CHARTER MEMBERS of BUICK FOOTREST EXCHANGE PROGRAM

Terry Wiegand

I gotta tell you guys out there - this forum is the greatest. I had been looking for the footrest for my '20 K-46 for quite a few years. Brother Brian Heil just happened to mention that he might know where one would be. This is when Larry DiBarry and I got together. He had just exactly what I was looking for. He wouldn't sell it to me though. The package showed up on my back doorstep one day with the footrest inside. Beautiful footrest. I offered some bear hugs and slobbery kisses (the guy kind) but he wasn't interested in them either. A nice friendship has grown around that rest. A couple of weeks ago Larry sent me a picture of the correct footrest that HE was looking for for his '25. It just so happened that I had that exact rest out in the shop. I sent him some photos and he got pretty excited too. He offered the same bear hugs and slobbery kisses to me. (sorry Larry, I'm not interested in those either). A few days later he gets the rest and he has the thing almost ready to go in the car. Now, is this cool or what? Two Buick fanatics get what they were really needing for their cars. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but, Larry and I are having more fun than two Jaybirds in a Mulberry Patch!

Terry Wiegand

Doo Dah America

Mr. Earl, the best thing you can do is bring one (or more) of those award-winning '54 Buicks to the 2015 National Meet in Springfield, Missouri. I would really like to have a ride in a 1954 Buick and we could give you a ride in our 1916 D-45. When I was a wee lad in 1954 and 1955, this little gal that I grew up with, her parents had a 1954 Super 2-Door Hardtop. It had a Robin's Egg Blue body with a White top. I remember thinking at the time that that car was the most beautiful thing on wheels. So, you can see I have been a Buick fanatic for almost 60 years. I'm glad you posted this on the other forum - that just means that Larry and I are having that much more fun. Hope to see you in Springfield.

Terry Wiegand

Doo Dah America

Just got off the phone from Doo Dah America. He was checking to see if we still had power after the ice storms. All is well in Franklin county.

Thought I would post some of the pictures of the aforementioned foot rests. Since we had a snow day and I had some time between bouts of chipping ice. I thought I would finish the foot rest for my 1925-25.

post-79073-143142381667_thumb.jpg

post-79073-143142381674_thumb.jpgThe last two photos show how I had to use a center punch to collapse the badly pitted 1" steel tubing to get it to pull away from the cast aluminum ends. What was unexposed showed nickel plating. The crack on the aluminum ends was started probably when the spiral drive rivets were installed when new. Of course with the corrosion making the hole smaller and the pipe larger. Also had to drill out the 1/4" rivets that the ends pivot on the floor mounts. I filed off the drive rivet heads, punched them out into the tube. Then I was able to carefully tap with a hardwood block until the two pieces separated.

I repaired the cracks with "Molecular Bonder" glue product and used a hose clamp to get back into shape. Then used some "JB weld" as a filler.

The replacement 1" tube I tried to find locally at a plumbing supply house. I would have had to buy a 24' length! I went to LOWES instead and bought a nickel/chrome look adjustable shower rod. Leif Holmberg from Sweden verified that the ends should be black. With the ends painted up it looks quite serviceable. I had a sufficient length of heavy wall stainless steel pipe but it would have weighted well over 5 lbs.

Thanks again to Terry Weigand for his participation in the Footrest exchange program.

Larry

post-79073-143142381644_thumb.jpg

post-79073-143142381657_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure what I did but glad I helped. A hug from Dr. Doo Dah is a bit, well, frightening. ;)

It is kind of funny since my car has never had a footrest as long as I've owned it. With all the gear and luggage I tend to travel with including most often a large cooler, I think I understand why someone removed it years ago. Speaking of cooler, how's your weather everyone? I know, sorry I asked.

About ready to change my signature line to Cabin Fever, Michigan

Come to think of it, a ride in Larry's car or Dr. Doo Dah's with my feet up sounds pretty good. 'Once around the park Terrance. That's a good chap.'

To further confuse our readers . . . . I have ridden in the back of Larry Schramm's truck and for that matter in the back of Mark Shaw's truck too. (Come to think of it, when do I get to sit up front?) No footrests but then you can swing your feet off the tailgate. And they in turn have ridden in the front and back of my Buick. And Larry S. has ridden in the backseat of Larry D's '37. Not sure if the '37 has a footrest.

I'm actually going somewhere with this.

Sharing rides on a tour or even just an afternoon visit and ride is a great way to meet new friends or visit. Footrests optional.

The single door to the left of the double door when facing the garage. Drifting and snowblower 'thrown'.

On a different note. Lee Wangerin sent many of us '23 owners this week a detailed disc of every part of his 23 7 passenger touring. Lee is not on the internet. This car was his grandfather's, purchased new, and very correct.

If anyone needs a pic of something 'correct' on a '23 six cylinder, just let me know. To give you an idea of the detail and number of pics on this disc, there are 6 pics of just the footrest as he rebuilt it.

