1926 vinyl?

Rogillio

Guest Al Brass

It was known as "Hoodite" here, leatherette was for seats etc and not as heavy as hood material.

Regards

al. 

If you aren't a total correctness freak you can get everything you need right there >>> https://www.modeltford.com/pl.aspx?t=s&v=top%20material&page=1

My '25 Dodge has what I think is the Cobra short pattern top.

I got rain gutters from the same place >>> https://www.modeltford.com/pl.aspx?t=s&v=rain%20gutter&page=1

I didn't install the "snap on" part. 

I left it out and drilled/nailed the actual gutter directly to the top wood with spiral nails from the same source and it looks great....... :)

Vinyl was not invented yet but they had other synthetic materials. I believe they were made of a linseed oil base, like linoleum but could be wrong. There were several manufacturers, each with their own formula and brand name.

Some makers covered the whole body with such materials instead of steel or aluminum. They made a shiny patent leather type material, others made a smooth matt finish, and there were various kinds of leather grain patterns.

Guest bkazmer

Coincidentally, 1926 is when flexible vinyl was invented.  But it would not yet have been in production for roof inserts.

"Leatherette" is a meaningless marketing term applied to various stuff over the years, as RO'T says - From the 1930's on it generally does mean flexible vinyl.

It was probably Pantasote, the forerunner to vinyl. It was fabric coated with a waterproof material, and was used for convertible tops and closed car inserts.......there is no exact replacement available today, and what you get from T suppliers is vinyl..

Guest bkazmer

I agree that something from the Pantasote Company is most likely - they go back to the 19th century making fabrics that were two layers of fabric glued together and coated to make it waterproof and weather resistant

What is in a name? There have been numerous basically similar type materials that amount to a cloth (maybe cotton, maybe a more modern synthetic) held together and made somewhat water repellent by some binding/coating agent (shellac, something similar to enamel paint,  or a more modern synthetic like vinyl). It may or may not be impressed with a "grain" or pattern. Ford started using a "leatherette" for some of the upholstery in 1913. They were not the first.

While modern vinyl is similar in visible structure to original top materials, and can be used and look good (given a decent grain), it would be best to use an actual top material because most vinyls are not intended for the direct exposure to the sun followed by being driven (trailered?) 70 mph down the freeway. Most model T parts suppliers can provide it or at least point you into the right direction. Top material comes in several standard widths. I found that the wider widths (such as 64 inch) are difficult to come by (is it okay for me to mention names or post a commercial link on this site???). If your car does not need the wider size, most any good model T, model A, or general antique automobile top supplier, should be able to help you.

Guest bkazmer

Exterior grade vinyls are quite up to it - consider their use in convertible tops.  They're formulated with low volatility plasticizer, UV absorber, fungicide, heat stabilizer. 

• 2 years later...
Guest Texas Jim

Regarding this question of vinyl, I recently bought a 1923 Dodge Bros Touring, an amazingly complete and original condition car. The top is ruined but plenty of remnants on the frame - I am 100% certain it is an original top, it has a  WWII  "A" gas ration stamp on it.  And if its not vinyl, then I'll eat my driving gloves!   The underside is a tight weave fabric, and the top side is a fused flexible plastic with a printed grain.  Like any modern vinyl I've ever handled.  It is not oil cloth; it is not a ply fabric treated with shellac or any so called weatherproof.

Ah but I didn't post this to pick a vinyl fight!  I'm trying to find a resource for a new top .  A pattern, or specs, can anyone direct me?  Are there shops out there with patterns  or steps?  I want to give my local upholstery guy as much direction as possible.  Much obliged

1 hour ago, GregLaR said:

no mention at all of Naugahyde.........from the now (thankfully) extinct Naugasaurus?

Now sadly extinct because its only habitat was the Dupont Forest...

BTW, Eric Haartz has reproduced several varieties of Pantasote.

Long and short grain top material is still available from companies like leBaron-Bonney but now I think it's only available in 54 in. widths. The old type grained top material is no longer available so I would recommend the the long and short grain due to strength as it is a coated fabric.