Antique Cars and the Public.....Public Property????

srhustiene55

Based on the above posts, I must be living in some weird alternate universe. In eight years of attending local shows I've never had any problems with the public. I enjoy bringing the cars out and the public seems to like looking at them and occasionally asking the odd question. No drama.

This has been my experience too. And, from time to time, I actually drive the car on local errands and park it in regular shopping center parking lots.

Based on the above posts, I must be living in some weird alternate universe. In eight years of attending local shows I've never had any problems with the public. I enjoy bringing the cars out and the public seems to like looking at them and occasionally asking the odd question. No drama.

Don't get me wrong...I have been showing my cars for almost 15 years and I can count the occurrances of "major" incidents that have happened on one hand. Unfortunately, it seems like the trend is in that direction. This year at a major concours event (people paid $25.00 each to get in), I had a 2-3 year old pull open my side curtains and try to climb in with his muddy shoes. His mother stood there and said a couple of things like "now Billy, you shouldn't do that" "I'll give you a time out" "Billy, you are making me very unhappy" before turning to me with a helpless look on her face. I simply voiced a loud "NO" and the little guy stepped back. Mom then gave me a nasty look and stormed away. If they had just given me an minute, i would have let the little guy sit in the car after he wiped his feet on a towel I had there just for that purpose.

My experience, thankfully, was more humorous than anything else. I was shopping and parked my 1989 Caprice Classic in the lot away from everyone elses vehicle.... We both had a good laugh.

When I was in High school, I had a '64 Olds Jetstar 88 ragtop, but a friend of mine (whom I adored) had a '64 Starfire hardtop. Just as a joke I put my key into her lock and it worked. From then on I would switch parking spaces with her or just move it over a couple spaces. I had good fun with Sue over that.

When I was in High school, I had a '64 Olds Jetstar 88 ragtop, but a friend of mine (whom I adored) had a '64 Starfire hardtop. Just as a joke I put my key into her lock and it worked. From then on I would switch parking spaces with her or just move it over a couple spaces. I had good fun with Sue over that.

Off topic a bit, but at a high school reunion where a bunch of old friends were getting rowdy at an up scale golf facility, it was discovered that one of the guys Harley Davidson key would activate the golf carts and the key could be removed. There were a couple of dozen golf carts in that race but the police were good about it as the people in charge had a good sense of humor.

We did major repairs to a 55 T Bird's rear quarter and trunk. The owner drove it to a shopping center where it attracted the admiration of a fellow about to jump into his pickup parked across from the Bird. After gushing over the beautifully restored car and congratulating the owner on the condition of his car the man fired up his truck to leave and promptly backed into the Bird. Freudian jealousy maybe?

This car in this story was not an antique, at the time, and it was an accident? Ridgefield Park, N.J. Thanksgiving day 1969, A cousin of mine had a 1959 Rambler, he was fond of this car. My parents invited him over for Thanksgiving dinner, he had no choice but to park it on the street. While they're eating they hear a loud crash, my cousin's car had been rear ended. The car was repaired requiring major work grafting on a quarter panel, trunk pan, etc. No problems, UNTIL Ridgefield Park Thanksgiving day 1970, same car parked on same street in front of same house, while they're eating they hear another loud crash, yep, you guessed his car was rear ended again. I don't know if it was the same driver.

• 2 weeks later...

Rude, obnoxious, disrespectful, and ignorant people have always been around. But they do seem to be increasing in number. I also find that many parents do not teach their children not to touch other people's property any more. In fact, they usually just stand there while the kids are wrecking stuff.

Plus, I guess with new car auto shows, people can get in and do whatever they want. So I guess they think they can do the same at an antique car show.

For whatever reason, people seem to have to "pet" the aqua velour seats on my car. Doesn't matter if they have mustard, ice cream, ketchup, or whatever on their hands. they want to do it anyway. I spent a lot of time shampooing the interior of my car, only to find mustard, etc., stains on the seats when I come back. So my car always has the windows rolled up and doors locked. I don't care if it is sitting next to a million dollar Duesenberg that is wide open. Mine will be closed and locked. People can laugh at that if they want, but it is my car, and I want it kept nice.

