2013 BOD Election---Get Out the Vote

John

Just received my April Bugle with the 2013 BOD ballot and bio's on all the candidates. To fill 3 slots there are 7 candidates with significantly different experience and vision. I urge all members to read the bio's and vote. We need a BOD that best represents the views of the membership at large. If you don't vote, don't complain about the outcomes.

John

Obviously, I am a candidate. Most folks know me through the forum or in person.

I can say, one issue bothered me and has for awhile. Does anybody else notice that whole sections of the country have not had a candidate for awhile? There are many BOD members now or as candidates that are from Iowa, Minnesota & Texas. NC is represented as well.

Thanks to John Schieb for running to give the New England perspective, but what about out west? I can't recall a candidate from Colorado, the Northwest, California or Arizona. I know Dick S is on the BOD and has been on and off. Given demographics I was hoping for more of a sampling from the deep southeast, SW and west. Just my thoughts.

These regional perspectives might help when it comes to figuring out how to increase membership numbers in certain areas, where to hold BCA National meetds and in just making members in a certain area feel represented in the grand scheme of things.

BJM = Bryan Jake Moran

Also I would like to favor those that participate on the forums....so if you are a candidate, please check in since your user name and campaign name may or may not match. Thanks --

Willie

Its always interesting to see the persons name with the "handle" used on the forums. I realize that some members use more than one name also. In my BIO I have printed my name on the forum as Booreatta and I have used that name for many years. I have also listed my Phone number and email. I welcome anyone who wishes to discuss any issue pertaining to the BCA. I would appreciate everyones vote. Thank you

Chuck Kerls

booreatta@cox.net

316-655-1099 if I can not answer please leave a msg and I will return your call. Texts are also ok also

Y'all probably all know me, but I'll check in again for those who don't. I'm Marck Barker. If you have any questions before voting, or just want to chat Buicks (yep, I can speak some older Buick talk too. Not just Reattas!) give me a call 919.233.1973, or shoot me an email: Marck@eastcoastreattaparts.com

Look forward to seeing all y'all in South Bend in July!

Obviously, I am a candidate. Most folks know me through the forum or in person.

I can say, one issue bothered me and has for awhile. Does anybody else notice that whole sections of the country have not had a candidate for awhile? There are many BOD members now or as candidates that are from Iowa, Minnesota & Texas. NC is represented as well.

Thanks to John Schieb for running to give the New England perspective, but what about out west? I can't recall a candidate from Colorado, the Northwest, California or Arizona. I know Dick S is on the BOD and has been on and off. Given demographics I was hoping for more of a sampling from the deep southeast, SW and west. Just my thoughts.

These regional perspectives might help when it comes to figuring out how to increase membership numbers in certain areas, where to hold BCA National meetds and in just making members in a certain area feel represented in the grand scheme of things.

BJM = Bryan Jake Moran

Personally, I'm just worried about the possibility of two Reatta guys skewing things...

;)

I just heard it was three Reatta guys.

Newfangled technology...What with their touch screen dashboards and their unleaded gas and radial tires.

What???

I kid!

I too feel like a vote for a Forum member is a vote for a forward thinking family member.

Thanks again fellas

Personally, I'm just worried about the possibility of two Reatta guys skewing things...

;)

Yea I know. But, I'm 49 and since I started collecting I have owned the following Buicks, so I am representative of all eras:

1926 Buick

1936 Roadmaster

1949 Roadmaster 2 door Sedanette

1950 Roadmaster 2 door hardtop

1956 Special 2 door hardtop

1961 Electra 2 door hardtop

1963 Electra convertible

1964 LeSabre convertible

1964 Electra convertible - 2 different ones

1964 Riviera

1966 Skylark GS

1968 Riviera

1970 Wildcat 2 door

1971 Riviera

1972 Riviera

1972 Centurion - 2

1973 Centurion - 4

1973 Riviera

1973 Electra Limited

1985 LeSabre

1988 LeSabre T Type

1990 Reatta

Now Mike, don't get all biased on the newfangled guys...wait a minute, I are one...never mind. Oh right, that's Suzanne's car.

BJM, it seems you are missing Brass Era....

Some folks have talked to me about running and I fully intend to at some point in the future...I need some things to settle out here and get the business better established before I am able to devote the time.

