Torque Specs

Dean3326

Torque specifications are a function of the diameter, thread and composition of the studs or bolts. You don't say what this is for, but torque wrenches are a fairly modern invention. Google "torque specification chart." It has little or nothing to do with the make of the engine.

"Run it up until it's tight and give another half turn."  Advice given to me by an old time mechanic 50 years ago.  Somewhat tongue-in-cheek maybe, but he never used a torque wrench.  He didn't own one.

Terry

Mechanics of yore had to have a sixth sense about torquing in those days before manufacturers gave specs and torque wrenches came on the scene.  Knowing when to quit, and what a nightmare extracting a broken one was, they rarely wrung a bolt off.  Incidentally, how does everyone feel about using ez-outs?  I don't use them, they scare me, break one off and then you're really in deep yogurt. 

Mechanics of yore had to have a sixth sense about torquing in those days before manufacturers gave specs and torque wrenches came on the scene.  Knowing when to quit, and what a nightmare extracting a broken one was, they rarely wrung a bolt off.  Incidentally, how does everyone feel about using ez-outs?  I don't use them, they scare me, break one off and then you're really in deep yogurt. 

Here is a great discussion on removing the broken stud.

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/32594-help-broken-stud-removal-head-stud-broken-in-block/?hl=%2Bbroken+%2Bstud+%2Bremoval

And now OEM manufacturers use angle and torque measurement instead of torque alone, favoring angle. I worked in the sensing and verifying/recording of Torque/Angle when this started to take hold in the US auto plants in the 1980s.

As for your Lycoming engine, I would do as JV suggests and look up the recommended torque for that size/pitch thread and torque to that value. Be sure to verify fine thread vs coarse.  

When in doubt we just whip out the good old Engineer's Handbook and see what the recommended torque specs are for various sizes of fasteners. Best you can do. As stated above the specs provided by engine manufacturers have little to do with the actual engine and more to do with the strength of the fastener in question.