I also get tired of hearing that we are the ambassadors of this hobby so we should allow kids and even adults to sit in and play in our cars and try not to hurt their feelings if they are doing something wrong. I'm not got to sit there and do nothing while someone is jumping on or smearing ice cream all over my car. I don't need to have my car damaged just so maybe someone won't get their feelings hurt or maybe in 20 years they will (but probably won't) have an interest in old cars. If someone expresses a genuine interest in my car and seems like they will treat it with respect. Then I will open a door, and maybe even let them sit in it. But that is at my discretion if I decide to do so. They are not entitled to do that as many people think they are.

Usually I have pleasant experiences at a show, and I have only had a few minor incidents with no permanent damage. But I would like to keep it that way and not have any more.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

Rude, obnoxious, disrespectful, and ignorant people have always been around. But they do seem to be increasing in number. I also find that many parents do not teach their children not to touch other people's property any more. In fact, they usually just stand there while the kids are wrecking stuff.

Plus, I guess with new car auto shows, people can get in and do whatever they want. So I guess they think they can do the same at an antique car show.

For whatever reason, people seem to have to "pet" the aqua velour seats on my car. Doesn't matter if they have mustard, ice cream, ketchup, or whatever on their hands. they want to do it anyway. I spent a lot of time shampooing the interior of my car, only to find mustard, etc., stains on the seats when I come back. So my car always has the windows rolled up and doors locked. I don't care if it is sitting next to a million dollar Duesenberg that is wide open. Mine will be closed and locked. People can laugh at that if they want, but it is my car, and I want it kept nice.

I also get tired of hearing that we are the ambassadors of this hobby so we should allow kids and even adults to sit in and play in our cars and try not to hurt their feelings if they are doing something wrong. I'm not got to sit there and do nothing while someone is jumping on or smearing ice cream all over my car. I don't need to have my car damaged just so maybe someone won't get their feelings hurt or maybe in 20 years they will (but probably won't) have an interest in old cars. If someone expresses a genuine interest in my car and seems like they will treat it with respect. Then I will open a door, and maybe even let them sit in it. But that is at my discretion if I decide to do so. They are not entitled to do that as many people think they are.

Usually I have pleasant experiences at a show, and I have only had a few minor incidents with no permanent damage. But I would like to keep it that way and not have any more.

One way to help with the problem you and many have is to charge less money for car entrants at a show and start charging the general public to get in. The paying spectator seems to me has a interest in cars while the ice cream family is just looking for freebie entertainment for the day.

I encountered a similar situation earlier this year at a major indoor car show in the crowded food court, when a guy and his young daughter sat across from my friend and I, and he proceeded to curse and swear at me because he somehow perceived that I was laughing at him, I wasn't looking at him or laughing, in fact I had no facial expression that I knew of. I asked, "Are you talking to me?" He snapped back, "Yeah, I'm talking to you!" At that point, my friend and I were done eating, so we got up and left the table as this person continued to rant until we had left the area. I naturally was tempted to escalate the situation, but finally realizing that I'm not as young as I once was, thought I had better not. My summation of the ordeal was that this person was likely under the effects of an illegal drug and that if I would have stayed any longer, the whole incident would have been later broadcast on that evening's news! The lesson learned is that I'll be more wary of the people around me due to the proliferation of illegal drugs, and I'm seriously considering taking advantage of the local "Concealed Carry" laws.

Edited by Larry W (see edit history)

One way to help with the problem you and many have is to charge less money for car entrants at a show and start charging the general public to get in. The paying spectator seems to me has a interest in cars while the ice cream family is just looking for freebie entertainment for the day.

I never did get this....... :confused: ........most engine and tractor shows let the exhibitors in free. A vast minority charge exhibitors the same gate fee as anyone else.

I can't think of a single show that charges exhibitors a premium to help make their show.

I make my own show nearly every day driving my cars.

I may GO to a car show now and then but, after actually showing at one show, I realized I do not want to sit around my car for an afternoon.......particularly now that the rage is 60's and 70's hopped up muscle cars.

