Looky what I just found ((00))

auburnseeker

I hate to call it a Barn find.  We'll call it a Garage find.  Poor neglected thing.  It Hasn't been on the road since '06.That's the original leather, or atleast what's left of it.  The top was put on in 1947.   Fenders were repainted but I think the body paint is original but pimpled with surface rust.  Underneath doesn't seem to have any rot in the rockers or floors. It's original enough there is still a set of tire chains in the trunk probably last used in the 40's.  post-86835-0-31569200-1433941136_thumb.jpost-86835-0-60766600-1433941149_thumb.jpost-86835-0-39160000-1433941162_thumb.j

• Like 3

1940 Buick--what series? A wonderful find. Obviously I'm a bit biased, but these are reliable, comfortable, and if it's a big series car, fast. Looks like a later steering wheel. Is this a car you've acquired?

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

It's a Special.  You are right at 1939. Wrong wheel as you pointed out but the rest looks pretty unaltered. The only rot I can find is the corners of the tail pan by the rear fenders where it rolls under.  It should run.  Rolls over but the battery is pretty well shot.  Looks to have had a new radiator put in in 2006? Was running and driving then in good order. I think it was used for a family wedding then put away and just about forgotten.  I tried to buy it last year but I didn't even get to look at it then and it wasn't for sale.

It'll be picked up by a rollback tomorrow ;)  

• Like 1

Well i just got it home.  had one near flat tire which was also a wheel that was stuck so we couldn't load it the way I wanted to but we did free it up before we planted it in the shop so it rolls pretty well.  Also my friend thought there was something wrong with the shifter as he couldn't get it to shift when he looked at the car originally then I realized the ignition switch locks the shifter and the steering so with that on,  it seems to shift gears so the clutch isn't stuck.  I got a bunch of receipts with it in folder marked black beauty.  They show new brake lines in 2006, New tires in 2000, (has 15 inch wheels so they are wrong) A new radiator and system flush with new antifreeze in 2005.  Seems like every year they out it out at that point had the oil changed, a grease job and a notation was made that they oiled the underneath.  I don't think they were talking grease job either.  Maybe that's why it survived.  I found an oil change sticker from 1965 for a local garage.  I don't think I've ever had a car with local history.  Kind of neat to think about.   I had the camera but neglected to take any photos outside.  Here is a little better shot in my shop.  post-86835-0-77031400-1434052277_thumb.j You couldn't walk through that bay an hour before that photo was taken.  It was a mad dash to clean it out. 

Pretty close to the state of delirium would be my guess.

Two of those '39 Special converts are etched in my mind from the early 1960's. 50 years later I still look for them when I drive by the locations. One in Bergen, NY and the other in Spencerport.

Bernie

Is it a series 40 Special (248ci) or series 60 Century (320ci)? But I note you state special above.

Usally only series 60 have chrome around the windows. like your windscreen. Centurys have 15" wheels

Will have a data plate on the fire wall - cowl

The rot in the corners of the tail pan, by the rear fenders, where it rolls under is common. Is double skinned in that area

Now you can join the '39 Team   :)    http://forums.aaca.org/topic/207201-39-buick-team-membership/

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

For your sake I hope it is a Century as "39_ Buick" suggests.  Biggest engine, smallest body, "Century" refers to a top speed of 100 mph.  '39's are one of my favorites, and are included in my "ones that got away".  In the '60's a friend bought a '39 Century convertible off the back row of a sleazy used car lot for $50.  Though run down, it had definite possibilities, except that where the transmission was supposed to be there was just a great big gaping hole.  Not to worry, I spotted a century sedan for him on the police auction list and he and I attended the auction.  The sedan was complete and had everything the convertible needed, and more.   Sadly, when the bidding reached $60 my friend dropped out.   Later, sensing that he had lost interest in it, I asked if he would like to sell it, and was informed that he just had! 

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

A footnote about the transmission;  it has a "one year only"  (translate troublesome?)  linkage consisting of a selector cable plus a solid link.  The cable had to have a somewhat tricky adjustment occasionally, perhaps as the cable stretched.  I don't recall it being integrated with the ignition switch, correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd put money on it being a Special.  The odd parts are the windshield trim and wheels, but, unless, I'm wrong, "Special" trim on a Century hood would be too short.  Seems like I recall reading that the windshield trim was optional on the nicer Specials, aka convertibles and the like.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

In 1939 (and other years?) series 60 century's had 15" wheels. All other 40, 80  and 90 series had 16"

Century's have a faster diff (3.9) vs the 4.44 for series 40. The 1939 diff is a 1 year only design. Very few parts common with other years. The 1939 series 60 complete diff  fits series 40.  Also has wider brakes.  If you lucky you may the 3.9 ratio (option on series 40)

For the transmission a lot of internal parts and the cable change are 1939 year only. Some, but not many, transmission parts are common with other years before & after 1939.

