Last Gasp For Old Wrecking Yard

JohnD1956

I don't hink anything from here is worth pursuing as a project. The other day I saw a 67 Chevelle Convertible being forklifted out. The top frame was the only thing holding the front and rear ends on the frame. Today we saw them pulling out a 69 Chevelle. Within 50 feet on the forklift the rear half of the frame was bouncing like it was made of jello and became totally separated from the body. Here's a few more pics:

Just a pack of parts and a mouse motel:

img_5343_original.jpg

x

Camoflage paint

img_5344_original.jpg

x

Some mopar guy struck gold, while the support vehicles did not fare too well:

img_5345_original.jpg

x

We will probably see this truck around the cruise circuit eventually. Not so for the 59 and 60 Fords to the left of it.

img_5346_original.jpg

x

Nice Pontiac.

img_5347_original.jpg

x

I always liked these cars and especially so after visiting the Museum in South Bend

img_5349_original.jpg

x

This one gets two pictures...a 59 or 60 I believe:

img_5350_original.jpg

x

img_5351_original.jpg

x

This picture shows that there was some effort at salvage in the past:

img_5352_original.jpg

x

This shows the extent of time that has passed since anyone was in here:

img_5353_original.jpg

Just a car I don't see often

img_5354_original.jpg

x

And one I don't ever recall seeing:

img_5355_original.jpg

x

Here's the irony of this yard. Notice the SUV to the left of this one:

img_5356_original.jpg

x

Another find in the middle of the pack:

img_5357_original.jpg

x

And the proverbial Land Yacht!

img_5358_original.jpg

Not sure how many more times I'll get back here. And I did find some parts of value. I picked a spare manifold for the 56 and a intact power brake reservoir. Don't know if I can get the top off that reservoir or not but I have a plan. Also got a spare windshield washer jar. Tried to get that bracket Roadster911 wanted but discovered I could not get a wrench on the bolts while the engine was in the car. Gotta think that one out for a few days and try again later.

Edited by JohnD1956
still can't remember left from right (see edit history)

I guess I am at a point in my life where I can be generous. I'll tell you what, if anyone finds an old car like any of those I will buy it for them. All I would want in return is a valid contract to provide the work and services required to make it a show presentable, reliable driver. Billing for work and materials would be charged monthly, net 10 days. A non-refundable deposit for 30% of the estimated total would be due at signing.

Imagine, a free car. Now that would really be Cash for a Clunker.

Bernie

What a deal! :rolleyes:

Even with scrap prices at all time highs, it seems to me that that is still not a deal when one considers the removal part. Some of those cars appear to be trying to go back into the ground! Not just sitting on the ground but 1-2 feet into it. Now, a forklift jabs through the b pillar area and lifts but my thinking it sometimes it might take more then that, plus removal of a truly virgin forest. Not to mention safety issues, seems like someone should be paying the scrapper additional for the work.

Dale in Indy said the pictures are sad and I agree, but it is more than that. As I scrolled through each picture one after the other, I was struck by the impression that all the cars looked.......sad.

I have been to many junk yards. I was at one on Tuesday. Never did I see any sad cars.

I wonder if any will look sad to me the next time I visit a junkyard ?

Dwight

I saw a few grill/bumper parts of some 55's and 56's that I know guys on this very forum are looking for.

We have a yard here like that....I tried many times to buy parts off the guy....he wanted fortunes!! I mean crazy prices. Last year he sold the whole yard to a scrap operation, I nearly cried.

Bumpers kept in conditions such as these are almost a total loss in this area. Pot metal subjected to 365 days of humidity with 4 months in freezing temps is even unluckier. Air flow is the key to longevity in this neck of the woods. And that is less possible when the entire car is on the ground.

Once I mentioned to a friend that I was looking for a spare top grill bar for the 56. About a year later he says hey I got something for ya. He pulls out a complete top grill bar. I thanked him for thinking of me and paid him what he wanted. I vowed that day to make my own deals in the future, after I evaluated the item. And I have not seen anything better in this yard yet.

Hope you're not bored with this but a few more just for posterity I guess.

Summer Cruiser ( Ed) and I just did some scoutting today. We found the area with the few old cars left:

tn_img_5364_original.jpgx

Not too much here in this era but there was this nice Hudson:

tn_img_5365_original.jpg

In the same area:

tn_img_5366_original.jpg

x

tn_img_5367_original.jpg

x

And then surprise, a Whippet!

tn_img_5368_original.jpg

I also took a look at quite a few bumpers just to be sure I wasn't overlooking something for anyone here on the forum.

