Hagerty Roadside assistance yes or no ?

Guest AlCapone

Guest AlCapone

My roadside assistance insurance is due for renewal. A friend suggests I change to Hagerty plus. Looking for opinions. Please send private messages if you have had negative experiences.Thanks, Wayne

Edited by AlCapone
Policy violation. (see edit history)

I have that coverage and called when I experience a breakdown. The representative on the phone was terrific with dispatch of tow vehicle and even gave us a list of hotels in the immediate area. They were very thorough and professional. Of course we renewed our policy!

Guest AlCapone
I have that coverage and called when I experience a breakdown. The representative on the phone was terrific with dispatch of tow vehicle and even gave us a list of hotels in the immediate area. They were very thorough and professional. Of course we renewed our policy!

That is very helpful Steve. Thanks

I have Hagerty and have used Hagerty Plus for a tow. Like Steve my experience was smooth, the representative was polite, efficient and had a wrecker dispatched in a reasonable time. Like any insurance you hate paying the premium, but if you need it your glad you have it. The advantage of having a towing insurance through AAA, Hagerty or any other company is they can make the arrangements whereas on your own finding a towing service can be challenging when you are unfamiliar with the area. When it was time to renew I also kept the Hagerty Plus.

Carl

• Like 1

I have also been advised by others of their satisfaction and positive results with Hagerty Plus.

Additionally, I've personally had excellent support from J. C. Taylor's (Foremost) version with a similar program, both in the US and while touring in Canada, including:

Tow 50 miles (flatbed)

Flat tire

Dead Battery

Fuel delivery

Locksmith

Car Show Fee Reimburse (up to $100 if miss the show)

Auto Valet Concierge to find Taxi/Rental Car/Hotel/Flight

In my opinion, these programs are "worth their weight in gold" when you need them.

Sure, I also have AAA Premium /RV with 200 miles towing as well - hope to never need any of them again, but am prepared, and did need to have my tow vehicle and my loaded trailer towed last summer in Ohio en route to the Carlisle Meet.

We have had AAA Premium RV for many years and have used it a few times for roadside service and a few tows on our regular vehicles. I always assumed that it also covered my antiques, Other than some of the extras like car show fee refunds are there any advantages to having both?

Jim Bollman said, "Other than some of the extras like car show fee refunds are there any advantages

to having both?"

Yes, the antique car insurance covers the subject vehicles only. The AAA covers all your vehicles.

Situations like Marty had included the antique vehicle, the trailer and the tow vehicle. When things

go wrong is not the time to hear "You are not covered for that".

That's when people say their insurance cheated them, when in fact they didn't have the proper coverage.

Advice so far has been good in this thread.

30 years of insurance agents experience, says pay attention.

The BIG DIFFERENCE is that AAA only gives you a limited number of services each year (I don't recall if it were 3 or 4?), and a flat tire or a jump-start counts the same as a 200 mile tow,

so I use the road-services also provided by my cell-phone carrier for the minor stuff like the time my tow vehicle's fuel gauge showed almost half-full, but I was out of diesel and 2 miles from Kentucky I-65 Exit #2 and the Flying-J Truck Stop;

Also, the service on my JC Taylor was not limited to only 3 services - but was limited to a 50 mile tow, so I saved the AAA for when I might ever need a 200 mile tow.

A little bit of extra coverage for a very nominal fee is really a good idea, so I have all three:

1. AAA

2. Cell-phone Road Service (no charge per updates to my original Bellsouth contract back in 1982)

3. Antique Car Policy

Just like driving old cars cross-country, you cannot do too much preparation.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

The premium coverage by Hagerty covers all your vehicles including your daily driver. I've never had the need, but I was told it would even include a tow from sliding off the road and ending up in the ditch. They also assure you that your car will be transported by a flatbed.

have the + and only used it once but it was worth it but it did come with an odd hassle. The wife and I took the Model T for a long ride and came to a cross road, So just for adventure we took a right and drove for a very long time on this old back road and ended up at snowmobile water cross drag race. Thats when the carb float crapped out and she started pouring gas everywhere. I had no cell service so I have to use the bars phone and Hagerty wanted a cross street. Now I was lost, I didn't even know what the name of the road was I had came up! With a little help from the locals I was able to get directions to the wrecker service. From that day on Iv always took note of the names of any roads I travled

Guest AlCapone
Did you get the 250-mile rider? It's worth it.

yes I did get the rider. For the small difference it was well worth it and it then insures your everyday cars as well.

Thanks, Wayne

You asked, "Please send private messages if you have had negative experiences."

I don't use Hagerty and figure they are a fine company. But if all the POSITIVE

experieces are publicly posted and the NEGATIVE experiences are hidden in private

messages, the posting will be distorted! It would be like "the emperor has no clothes,"

with nothing but positive things being said.

If there are any regrettable experieces, they should be brought to light too. Thanks.

• Like 1

You asked, "Please send private messages if you have had negative experiences."

