Where can I get good innertubes

Linus Tremaine

All,

I have a 27 Lincoln with 700-21 tires on it. I purchased a replacement tube from Lucas Classic Tire. I guess the quality is okay but it is a universal fit type of tube that is meant to work on various sized tires as small as 600-19. The problem that I have is that the flaps for 21" tires don't fit inside the inner diameter of the tubes because the tubes are significantly smaller than the old 21" tubes I took out. No matter how much fighting I do, I cannot get the flap to fit in after the tube is installed in the tire. The other problem, is that the smaller diameter tube sticks out from the tire and interferes with the rim when I try to put the tire back on the rim. I guess if the dang flap would go on this would not be a problem.

so- are there any companies who have not sold out and still make real 21" tubes? Or do I have to cut the flap down so that it will fit. I really don't want to do that.

I recently bought a couple of tubes from an outfit called Millers. Found online.

Can't say any good or bad as I have not installed them yet. But they did ship right away.

Just thought it may be worth a look.

Can you inflate the tubes so the flaps will fit? It is perfectly Ok to use a smaller tube than specified (if you can get it mounted) but never use a larger tube than specified. We just went thru our 4th experience in a row where we were shipped wrong/junk tubes from one of the major tire suppliers. It's really discouraging.

Guest cben09

In the old days ,,,tubes were often marked 2 or 3 sizes,,

If i needed to make a second choice for 7x21,,

think i'd take a 6x20,,,by the time 6 gets to 7

the diam will be 21,,,I once put a bicycle tube in a

28x2 or28x3,,,it was not going on the road tho,,

AAAhh ,,the good ole days,,did I leave my coffee

over there,,?? Ben

I believe there are no longer any tubes made in the USA

It seems the only decent tubes avalible world wide these days are from England. There are tubes made in Denmark, India and China and none of them seem to be any good

A few years back I had a lot of trouble with Danish and Indian tubes, ie. installed new tubes and a couple of days later they would be flat. Pull them out thinking I must have pinched the tube, patch the leak and then repeat the process again the next day.

Turns out the rubber would crack as the tube expanded. One new Danish tube lasted a whole 1/2 hour before it went flat.

Two brands that I have found to be OK are Waymaster and Michelin.

I purchased some reinforced Waymaster tubes out of England (three times the price) and immediately noticed that they were about three times the weight of the others and you could feel how thick and pliable the rubber was.

Never had a problem since. If you check the Vintage tire suppliers in England you will find what you are looking for. Here is one below.

http://www.vintagetyres.com/item/543/600-650-700-20-21--waymaster-offset-rubber-valve-tube-

• 4 months later...
Guest AlCapone

Brattons Model A parts has a reputation for having an excellent tube made for them. You should contact them and speak to the owner Walt Brattons. Wayne

I bought a tube from a major tire supplier last fall and had it installed by a truck tire shop that knows what they're doing.   The finished wheel/tire where mounted on a car that does not run & just sits in my garage and does not move.  This spring I noticed the car tilting to one side & found the tube was slowly loosing air.  I took it back to the tire shop & upon breakdown we found the tube had a one inch split along one of the seams.  This was not an installation error but rather a tube defect.  The tube was made in China.  The company sent me a new tube for free.  The new tube was made in Korea.      

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)

Unnamed large tire manufacturer sells tubes that are approximately the thickness of a latex glove. Then they glue the valve stem on after you order it. I believe the glue they use is Elmer's and it is applied with a double-edged razor blade by a blind man with only two fingers on each hand. Bought six tubes, three of which leaked, then got three replacements, one of which leaked, one replacement replaced twice more, eventually I had six tubes that only leak slowly. If I don't put it on jack stands over the winter, it will be sitting on four flats by Christmas. On jack stands, they'll still be flat, but at least the brown whitewalls won't be totally ruined.

Yay invisible hand of the free market!

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Any buddy try those  3mm thick ,extra heavy duty extreme motorcycle tubes ? Notice on ebay. sized for 19" ,.

For the last few years I have been using heavy duty motorcycle tubes on my 17" wheels. I need radial, not offset, stems and the antique tire vendors only seem to carry offset stems in that size. The stems on the motorcycle tubes are smaller diameter at the base than you should have for a car tire but a couple of fender washers makes it work but probably not what you would want for show but it seems to work for me (on second set of tires doing it this way, first ones wore out).

I'm afraid that automotive inner tubes are going the way of whitewall tires. It's the Wal-Mart effect,

"stack it high and sell it cheap and if it's not the lead seller, drop the line". "Specialty stores can

sell it" Then manufacturers follow suit and the specialty stores have to by from China, Viet Nam, Korea.

Profit is the only consideration. Now, if you put blackwall radial tubeless tires on you 1925 Peerless, is

it a street rod?

For what it's worth; I recently purchased some tubes for a 1914 Maxwell from Snyder's, and was pleased with them. I also bought tubes from Universal last year for a 1915 Buick, and had no complaints.