As stated by another in the thread, thanks for stepping forward and giving us a choice...now to be patient about the arrival of the April Bugle.

Guest Hector
Yea I know. But, I'm 49 and since I started collecting I have owned the following Buicks, so I am representative of all eras:

1926 Buick

1936 Roadmaster

1949 Roadmaster 2 door Sedanette

1950 Roadmaster 2 door hardtop

1956 Special 2 door hardtop

1961 Electra 2 door hardtop

1963 Electra convertible

1964 LeSabre convertible

1964 Electra convertible - 2 different ones

1964 Riviera

1966 Skylark GS

1968 Riviera

1970 Wildcat 2 door

1971 Riviera

1972 Riviera

1972 Centurion - 2

1973 Centurion - 4

1973 Riviera

1973 Electra Limited

1985 LeSabre

1988 LeSabre T Type

1990 Reatta

Bryan,you need a '77-'79 Electra,Le Sabre or '77-'78 Riviera to list there.The last road tanks,in my opinion.You could still get a 350 Buick engine in them.

Mailed my ballot today,good to see multiple candidates willing to step up and run.

Hector -Thanks for voting. I was in on a low mileage 78 Electra 2 dr coupe but had to back off. The buyer of my 73 Limited has not paid me yet. I love the 77-79 Electras and the 74-78 Rivieras. But they are scarce, in good condition.

• 4 weeks later...

Bringing this back to the top as a reminder to anyone who hasn't voted yet. I always wait until the last week so in case some candidate says or does something influentially smart yes.gif or stupid shok.gif I can vote accordingly. Man am I glad I waited 'til the last week this time. sarcastic.gif

Remember to change the zip code on the ballot per Pete's instruction i.e. "If you have not sent yours in yet, please strike out the printed zip code and write in 46250-6682"

vote2yw.jpg

Lamar you are correct, if someone has not voted please do. The end is near and it is your club and mine. With the discussion on parking cars at South Bend there is still time for you imput. There are several different ways to look at the issue, and if you vote you will have a say. We have a wonderful club and we will continue to move forward and the best answers will still come from members who take time to vote.

I want to appreciate all of the supporters that I have out there and I would appreciate the support from those who have not taken the time to vote. Lamar thanks for bringing up the subject, Remember if you dont know who to vote for , just remember to CHECK CHUCK on your ballot and send it in. I have had several conversations with some of you and there are some really good ideas out there to make the club work better.

Thanks Lamar and fellow members. Ill see every body in South Bend

Chuck Kerls

Bringing this back to the top as a reminder to anyone who hasn't voted yet. I always wait until the last week so in case some candidate says or does something influentially smart yes.gif or stupid shok.gif I can vote accordingly. Man am I glad I waited 'til the last week this time.

vote2yw.jpg

I voted early, but I'm confident of my vote in retrospect to the past few days.

For the first time since I've been a member, I will be contacting each BOD member and urging all to vote for Brian.

In my view there is no reason why He should not return as President. I will also add, it is needed before it's to late DePouli.

This is also the first time I have stated publicly who my preference for President of the BCA should be. That is how critical I believe the vote for OUR next President is.

Edited by xp-300 (see edit history)

Bringing this back to the top as a reminder to anyone who hasn't voted yet. I always wait until the last week so in case some candidate says or does something influentially smart yes.gif or stupid shok.gif I can vote accordingly. Man am I glad I waited 'til the last week this time. sarcastic.gif

Sorry you did not vote for me Lamar. I knew I should have purchased that black Roadmaster! :rolleyes:

OK, what happened during the last few days that I missed?

John

John

There is a dust up regarding integrating the driven cars - or if I understand any non judged but enter Buick - with their appropriate class of cars that are being judged for 400 points. It's covered under the thread at the top regarding updates on the 2013 National Meet, started by Mike Book (1951 Buick).

A decision was made by 3 appointed (read: non elected) folks to seperate the driven class and non judged Buicks from the 400 point crowd. This is not normal, as the BCA is typically an inclusive club and all cars of an era are grouped together.

The end is near and it is your club and mine. With the discussion on parking cars at South Bend there is still time for you imput. There are several different ways to look at the issue, and if you vote you will have a say. We have a wonderful club and we will continue to move forward and the best answers will still come from members who take time to vote.