I don't use Hagerty and figure they are a fine company. But if all the POSITIVE

experieces are publicly posted and the NEGATIVE experiences are hidden in private

messages, the posting will be distorted! It would be like "the emperor has no clothes,"

with nothing but positive things being said.

If there are any regrettable experieces, they should be brought to light too. Thanks.

Hello, John.

Your query has been brought up many, many times over the years on this AACA Forum. Years ago I was a moderator, a past National Director, etc. Unless something has changed the following applies:

1. This website is owned by and paid for by the dues paying members of the AACA. The AACA is a 501 © non-profit organization under the IRS rules thus we are unlike the gazzillion open websites out in cyberspace where tearing apart companies, people, etc., are openly acceptable.

2. Years ago when I was involved on the board we discussed this issue as myself and other moderators were being verbally attacked on our forum for the same issue you bring up. The AACA retained legal staff clearly advised that the club could be sued for being (no pun intended) "the vehicle / medium that entertained and allowed" participants to attack vendors / commercial entities" on our website. Again, emphasis on 501-©3 of which could also be at risk of loss in such cases.

3. In practically every instance of which I was involved the subject vendor was not made aware that someone was blasting them on the "AACA owned" website. Out of courtesy I would lock the thread, notify the company being discussed, and allow them the opportunity to read the thread and reply to an issue.

In closing the 501-©3 takes priority.

In no way do I represent the AACA but offer the above to give you some input.

"Make it clear: I am not going to answer any responses to what posted so as not to take the OP's question off subject".

Regards,

Peter J. Heizmann

Forgot to add, John in case you or anyone is wondering ..."yes the club was in fact threatened with legal action in the past on a few occasions" for allowing open battles between vendors and customers on the forum. As Matt Hinson directed "use the PM feature" for what it is intended.

Regards,

Peter J.

Did you get the 250-mile rider? It's worth it.

Hi Barry,

I was under the impression Hagerty only had three plans (10, 50 and 125 miles) and the "High Octane" plan was only 125 mile coverage, which is what I have. Do they actually have a 250 mile rider?

Carl

One negative that applies to all road side suppliers and it can't really be fixed easily is the company suppling the end service is just under contract with the insurance company. Who shows up to help you can vary, I have been lucky that it has only varied from fair to excellent with most be excellent. Worst I can say is the wait can be a while if the contracted company is busy or further away that you would like.

Does any one now how many tow companies are under contract with each company, or do some of them just call the nearest service to where you are?

Guest AlCapone

Just to clarify........My Hagerty Plus ( High Octane ) provides for 200 KM ( approx 120 miles ) tows, an unlimited amount in the year. The present fee is $ 110 dollars per year( and there are other benefits of course ) ! Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Peter, thanks for giving your understanding of the legality of negative comments.

Your explanation was very thorough.

Wherever critiques are given, I still feel that they are necessary; but for ethical

purposes they should be done with courtesy and tact.

What good would Ebay ratings be, for instance, if only the positive ratings were published ?!

Many, many crooks could operate unhindered, and more hobbyists would be hurt.

Even Jesus "loved righteousness, and hated iniquity."

I hope AACA's lawyers were being conservative, and that such a thought of "see no evil"

may be changed some day with future opinions or future legal rulings.

• Like 1

Would love to see a case where an organization was successfully sued for a moderator not deleting posts?? :) Not a lawyer here, but computer guy ;) Maybe the AACA lawyers should check with computer crime lawyers.

Oh, and have had AAA Platinum for years. Never needed a classic car tow, but 3 times with daily drivers and twice with Class A RV.

Peter, thanks for giving your understanding of the legality of negative comments.

Your explanation was very thorough.

Wherever critiques are given, I still feel that they are necessary; but for ethical

purposes they should be done with courtesy and tact.

What good would Ebay ratings be, for instance, if only the positive ratings were published ?!

Many, many crooks could operate unhindered, and more hobbyists would be hurt.

Even Jesus "loved righteousness, and hated iniquity."

I hope AACA's lawyers were being conservative, and that such a thought of "see no evil"

may be changed some day with future opinions or future legal rulings.

Always think they are worth the weight in Gold :)

I have been a member with AAA for 17+ Years Now, Since I started Driving on my Own, have had to use it a few times for a tow, jump, etc... Also is nice to have for the Hotel Discounts, as well as other perks I have used over the years !! Since getting my 1929 about 2 years ago I have looked into using/ getting Additional coverage just for the 1929 (i.e. Hagerty's). A Guy I work with has the coverage on his Corvette, plus has the package that covers his daily drivers. Has had to use it a few times, and has NO COMPLAINTS, said they always have been helpful and considerate. Has thought about changing to other plans offered via his insurance company and other mailings, but sticks with them because of the service he KNOWS he WILL GET !!

Nice to hear all the positives. We'll be going cross-country later this year in the "hooptie" 1985 ("award winning hooptie" says my wife) and we're carrying both the Hagerty and the AAA.