Dr. Doo Daa and Larry D, I love it when a plan comes together. Was -3 F this morning. I doo declare, All y'all need a Buick Snowmaster Super Shovel. Larry S, Just put Brian in the drivers seat of the 15 C-4. I'm sure he can handle it. Yup, You Buick pals sur nuf is more fun than two Jaybirds in a Berry patch. :cool: Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Brian,

It's just that you are so tall that you fit better in the back....

I have two local buddies with 23 Buicks that would love to have copies of that disc...

Just got back from CA and had to wait two extra days to return via the coast route. Too much snow and freezing rain to come back over the passes.

Little Terry Wiegand can't let Mr. DiBarry get too far ahead of him you know. I really like what Larry did with the footrest that I sent to him. That center tube was downright rough now. It is amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do. Speaking of paint, here are some photos of my footrest that is ready to go into the car. As Dandy Dave (aka Speedo) says - 'don't you just love it when a plan comes together'. Thanks again to Mr. Heil for his part in this adventure.

post-56463-143142387367_thumb.jpg

Terry Wiegand

Doo Dah America

post-56463-143142387348_thumb.jpg

post-56463-143142387358_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

I would truly appreciate a little help and/or advice in the 'insert image' process of posting photos. I selected all three images at one time and you can see what I ended up with. Should I have selected them one at a time? I think the size is OK. Any and all suggestions welcomed.

Terry Wiegand

Doo Dah America

Dr Doo Dah,

Still looking for your pics. Will be this weekend before I can get to it. Tried once and got side tracked looking at other stuff on the disc. :confused:

As mentioned above, if some of you want a copy of the disc I would contact Lee directly. I would also $uggest you cover his postage, disc cost and time too.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it finally got up to about 40 degrees here last week so I installed the footrest in the 25. Now I will have to take and post some pictures of the temporary one I had powder coated to see if we can encourage a trade. In the meantime I am still looking for the robe rail.

So a photo of the correct footrest installed.post-79073-143142401399_thumb.jpg

A photo of the robe rail I am looking for.post-79073-143142401408_thumb.jpg

The style of what I have now for trade. Can anyone identify what it belongs to? post-79073-143142401417_thumb.jpg

Well it finally got up to about 40 degrees here last week so I installed the footrest in the 25. Now I will have to take and post some pictures of the temporary one I had powder coated to see if we can encourage a trade. In the meantime I am still looking for the robe rail.

So a photo of the correct footrest installed.[ATTACH=CONFIG]235794[/ATTACH]

A photo of the robe rail I am looking for.[ATTACH=CONFIG]235795[/ATTACH]

The style of what I have now for trade. Can anyone identify what it belongs to? [ATTACH=CONFIG]235796[/ATTACH]

Hello Larry, are you sure the picture of the robe rail you are looking for is original? Here are pictures of my original one on my 25 master Mclaughlin Buick. Granted, McLaughlin interiors are different than American Buicks but the swinging one you want to trade may be more suited to your car. Leon

post-51801-143142403412_thumb.jpg

post-51801-143142403413_thumb.jpg

Leon:

Thanks for the post with photos. I am always impressed with the "Cut Above" fit and finish in the McLaughlin Buicks. A 1924-45 I bid on in Sept 2012 (I was the high bidder but did not meet the reserve) had the same Rail as shown on your car. It was even fitted with a rear windshield. My little Standard takes the simpler one. But it looks fine with the fold down one now. Pictures of the car I bid on below.

post-79073-143142404921_thumb.jpg

post-79073-143142404913_thumb.jpg

Leon:

Thanks for your input. I had purchased my 1925-25 after the Sept 2010 Bugle article showing your restoration journey on your stunning McLaughlin. I have well thumbed the pages! I think that issue prompted me to go after my 25-25. Still much to be done but I do drive it. I still would like to move up to the larger model 45. I was negotiating on a 1926-45 but turns out to be a 1926-45A enclosed touring with some engine issues.

The 1924 was to me way over accessorized. I would have removed some of the things. Such as the horns. Over all the car was in great shape The heirs of the owner said he had it re-restored to his taste. Hence the "resale red". I have more painful photos of the flipped manifold and oil filter set up, cobbled up heater installation etc. Bright John Deere Green engine. I believe the photo of the Black (correct color) car is the same car before its re-restoration. Still lots of accessories. One thing I did like was how he installed turn signals and brake lights.

Larry

post-79073-143142407019_thumb.jpg

post-79073-143142407006_thumb.jpg

post-79073-143142407012_thumb.jpg

Larry, I'm with you and Leon, the car looks, well, 'gaudy' with all of the stuff on it. One just never saw a car like that back in the day out on the streets. John Deere Green on the engine would certainly be an eye-opener to say the least. I guess I'll just have to be content with the bud vase in the '20 and the factory authorized floor board exhaust heater in the '22. They both have Boyce MotoMeters on the radiators. That's as wild as my two closed bodied cars get with the accessories.

Terry Wiegand

Doo Dah America