I'm kind of lost for a price on a Kissel

Guest PhillyPhil

Guest PhillyPhil

Hi... I've got a barn find and I'm interested, but I'm having a hard time finding a fair price. I want to treat the owner fairly. Could I ask for a bit of input please? This is an unrestored Kissel, last worked on in the fifties. She says all the parts are there, just disassembled. '27 Kissel Convertible Cabriolet, All Year Coupe Roadster 8-65. If I pass on it, I'll let y'all know.

post-103616-143142766061_thumb.jpg

post-103616-143142766063_thumb.jpg

Kissel is an interesting car, and as mentioned an open car to boot....but what a mess....and you have no idea what parts are missing...if that's the hood in one picture, on top of stack, it looks rough....I don't know Kissel values, but my WAG would be $5000-$7500 tops, and that, as everyone knows, is just the down payment .... lots to do and pay for left....good luck on acquisition if you want to enjoy the restoration experience....and it is mostly enjoyable!

Guest PhillyPhil

Her garage is pretty well packed, isn't it? Not my place to clean it. I was thinking 7-8-9000. Not well versed in older cars. This is convertible with a rumble seat. Might be too big a project for me. I've never messed with wooden wheels.

Kissels are interesting cars, but they're not terribly valuable in the grand scheme of things. It will cost more to restore than it'll ever be worth, so you should go in with your eyes open in that regard. On the other hand, if you enjoy a challenging project, that is certainly a big one. Parts are virtually unobtainable and you're buying a pig in a poke by taking someone's word that a car disassembled 65 years ago is still somehow complete (very unlikely). Open car or not, there's a very hard cap on the value both now and when it's finished, and I'm inclined to think that it shouldn't be more than $5000 in its current condition. If he can produce the parts and you can inventory them and make sure the big stuff is there and verify its condition, maybe he can negotiate up from there, but this is a big mystery on a medium-priced car that is made of unobtainium. Very, very, very limited market, not long lost gold mine for the seller.

Dear PhillyPhil,

According to the Kissel Registry which we Kissel Owners track, there are three known 1927 Kissel All Year Coupe Roadster Model 8-65 's known to exist. Your barn-find could be a fourth or one of the three that went missing a few decades ago. The left side of the engine will have a small plate on it with a number 65-xxxx which we can use to help you to identify the car's provenance. There are alot of 1927 Kissels around. the Coupe Roadster is a nice open car, but not anywhere near as desirable as a Kissel Gold Bug.

As to price, I recently bought a 1927 Kissel Model 8-65 Brougham Saloon (two door - first picture), the only one that exists of that closed body style. It was low mileage and complete as pictured. IF all the parts are there, a big "IF", I think your pricing of 5,000 - 7,000 is correct. It will cost you multiples of that to do a complete restoration, which you will not recover.

CCCA rules say that a Model 8-65 is not a Classic, but the CCCA has accepted a 8-65 Gold Bug as classic none-the-less. Never could figure out their rules.

Attached are pictures of my 1927 Kissel Brougham Saloon, and a couple of my other Kissels.

Thanks, RON HAUSMANN P.E.

post-58797-143142766318_thumb.jpg

post-58797-143142766325_thumb.jpg

post-58797-143142766332_thumb.jpg

post-58797-143142766593_thumb.png

post-58797-143142766318_thumb.jpg

post-58797-143142766325_thumb.jpg

post-58797-143142766332_thumb.jpg

post-58797-143142766593_thumb.png

All,

There are approximately 37 Kissel Gold Bug Speedsters in resored or "complete" unrestored shape that exist. Then a few chassis, engines, body parts. on top of that there are about 150 other Kissels of various open and closed body styles, for a total of no more than 200 complete Kissels. We have a registry which has more entries than that, but many are just an engine or a body or a pile of parts. I know that because i've contacted many of these.

Thanks, Ron Hausmann P.E.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 years later...
11 minutes ago, kmstrade said:

I am curious whatever happened to the Kissel

The original poster registered and made three posts that first day, and has had no posting since that day.   Seven years of silence.   I wonder if Ron knows the outcome of that car?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Have the prices for restored Kissels risen any since 2014?

Craig

Don't count the last 3 months as we seem to be wildly spending money on everything,  but before that the entire market had declined across the board in the last 7 years.  Except maybe for the 1/10 of 1 percent stuff.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 1:34 PM, John Bloom said:

The original poster registered and made three posts that first day, and has had no posting since that day.   Seven years of silence.   I wonder if Ron knows the outcome of that car?

This happens a lot.