My Dad has a 39 Special 4 door sedan that he has acquired a bunch of extra parts for.  His car has nice paint and was turnkey with a gorgeous original interior and woodgraining that the previous owner pulled the engine and scrapped it when it started making a noise to put a small block chevy in. That never happened.  My dad bought it and has since bought a couple of 39 and 40 drivetrains along with a complete 40 Coupe chassis.  He also acquired a nice set of rechromed bumpers and guards along the way as well.  His wheels have brand new tires on them and he offered them to me to use before they get dry rot from age. I'm pretty sure they are 16's though.  So fortunately I do have a family source for some stuff. 

I talked with the caretaker that drove the car before it was put away and he said it would really go.  For what that's worth.  I'll have to jack it up and try to check the ratio.  Hopefully that's possible with the enclosed torque tube. 

Easiest way to check the ratio is to crawl underneath and take the cover off. Oil will drain out. Then count the teeth.

The drive lines of transmission - torque tubes/tubes - differential  - suspension are different for 1939 to 1940

I haven't had a chance to do much on it.  I have it at the shop and the house is taking presidence.  I did clean up a little chrome, some of the pot metal is surprisingly nice and cleaned up a little of the paint.  Unfortunately the paint is shot but I can still get a bit of a chine out of it. I found a big mouse nest in the tool tray in the trunk so I have to dawn the Gloves and respirator and deal with that. 

Surprisingly I only caught one mouse once I brought it to the shop and that may have been a mouse that got in my shop from somewhere else. Nothing in the pail trap right next to the car.

I had someone make me a pretty good offer on it, Even though I told them it wasn't for sale,   but when it comes down to it,  if I took the offer I couldn't take the money and buy another car like it for that amount so I turned it down. 

A little update on my find.

I finally cleaned that nest out.  it was pretty darn big and nasty and old.  I vacuumed everything out as well.  The inside of the car which was pretty free of mouse contamination and cleaned the top as well.  I actually buffed out after a light wet sand half the hood,  part of the fender, half the cowl part of the door and they have a somewhat respectable shine to them.  The glass is super nice as are the vent window assemblies.  

The grille and hood ornament look real good.  The bumpers need to be redone because of peeling but the chrome that didn't peel is super crisp and shiny.  The car didn't spend much time outside as there is still 7 mils of paint on the top surfaces and it definitely has original paint on the the entire body 2/3 of one front fender and I believe the entire other front fender.  The rear fenders have been repainted at some point. All 5 rims match.  It has the jack handle and all hold down hardware.  Wrong steering wheel but everything else inside looks correct. No radio (has a radio delete plate).  It does have a factory buick heater in really nice shape.  Original floormat up front with one crack,  very nice original sill plates.  All the interior is original including the jump seats.

One negative is a rust hole where the mouse nest was.  What a shame.  The floors I have been able to access so far seem very good.  Some still have black paint on them.  I think the mileage is around 70 KMI.  It's probably never been around.  

Interesting side note.   I thought I was in competition with the care taker to buy it but comes out (you have to love a small town)  that the person who made me the offer on it was trying to buy it through the care taker and the caretaker had no real interest in it.

He was dabbling around with a pretty low offer.  Mine was quite a bit more so I got it.  I don't think he ever saw the car though. His offer would have probably been higher.  

So it goes to show if you want something don't mess around or it will be gone.  

Reminds of a model A  slant windshield Cabriolet someone wanted in a color other than bronson yellow. ;) 

I'll try to get some updated photos of the progress tomorrow. 

It's pretty amazing looking at those virgin shiny door jambs  and unpainted fasteners.  Even in a bit of a dilapidated state there is something kind of magical about an original car.  You can almost feel the history.

• Like 2

Looking good.  Does it run?

By the wipers & grilles its an early production probably with the short chassis.

The data plate would be interesting to some of us.

Now you can join the '39 Buick team   http://forums.aaca.org/topic/207201-39-buick-team-membership/

I had heard that about the grilles from my Dad. (wider spaces for late cars because of an overheating issue. )   I think his is an early car as well. I haven't gotten to the running part yet. In due time.  Probably in the next week or so.  I have a new 6 volt battery already for it.   I'll try to grab the info off the data plate tomorrow.  It's at the shop and my time is kind of limited their.