Chuck Kerls

Chuck is the reason I ran for the BOD, in addition to the illegal coup that ousted Brian as an activist accomplished President. Chuck stated to Keith and I "to put up or shut up." the upcoming vote is a referendum on whether the end is near for the BCA or not, so Chuck is correct, although I am twisting his words. This is essentially what xp-300 points out as well.

To seperate myself from Chuck, I will yield an opinion on the parking issue rather then say there are many sides to it. I would park all Buicks of a class together and if I were on the BOD I would let Mike Book know that and other BOD members know that.

The bottom line is that Mike Book wields a lot of power in the club and he is supposedly an employee of the club. He alone made the decision on how to park the cars, in my opinion.

The other two individuals sited in his supporting comment about the parking probably went along with him and post facto would say they support that deciosion. In fact, all 3 folks that made the parking decision are non elected individuals and not necessarily accountable for their decision. All volunteer their time, to be sure, and may be offended by my take on this issue, but at least I put it out there and answer to my comments.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

Bryan,

I appreciate your passionate views that you state, although I do not agree with them often. I also appreciate you having the cojones to do so.

I was also in the running (against Chuck) to be "appointed" to fill the last few months. I went through an intensive interview process with several sitting BOD members and I don't feel that I wasn't picked because of my views (which also run counter to some of the guys I interviewed with). Frankly, I didn't have the experience on paper. I had not been in office in my local chapter. I had never been involved on any National level. I had run for the BOD last time around and they liked what they saw in me, so that is why I was in the short term "appointment" process.

In addition, I appreciate you "putting up" rather than "shutting up" in the current election. I wish you luck.

The one recommendation I would make, would be to lay off of the Grassy Knoll aspect of your argument. While we may not agree with how things have been done recently (and frankly, I don't) I have emailed the BOD. I HAVE spoken with Mr. Book. They were respectful of me and my views, even after telling Mike that I would continue trying to change the things that I didn't like.

Again, I'm not falling in with the party line necessarily, but I treated them with respect and without accusations.

I will continue working on changing the things I don't like, but whether you like it or not, AND whether you like the members of the BOD or not, we all HAVE TO work with them to advance the Club.

Mike

Keith and I were NOT treated with respect by 1 member of the current regime, and this was done mostly by PM and actual impactful decisions. This influences my viewpoint. The current President sought to have the BCA Attorney contact me. Brian WAS ousted in a confusing, unexplained vote at his home state National meet. These are FACTS, not grassy knowl conspiracies.

I will NOT be divisive if elected to the BOD. In fact, it has more to do with voting and transparency. I guarantee I will vote a certain way. We can't always overcome politics, but we can try and be accountable. Those who KNOW me know I am not an angry guy looking to stir things up. Just want things run by the GOLDEN RULE.

BJM,

Until you actually run a meet and are charged with making all the decisions, you opinion is worthless because all you do is make the BCA look bad in front of everyone with your constant theorizing and stirring the pot.

Bill

This is a volunteer organization that should be allowed to be the best it can be with the people that step forward. Here we have Mike, who has years of experience, decide that driven class cars be seperated from the trailer queens. At one time, YOU were new to the administrative tasks assigned to you and you based your work on your experience and collective knowledge and it was more then adequate.

No pot stirring Bill. 2 of the 3 posts I have in the above flare up of parking have nothing to do with pot stirring.

Mike

I emailed all the BOD after the coup and asked them how they voted. Of the 9 members on the BOD, I received 2 responses. One of the BOD members commented that he wasn't sure if he could tell me how he voted, so he wouldn't say. 7 members did not email me back. Granted, they probably felt I was a loose cannon, but transparency is the reason I asked.

Through the period of the 2012 National Meet I was not active in the politics of the club. I was enjoying my summer and working hard. Many people in the club contacted me to advise me of the vote and it's outcome. Many people urged me to be a voice. Subsequent comments printed in the Bugle (Letters to the Editor) and comments made by others on this forum have supported that what happened in NC was unseemly and not supportive of a 'fun' hobby based group. Therefore, I am not sure why I would be singled out by Bill S individually as the problem.

Hi bryan.While I do agree. I must say to all, no matter how you feel about the board or the parking or any member Please do not hesitate to volunteer to HELP IN any way you can. Remmembering this is a B C A event that members work very hard for us to have a great buick time. Please do not think I am speaking about anybody in particular just have a good time.

have a great Buick day

Frank

I am done commenting on this thread as its not good for any of us.