In this area you don't have to go to many shows to see the same cars over and over.

If it's a fund raiser I'd rather donate some money and do something else.

Guest Old48Truck

cahartley, you've summed up my feelings nicely. I used to attend a lot of shows, but now only two or three a year now. For the life of me I can't understand PAYING for the privilege of letting people attend the shows for free (and doing all the stuff mentioned in other responses on this thread). In my opinion, everyone should be charged the same amount to attend - exhibitors and the public.

By the way, that's what the deal is on two of the shows I attend each year.

I will never pay to show my car. I am the one who has to maintain, insure and make sure none of the types discussed in this thread abuse my car. I'm not going to pay and then have to sit by it and then have to be my own security guard.

OTH, I wouldn't mind paying to see cars at a show as a spectator. That's the way it should be. I do that anyway when going to car museums.

Guest AlCapone

Sounds to me like you attract these undesirables. I have many cars and I have never had these mustard, ketchup and other experiences you have. Maybe you should just avoid car shows !

Wayne

Sounds to me like you attract these undesirables. I have many cars and I have never had these mustard, ketchup and other experiences you have. Maybe you should just avoid car shows !

Wayne

Nice attitude. The car attracts attention. Maybe yours don't. I think the location also has something to do with it. Some places people are respectful, other places, they aren't.

Nice attitude. The car attracts attention. Maybe yours don't. I think the location also has something to do with it. Some places people are respectful, other places, they aren't.

I had a similar thought. I had just joined a short while ago, and had been somewhat taken aback by the attitudes and ego's. There are examples of rudeness and disrespect in all facets of life, I don't think it is exclusive to the collector car enthusiast. Perhaps too much time in the VIP martini tent shelters one from the rigors of everyday life.

Most often kids between 5 and 15 years old are the best when it comes to respecting the cars.

The only time I will pay to show a car is when it is for a fundraiser that I consider a great cause, ethical and the money goes to the cause and not the promoters pocket. I understand here in Nevada everything has to be over insured.

cahartley, you've summed up my feelings nicely. I used to attend a lot of shows, but now only two or three a year now. For the life of me I can't understand PAYING for the privilege of letting people attend the shows for free (and doing all the stuff mentioned in other responses on this thread). In my opinion, everyone should be charged the same amount to attend - exhibitors and the public.

By the way, that's what the deal is on two of the shows I attend each year.

Maybe someday, the above philosophy will be mainstream.

In the past I have had my share of uncaring individuals. example: I had taken a vintage motorcycle to a local show, that was when I thought that restored vehicles were the way to go. Since changed that way of thinking.

Anyway: A guy with his family was admiring my motorcycle, I believe he was trying to shift the side gear shifter; when I walked up closer to the bike. Then I noticed his young daughter had a hot-dog; and it was dripping mustard on my front fender. Not her fault at all; the Mother and Father should have watched this. The Mother just grabbed her and they walked away, never say sorry or anything.

Many years have past; and more instances, now I enjoy my efforts and work. Besides, who wants to sit at a show in the hot sun, in some parking lot, while life passes by.

I have two antique vehicles, a 26 Chevy roadster (under construction) and a 35 Chevy pu, dent free with just a few minor scratches. Or it was anyhow.

I had left the 35 out side for a few days while I was away and upon my return found a very large dent in the right front fender. This was no minor oopsy. Who ever hit the truck knew they hit it and hit it hard.

The sad thing is I probably know the person who hit it but will never find out who that person is.

For the record the truck was parked well inside my property.

Anyone so sick of the attention their old car brings can ship them up here. I'll take them off your hands so you never have to deal with those pesky people again :P.

Now to quit messing around, I can understand the problem you guys are having with these kids. My solution is to go talk with the parents. A simple " Stop ignoring your child and teach them a little respect for other peoples property" is usually more then enough to stop the problem. It's not a rude thing to say if it's fact. That way your not discouraging the kids from the classic car market, but instead helping these parents feel like they actually need to teach some values. It doesn't matter if they walk away mad at you, the point will be taken.