Install Gauges in Ashtray, Has anybody done it ?

Bill Stoneberg

I am thinking of putting a temp and oil pressure gauge in to augment the idiot lights in my 64 Riv.  I was wondering if I can put them where the ashtray is so I can close the door and not have them seen all the time.

It looks like there is room and I was wondering if anyone has done it and if you have pictures, hints, or suggestions.

I really would prefer not to drill into the console if I can get way with doing this.

Thanks

Guest Kaber

Bill,

While I have not done it, I have seen more than one car that it has been done too. It appears there is enough room for a couple of standard gauges or maybe 3 small ones. The ones I have seen are usually Oil Pressure and temp like you said. I'm sure it would require a little fabrication but the added feature of being able to close the door over them is very appealing! Post some pics if you do it, We were thinking of moving the tach down to the console and that would be a good time to add gauges as well. I have noticed that Autometer sells gauges that are a dead ringer for the factory speedometer with stainless style trim on the gauge face. I think they would go great with the factory instruments.

Tim

When I bought my '63, the previous owner had five gauges in the ash tray slot.  They were lit, and had their own switch to control the lighting.  Two of the gauges were of the kind that only the top half revealed anything so the bottom halves were below the bottom level of the ash tray. He had installed a tach and vacuum gauge besides the customary oil, water, and amp gauges.

The blue tape on the gauge panel in the picture shows where the bottom of the opening for the ash tray was.  The lid could be closed.   The red tape shows where he screwed it to the console, and the green tape shows where the toggle switch for the lights was.  I think that the tach and vacuum gauge were on the top row when it was installed.  I just put this back together to show that all five would fit.

Ed

post-93305-0-97443200-1431610530_thumb.j

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Thanks for the information and the pictures.

That makes it easier to visualize.  I will post pictures as I move forward with this project.

Who needs an ashtray in these days anyway ? My new car doesn't even have a lighter or an ashtray.

Guest Kaber

Interested in doing this with my car. Anyone know which specific Autometer gauges match up?

Thanks

Autometer American muscle........

gauge_zps82covonk.jpg

Guest dwhiteside64

The '64 has a much smaller area and door for the ash tray than on the '63, and unlike the '63, it's positioned at the very bottom of the center console. These two factors could make doing this modification less desirable on a '64.

I installed the "Big Four" (Oil Pressure, Coolant Temp, Voltage, and Fuel Level) in the radio plate.  This is the raw version, when I put new veneer on the rest of the interior, this will get skinned as well.

IMG_0611.jpg

Here it is in the car:

IMG_0187.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd get some better pictures up including my Autometer Speedo, Tach, and boost gauge (well the Tach and boost gauge have been in the cluster for a while)

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

Pardon the mess, still putting stuff back together.

• 8 months later...

Hi, have just received my two custom built gauges from Speedhut, oil and temp. Both 2 and 5/8 inches diameter as did not want them to look like speed shop after thoughts and I want to see them at a glance without squinting.

. Speedhut web site allows you to custom design your gauges from font style, needle type, background colour etc etc and allows you to view them day/ night. I tried to match existing 63 and think I have it right. Was originally going to hide them in ash tray but after spending small kings ransom, decided to leave in view all times as all other gauges are. Will post pics when installed. Opted for digital stepper motor for ease of installation and accuracy. Very pleased with what they delivered, will report back when installed.

I just put my Vintage Air control panel in the spot where the ashtray used to sit. It's a 3 knob arrangement that is totally hidden unless you open the ashtray door. I kept the outer edge of the ashtray/lighter base, used a Dremel to cut out material, tack welded a small shelf on it to hold the control panel, painted it back and re-installed. It came out really sanitary. IMHO, if you can keep some of the existed ashtray/lighter base and fab on to it, the whole arrangement works better. Plus, with only three screws holding it in place, it's super easy to access when arranging/servicing gauges or whatever. PRL

Bill,

I did it on my '63 and '64 Riviera's. You have to be willing to cut the back off the ash tray, then using a piece of flat sheet stock, cut the required shape and spot weld in place. I covered mine with the same veneer used on the doors and console. On the '64, I filled the cigarette lighter hole with a chrome marine dash light that was connected to the factory lighter lamp wiring.

Temp & oil pressure gauges on The Deer Hunter,

Here is what will go in my 63 from Speedhut, both 2 and 5/8, easy to see and will blend with the original dash unit.

Back lighting is green. Also may install cigarette lighter socket and plunger centred between the lights and wiper switch, as this is where the rear blower defogger switch would go. This Can then be used to power IPads and phones. Besides I may take up smoking as it might be a cheaper hobby! Only kidding there.

post-155932-0-81218700-1454966865_thumb.

post-155932-0-62512800-1454966890_thumb.

25+ yrs. ago I installed mini ( 1 1/2" ) mechanical oil pressure & water temp. gauges & mounted them in front of the headlight switch on my '64. Looking into the car they are not an eyesore or unobtrusive iIMHO. They are right in my sight of view while driving & can be glanced at while driving WITHOUT taking your eyes off the road even for a second. ALWAYS in view, just the way I like it. At a quick glance I can tell if I'm down a qt. of oil because the gauge reads about one PSI less. Same with the temp. gauge. I can watch it climb or decline while stressing the engine or going down a hill. Pulling the knob for the headlights or turning them off is not a problem. The harder thing to do is dimming of the dash lights. BUT, as time goes on I need them to be as bright as possible.

As far as I'm concerned there are already too many things going on within the console as it is & this just complicates matters even further.

Many people saw my car at Hershey & no one commented that they looked bad. While some others had questions about the headlight switch. After explaining there was no problem I was complimented on the location. MANY more had compliments about the tach location & the offers to buy it being it was a 60's Stewart Warner gauge that I bought & installed in the 60's that still works & is accurate to boot.