Thank you

Bill

I agree. I will let my comments stand and move on.

Thank you.

No problem with a little political mud slinging but please everyone, try and make sure there is no BS stirred in with it.

And BTW Jake, I haven't mailed my ballot yet. And the black Roadmaster is still playing it's role as barnyard art. ;)post-31987-143141907058_thumb.jpg

That sure cleaned up well. I believe that car is one of the best 50's American cars out there because it's all black. Cadillac collectors (and maybe Lincoln) would be all over an all black 54 Coupe deVille.

Howdy!

Has anybody inquired with those other classes, or ANY of the classes' participants if THEY would like for the 400 Point cars to be parked separately or "all inclusively, by class"? We all know that an "over-restored" car, of any class, sitting next to a "survivor" (even if it's been very-nicely archived) is going to make ONE of them look substandard (in whatever area), and I suspect moreso for the Driven Class being in that mix, too. To me, the "all inclusiveness" is more about ALL of these different groups being on the same show field at the same time, not in distant or un-related show fields . . . rather than being parked in the same row next to each other. Yes, there ARE many considerations in such a decision of where to park the entered show participants, other than just personal orientations of one or a few. Be THAT as it may . . . Personally, to me, this is a MINOR point and nothing more, although I know that others might feel more strongly about it. KEY THING is to make the car show "A Better Show" for the spectators and participants, both. In so doing, there might well be some who feel they've been slighted by where they are requested to park their vehicles, with respect to other similar model vehicles (not considering condition of the vehicles) in the show.

(Tending to side with The Old-Guy a little here . . .) To me, these annual show events should be MORE about glorifying the Buick vehicles we cherish and are very enthusiastic about . . . not so much about who might receive what recognition award (trophy) each year. In so doing (the glorification aspect of things), we park Buicks of certain orientations (stock/restored, original/archival, driven, etc.) in physically different locations from others of their specific model years, so be it.

An example of "all inclusive" parking. One year, I was involved in a few car shows at different locations and orientations (one multi-make show and another single-manufacturer show). In one show, I had all of the "Custom" vehicles in one area . . . cars and trucks. I figured that to get to that level of execution, it took the same amounts of money and stuff to get there, so let them all show together. I caught significant "heat" from a custom truck owner who didn't like showing his custom truck against a custom car. In his orientation, a "truck" was a "TRUCK" and shouldn't compete against a custom CAR for a trophy . . . and he would not consider it any other way -- period. In the single-manufacturer show, we had one truck class. So that put the few '79 restored LRTs in the same class with new trucks. Again, for the price of the restoration a new truck could have been purchased. EACH owner was equally proud of what they'd done. We all know that a current model year vehicle is not "perfect", too, but many perceive them to be. The LRT owners got mad and threatened to not return, but the new truck owners were club members and DID return each year afterward. I did split the truck classes for later shows . . . as I could understand the reasoning of the LRT owner. But still, EACH person spent about $20K, just did it differntly.

Additionally, the 400 Point display is supposed to be a more prestigious place to be. It recognizes a certain level of achievement, not that such achievements are any less than keeping a "new car new" for 35+ years is an achievement. Similarly, I'd consider an Archival Class to be a similarly prestigious place to be, for different reasons. Especially considering that the archival and driven class vehicles are still typically seen by the general public, reasonably often, rather than otherwise. Just as the Modified class would be a prestigious class to be for "modified" Buicks. Again, you spend a certain amount of time and money, in a different manner and orientation, than others in other classes did. ALL glorifying the products that are BUICK at the same time!

Professionally, knowing and having observed some of the "egoes" of the various owners of cars of different orientations, over the years, it might be a good idea to survey THEM on how they would best like the show field to be arranged. Take THEIR recommendations and see how things go for five years, them re-survey/re-evaluate the whole system and proceed from there. THIS puts the ultimate decision in the hands of those who are the ultimate "customers" . . . those who pay to be there, in the show . . . rather than otherwise. The KEY thing is to keep a "pulse watch" on how things go each year, by active observations of the dynamics of the change, to figure in to what might need to be done in following years. If it works, fine. If it doesn't, figure out why and proceed from there . . . either way.

