a large number of people.   I have a good many young people hanging around my work shop taking an interest in older automobiles. One of the first things they learn is to use the proper terms. They learn to use the right tools and that if a job is worth doing it is worth doing right. One of my favorite things to tell them is that a job half done is not done at all.   :D 

Guest AlCapone

To say that it does not make any difference is a bit silly when you look at how many have commented on motor vs engine.   Obviously it does make a difference to a large number of people.   I have a good many young people hanging around my work shop taking an interest in older automobiles. One of the first things they learn is to use the proper terms. They learn to use the right tools and that if a job is worth doing it is worth doing right. One of my favorite things to tell them is that a job half done is not done at all.   :D 

Wow, where'd did that come from ? When you put things in perspective yes it is indeed silly.

Sickness, famine, plague and war make this subject very silly. Wayne

Wow, where'd did that come from ? When you put things in perspective yes it is indeed silly.

Sickness, famine, plague and war make this subject very silly. Wayne

Wow, when compared to those particular curses, just about every thing is silly ... including this forum and this hobby. 

I do find, however, the discussion of the terms "engine" vs. "motor" both entertaining and informative.

So keep the iggorant (sic) :P  comments coming, you "Motorheads" :rolleyes:  while we, oh so much wiser "Enginedudes", :D  read 'em and chuckle (or sometimes LOL).

Motor Engine on down the road,

Grog

Wow, when compared to those particular curses, just about every thing is silly ... including this forum and this hobby. 

I do find, however, the discussion of the terms "engine" vs. "motor" both entertaining and informative.

So keep the iggorant (sic) :P  comments coming, you "Motorheads" :rolleyes:  while we, oh so much wiser "Enginedudes", :D  read 'em and chuckle (or sometimes LOL).

Motor Engine on down the road,

Grog

post-142660-0-29437600-1444081278_thumb.

Are you sure that wasn't W.C.Fields?

And Keiser.. I booted the local club also.

On October 13, 1951 the only son of Groucho, Arthur Marx, published a version of the anecdote in Collier’s Magazine. This is the earliest variant by a close family member with intimate knowledge of Groucho. Over the years Arthur Marx recounted different narratives of this episode, and some will be presented further below. In 1951 he said that Groucho joined the Friars Club at the insistence of friends, but he did not participate. So Groucho sent in a letter of resignation [AMG1]:

In the next mail, he received a letter from the club’s president, wanting to know why he had resigned. My father promptly wrote back, “Because I don’t want to belong to any club that would have me as a member!”

Guest AlCapone

On October 13, 1951 the only son of Groucho, Arthur Marx, published a version of the anecdote in Collier’s Magazine. This is the earliest variant by a close family member with intimate knowledge of Groucho. Over the years Arthur Marx recounted different narratives of this episode, and some will be presented further below. In 1951 he said that Groucho joined the Friars Club at the insistence of friends, but he did not participate. So Groucho sent in a letter of resignation [AMG1]:

In the next mail, he received a letter from the club’s president, wanting to know why he had resigned. My father promptly wrote back, “Because I don’t want to belong to any club that would have me as a member!”

e

A classic one liner for sure! Wayne

Did I really just read 4 pages of grown men arguing over calling an engine a motor? I love forums.

On Topic, OP what forum did you just get the boot from?

Arguing, no way!  Just a passionate discussion of something that has no "RIGHT" and no "WRONG", and absolutely no significance in the face of all the World's ills (maybe that's been its attraction).  You have to admit that it has been entertaining/fun.  Besides which all those 'motorhead' Neanderthals ...  

I'm just gonna motor  umm, engine on down the road,

Grog