Enjoying the Hobby Vicariousky Through YOUR Car

Guest BJM

I am 49 years old and have owned close to 200 cars in the last 35 years in the hobby. I am one of those guys that is a generalist with appreciation for most makes. My library includes books from Buicks, GM, Packard through Jaguar and Porsche. I have some money when my interests change and I sell project cars or non running cars.

It occurred to me that it is time to stop the madness, restore what I have to a high level and enjoy the other aspect of the hobby. That would be attending car shows, club functions and tours. I have never entered a car in a show, never been on a tour nor taken a marque car to a club event. (I have attended shows with a modern car)

Most of my cars are pedestrian in the grand scheme of things but I like what I have. 2 are on ebay now because I have too many and need to raise money for the restoration of the other 6. I have my eye on one more car, but would sell a restored car in the future to keep the collection at 6.

With that background, I had a thought the other day that probably others are in the same boat. We all have budgets of time and money and we aren't getting any younger. Many of the cars I see in books, or in Antique Automobile or other magazines I immediately want to buy my own example of that car. This is the fundemental issue behind my 200 cars owned. I have owned cars that were "must have." LIke Wayne Carini (sp) of Chasing Classic Cars - for me it has often been "about the chase."

Once I get the car, presumed rare when the chase was on - I may lose interest and another car intrigues me from a magazine feature and away I go. It's usually a function of room that causes me to sell a car for another car.

So, I was thinking about the culture of the old car hobby and I was wondering if others in the AACA and marque clubs would be open to allowing me to sit in their cars, hear the motors running and being a passenger in a short ride of their vehicles for the purpose of experiencing a wider enjoyment of the old car hobby by enjoying the hobby vicariously through your car.

This seems at 1st thought outlandish and selfish. To expect others in the hobby to welcome a fellow old car nut to a ride. It occurs to me that most of the enjoyment of the hobby lies in tours and driving our cars. To get the visceral feel of the cars. One can visit a number of museums, attend car shows all summer long and visually see well over 1000 car a season.

BUT, it's a whole different ball game to sit in the back seat of a 30's Packard while one takes a short ride to get an entirely different sensation that might mitigate that desire to own every car made. Does that make sense? It's kind of a bucket list deal. We can't own everything we want, unless your name is Jay Leno or Ralph Lauren, so how cool would it be if we could exchange rides in our cars.

Now, it occurs to me that within chapters and regions there are friendships made where this might occur often, within tight circles of friends. But what about an AACA member that is otherwise a stranger? If I approached you at a show or solicited a ride through this forum would you say "sure" with hesitation? Or welcome a short ride and the experience that conveys.

Do you think the same way I do where you wish you could experience a wider swath of the hobby by riding in cars or experiencing them in driving?

I live in central Iowa and would gladly come to you if I could enjoy a ride in your hobby cars. Likewise, if anyone is passing my way, you are welcome to stop in and we can drive one of my cars that run and drive. I presently only have 3 of 8 that run and drive, but anyone is welcome, in season, to enjoy the hobby through my cars if it adds to your enjoyment of the hobby as it would mine.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

I think that you will find that the average AACA Member would be happy to have you take a ride with them in their collector cars. You can register as a "hitchhiker" on an AACA tour and there are folks who would be happy to have you ride with them. You can even ride in different cars on different days, meeting a lot of folks and enjoying different cars.

Funny True story for you...

I was on the way to the showfield in my 1929 Ford Model A Phaeton at the 2008 Grand National Meet in Melbourne Florida. I was going for Senior Grand National, and as such, was probably just a little bit paranoid about having every speck of dust cleaned from my car. A short distance from the trailer parking, I saw an older gentleman on the side of the road. He stuck his thumb out like a hitchhiker. I was a little hesitant, due to my paranoia about any potential for getting dirt in the car before I got to the showfield, but I stopped. The old fellow asked for a ride to the showfield. I told him to hop on in. It turned out that it was West Peterson's father. We had a nice chat on the ride to the showfield. At that time, I had never met West in person at that time. He and I were supposed to meet sometime in Melbourne. His dad called him up on his cellphone and told him to meet us in Class 21A. I got to share the experience with my new friend, and got to meet West without having to look for him. Despite my initial hesitation, I enjoyed having my hitchiker with me.

If you ever make it to the Wilmington NC area, or to a tour that I am participating in, I will be happy to give you a ride.

We do look for folks to ride with us when we tour, and have done so for better than 40 years.

We get a chance to meet other hobbiests, and to spend some time with them. Meeting other tourists at a coffee break, or sharing a meal is great, but when somebody rides with you all day, or even just a part of a day, you not only get to know them better, you also get to know much more of their feelings and concers for the hobby.

We are all Ambassadors for the hobby, and this is one more great way to actually do it.