AS for voting in the BCA BOD election, EVERYBODY needs to do that -- period. Personally, I feel we need a BOD that's generally responsive to the membership, doing things "in the open" rather than "hidden in emails" (even if the emails are posted on the BCA website, somewhere that has to be "found"). I know that operating "by email" is more cost-effective and can be quicker to do, BUT when such decisions are made without input from the membership (when needed), it can certainly have the appearance of "hidden actions" rather than what the membership could observe when the BOD meetings were held quarterly, in an open meeting, hosted by various BCA chapters across the country. When chapter directors had enough advance notice of each meeting's Agenda that we could talk to our chapter members about items of importance to THEM and th BCA . . . with enough lead time for this input to be received by the BOD for consideration, BEFORE their formal vote on the matter.

Certainly, we MUSt put a certain amount of trust in the BOD we elect! Trust to make good decisions for the BCA, even some which might be termed "Business Decisions" which relate more to the health of the BCA rather than otherwise. I feel we have some very capable contractors in the BCA Office Managers and the Editor of THE BUGLE . . . which must be fairly-compensated for their work and efforts in what they do for the BCA organization. Still, though, a certain level of conservatism needs to be maintained, just as it must be in our own personal financial situations. With those orientations, there will be "investments" and there will be "expenses" involved. "Expenses" in day-to-day, year-to-year items and "investments" in future growth and membership maintenance. "Investments" might seem to be a little more expensive, but not specifically in the "day-to-day" or "year-to-year" orientation. Good "investments" (as in the quality of the organization's magazine publication! . . . and quality of member services) would need to be maintained as best they can, as the other recurring "day-to-day" items might come under stronger scrutiny as the BCA's financial fortunes are considered.

There can be some merit in favoring Forum Members/Participants over other candidates, but does such an orientation also imply that non-Forum participants (or observers, that we might not know of) are not caring about the BCA as much as active Forum participants do? This might be a more difficult judgement call to make as one way might be "non-isolated" as the other might be "isolated" from various things regarding the BCA. Or could it be that those we don't see regularly just don't place the same emphasis on online forums that we might . . . a better way to spend their time? Who knows? Still, though, it's a proven fact that people do business with people they know/trust or come to know/trust rather than "others". Be that as it may . . . YOUR judgment call.

I would hope, personally, that much of the "controversy" in the BCA (related to various things) would settle down, but it seems to be cyclical in nature, by observation. Controversy can be a good thing, though, as it can tend to get more people involved in seeing how things are being done AND give them a reason to become more actively-involved in things. End result should be, regardless of whomever might be elected . . . should be that EVERYBODY works for the betterment of the BCA as an organization -- period. NO egoes, just everybody working together as a group -- period. Not everybody might agree on everything, or even go out and hang around each other, or share meals every so often, but PROFESSIONALISM would dictate that all work together for the greater good of the organization rather than otherwise.

It's great that we have so many candidates this time! Unfortunately, this can also mean that we might not be able to vote for all of "the better ones" this time. Make your choices carefully and after deliberation. THEN VOTE!! The latest ballots should have the most accurate mailing addresses on them.

Regards,

Willis Bell 20811

Interesting thoughts Willis.

On the show field front, one thing comes to mind...a wise person said something about pleasing all the people...and that not happening. Not everyone will be pleased. However, a simple solution may be that if we have to segregate vehicles due to logistics of the size of show versus size of show field, perhaps we need to rotate around the classes that are segregated. Typically, we segregate the Driven and Archival classes. When that happens, people may miss seeing some amazing Buicks if they don't realize where they are (that shouldn't be an excuse IMO). However, if perhaps the '50s and '60s classes (L & M?) were separated one year, since everyone expects them, they would look for them, giving the opportunity for Modifieds, Driven, and Archival to be part of the main show field.

The logistics of getting information to the membership (has to be via the Bugle, so ultimately takes months) implies that we need to have some trust in our BoD in the first place anyway. The ultimate challenge is that we all have different orientations. What would likely happen if everyone on the BoD had a leaning toward Modified Buicks? The club would then take a leaning that way regardless of whether or not that was the will of the membership. From that perspective, having some balance on the BoD is important (and I feel it is important having someone like Keith on the BoD as an advocate of BDE and Buicks Our Way - both significant portions of the BCA).

Time for brunch, so I'd best stop typing....