All were trashed and I snapped these few pictures to show what I mean:

tn_img_5377_original.jpg

x

tn_img_5378_original.jpg

x

tn_img_5379_original.jpg

x

These were the better bumpers I saw and I just do not think they are good enough for cores.

x

I think someone did try to organize this place once:

tn_img_5381_original.jpg

x

And after this we got into another area which was so thick with overgrowth and cars of the late 60-70's that I could not even get a picture.

I went back to the one 56 I hit up for the manifold, and all of a sudden I noticed this:

tn_img_5392_original.jpg

x

Matt Whitaker's name is now all over that car, if he should want it.

This pretty much concludes my forraging here.

Hey, JD what model was that black '56? I'm looking for my grandmother's '56 4 door sedan that never had the spare out or was driven in the winter from Hudson, NY, had plastic seat covers and I think was red inside, had use only 10w-30w quaker state written in white on the right inside wheel well by my Dad, went to CT in the '90's when she passed was sold for $1000 should have been mine or my siblings but we were never offered it.

For what it is worth, the front bumper of that '56 is a heck of a lot straighter than what is on my car. Granted, mine is solid, just all dinged up and pulled on and such.

These trips you've been making on nice late summer / early fall days must give new meaning to the "old car smell". It would have been fun to stroll the yard with you my friend.

It has been fantastic weather. The only way it could have been better was if you all were able to come along in person. Today I had to take a day off to get some of my goodies installed and or packed away. Plus I was just too tired to walk that yard again. Summer Cruiser was supposed to go today. Waiting to hear if he found anything different.

Sorry Austin 9658, This is the one thing I have not seen. Most of what can be seen are 50's cars. There is another area where newer cars are but it is so thick with cars and undergrowth I can't even tell what the cars are. Maybe when the leaves drop this area will be easier to see.

Found myself back at it today. So here's a few more pics

tn_img_5406_original.jpg

x

It may be just me but since the good weather some of these cars suddenly seem salvageable, even this pontiac

tn_img_5407_original.jpg

x

But not this Olds, unfortunately

tn_img_5408_original.jpg

x

Or this Dodge

tn_img_5409_original.jpg

x

Or this two door Ford wagon:

tn_img_5410_original.jpg

x

Guest GRANNYS70SKYLARK

Thanks to John I picked up some really nice sets of trim for my '70 Skylark and some other stuff that I've been wanting for a long time. I also got some priceless stuff, namely fond memories of cars my parents, family, friends and I had throughout my life and the stories that go with the cars.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 58srgreat

For those of you who might be interested,some of these cars(mostly convertibles)are now being listed on EBAY.The seller's user ID is "GINADYLAN". The 1957 Cadillac El Dorado convertible that John took a photo of is now being listed.The listings state the cars are from N.Y. Check her completed listings to see what a 1959 Cadillac series 62 convertible sold for.Also, a lot of parts from these cars are being listed.It will be interesting to see what is listed in the next few weeks!

Steve

There are many listings but few bidders. Still, it appears one would be foolish to ever pass up a 58 Chevy Impala Convertible... As for the 59 Caddy, it looks like someone had some sentimental reasons, or was easily goaded into a dive into the deep end. Then again I may be totally wrong and passed up yet another once in a lifetime opportunity...

Guest GRANNYS70SKYLARK

The seller is from Long Island, must have made a deal to leave everything at the yard until its sold or might just be brokering it for the yard.

JohnD thanks again for awesome pic updates. Thanks for the pic of the 67 Riv!

Heres the link to the 59 Caddy sell. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-CADILLAC-SERIES-62-CONVERTIBLE-BARN-FIND-100-ORINGINAL-AND-COMPLETE-/141083964204?forcerrptr=true&item=141083964204&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item20d942732c&nma=true&si=YbP%252BFiMF6Inwcrp5gMyXA3xGDSI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This is very similar to an old yard in NC a few years ago. They started putting cars on ebay and it was a selling frenzy then they got burnt out listing and loading all the old rusty heaps onto trailers as people came and bought them. As Adam mentioned I saw a couple examples where people paid thousands obviously just for the tags. If I wasn't in the mioddle of a construction project I'd be making a visit to this yard. Better than any museum IMO.

Jason, I was out toward Windber Saturday AM along route 56. A young lady is selling off her dads old cars. All sitting outside similar to the ones posted here. Not as many cars, maybe 100. Same condition. I only saw two Buicks. one was a 1956 and the other a 1965 Skylark convertible. I think the add is up on Pennswoods.net

post-75523-143142244514_thumb.jpg

post-75523-143142244544_thumb.jpg