On the most recent GLIDDEN TOUR, this past October in Brenham, Texas, we had "backseat passengers" every day of the 5-day tour, and enjoyed the heck out of it!

post-54863-14314177734_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143141777353_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

I love to ride in other folk's old cars and drive them whenever offered — ocassionally will even respectfully ask if I might have a go.

By the same token, it gives me great pleasure to offer other, seemingly competent and sensible people, some wheel time in my cars... nice for me to have a break during long drives and and I find that riding in one's own car gives a different and interesting perspective than driving.

Now if I could just learn how to keep the camera horizontal as I ride along...

post-59237-143141777425_thumb.jpg

post-59237-143141777429_thumb.jpg

post-59237-143141777433_thumb.jpg

post-59237-143141777436_thumb.jpg

post-59237-14314177744_thumb.jpg

post-59237-143141777443_thumb.jpg

post-59237-143141777446_thumb.jpg

post-59237-14314177745_thumb.jpg

post-59237-143141777453_thumb.jpg

Yes, Always glad to give rides in my 15 Buick, or other road worthy cars in my collection. Have also shared my vintage tractor collection and have shown others how to drive them. I would even let a respondsable person drive my 82 Buick Riv. Do not ask to drive the 1915 Buick though as if you are not atuned to an early car with a cone clutch, you could break it very easily. Very early cars have their brittle points. Uncommon ones are expensive, and very time consumming to replace parts on. I would have to know you for years, and also be confident that you could handle the car without raming it in and out of gear, or popping the clutch while over reving the engine. Dandy Dave!

We have done both given and taken rides, in fact , we were one of Mart and Dale's passengers in TX. (Hang on with Marty in that '37 Buick, he drives it!!) Only kidding Marty- it was a great day! We have enjoyed both aspects of this and I actively do both. My Model A practically wore a groove around the local Wmart lot from all the kids I gave rides too upon leaving the store. On the TX Glidden we flew in and rode every day with a different car- met great people, rode in some beautiful cars and made many friends/memories. I'll never own a '25 White Yellowstone tour bus but will not forget bouncing all day in the very back seat behind the rear axle. What fun and what great people to drive the tour everyday waiting to fill the bus!

We are hosting a national tour in the spring for another club where we are arranging rides for others who are coming sans cars, may loan the Roths a car to use and will fill our backseat as needed. SHARING is absolutely a basic tenet of the hobby for us. I've finally come to admit I can't own them all........

Last week I was at the HCCA National Convention and Tour in Santa Maria, California. I rode in the back (and occasionally front) seat of a different pre-1916 car every day. Living in New Jersey, there was no way I was going to trailer a car all the way to the west coast (and back) in the dead of winter. But touring season will start in the east in another couple of months, and many of us easterners will offer space to western members. I give lots of rides, and occasional lessons, to neighbors and casual friends all the time. Last July, after the HCCA National Tour in Colorado (to which I had trailered my 1913 Ford), my wife and I spent a week at a dude ranch with family. I probably gave 50 rides in the T and taught 12 people to drive it, including a Conejos County deputy sheriff. They're no fun if you don't drive 'em, and it's no fun to drive 'em if you don't share 'em.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

One thing about a Model T Ford is they are tested tough, And if something gives up, parts are not that hard to get except on the very early ones with a riveted rear end and a few other pieces. I have also given lessons on T's. Ford A's are also a very good car for an entry level novice to learn on. I have repaired and driven plenty of them and parts are also easy to get for a Driver level car. Dandy Dave!

I am not at all surprised by the responses. One trait all old car folk possess is the joy of sharing their enthusiasm for their rides.

Last summer I had a Brit old car guy overnight as a house guest. One of the memories he took home with him was the experience of driving a Cadillac Allante.

I'm always open to give rides in my cars here or where ever I am with them. For people that have an interest in Crosleys lots of rides are given at the Crosley Nationals in Wauseon Ohio in July every year if anyone ever wanted to try one out. Just about every model made shows up and most owners would love to give a ride to a potential convert.

Fantastic responses. Just looking at the cars we own in our footers, this would give a person a much wider appreciation of the hobby. I do believe I would still prefer to be a passenger because I would be too nervous driving and not pay attention to the experience of the ride as much.

I do not collect old cars but I love them. I do collect diecast models and all types of literature and attend several shows each year taking photos. Two things really stand out in my memory. The friend that wanted me to take photos of his Model T Fords and then let me drive his '15 touring car and praised me for doing well doing so. In fact, after I drove it once, he insisted I take my children for a ride in it. The other was being at the AACA show at Winchester VA a few years and Reggie Nash took me and my teenage cousin for a ride in his 1909 Rambler. You never forget people who are so nice to you. That said, at the top of my bucket list (and I am 73 years old) is a ride in a Packard, any Packard is someone would be so nice.

Edited by john2dameron
added sentence (see edit history)