Headliner Kit

WillBilly53

Does anybody have some sources for complete headliner kits? Looking for one for my '53 Super. I found these guys: Auto Carpet for Car, Truck, Van - Stock Interiors

Has anybody dealt with them? Or do most just buy material from SMS and make their own?

SMS made the headliner for my 56 Chrysler. I understand they bought a ton of patterns from another shop getting out of the business. They did a good job but getting it installed wrinkle free was a SOB job I wouldn't want to do again..........................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Save yourself some grief. If your original headliner is intact, take it to a good trim shop to duplicate and install. Errors in the pre-sewn products will drive you crazy...2 hours of working overhead is not the time to find out that some of the stitching is off.

On the other hand everyone should install a headliner...once.

Willie

Thanks Willie,

Unfortunately the original headliner was completely destroyed and not intact. I still have the bows though. Everywhere I've researched says that the headliner is indeed quite a bear to install. Looks like I don't really have a choice but to spend days trying to sew my own or roll the dice and take a chance on a pre-sewn one and spend hours trying to install it correctly. Either way will be the next chapter in my growing book of appreciation for the craftsmanship and techniques that went into these beautiful machines. :)

Unless you are very experianced with a proper machine I would reccomend against sewing your own. It's a miserable enough job without the added variable of a self sewn liner that may or may not be spot on. I can't comment on anyone elses headliner but the one SMS provided was excellant with lazer straight seams. That said, I spent half the first day trying to get the thing to just line up with the bows. I didn't have an original to compare it with either. I finally decided it had to be cut wrong.

Now anyone who has dealt with SMS knows their work is excellant but also knows their lead times are loooong and they can be a little bit prickly to deal with. I called them and they let me talk to the shop. After a few questions back and forth they agreed something wasn't correct. The next day UPS picked up the top for return. A few days later I got a phone call from the sew shop saying the front panel was sewn on backwards and a new liner would be cut, sewn, and in the mail by the next day.

Anyone can make a mistake, it's the correcting of it afterwards that makes all the difference..........................Bob

WillyBilly53, you might also check with Orignal Auto Interiors (www.originalauto.com). Thats where I purchased mine. Was sewn correctly and fit very well. I have used them for original material as well. A little quicker than the west coast guys in delivery. IMHO. And Willy is right, everybody should install a headliner - once. :D

much appreciated Jim. I contacted them and they gave me a quote of $295 which sounds reasonable. That Stock Interiors place I had originally mentioned has one for $159, but I can't find anybody that has used them so I'm a little leery about the price to quality ratio. I really prefer going on recommendations since this is my first classic car fix up so thanks for putting me in the right direction. I still need to contact SMS before I make my final decision. Thanks everybody!

This is the company I used. Same as Jim. They were very responsive to my emails. Had the liner made and shipped as planned. Quality of material and sewing is excellent IMO. There was material sent to cover the visors and any pillars that might have liner material as originally shipped from the factory.

Original Auto Interiors Inc.*|* Headliners

This is the product after installation but before final nip/tuck and steam applied for any wrinkles. I never did steam it. After two weeks it was wrinkle free.

post-83833-143141762789_thumb.jpg

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

Save yourself some grief. If your original headliner is intact, take it to a good trim shop to duplicate and install. Errors in the pre-sewn products will drive you crazy...2 hours of working overhead is not the time to find out that some of the stitching is off.

On the other hand everyone should install a headliner...once.

Willie

True on the stitching and true on installing one..once. My liner was stitched correctly. It is physically challenging to say the least. However, the new liners completely transform the interiors and well worth the effort.

Chris,

Glad to see that you were a satisfied customer as well. They did do a great job with mine, and installation, though a bugger, was fine. Their pricing was decent as well, as WillyBilly can attest on the quote for his. JUst my 2cents worth!

Well now I'm torn. I just got a quote from SMS. They said they can do the standard brush cotton for $239 or their "solar system" pattern that I like for $275. I'm leaning toward Original Auto Interiors even though their quote is a little higher, but can't decided. Should I just flip a coin?

Go with SMS at $239, that'll leave $56 for Fat Tire. To be consumed during installation which guarantees it will look great after or after, if it looks horrible, and you want just forget about it. Either way, count me in as an official holder upper. I promise I won't bomb on you like the hood install. All the leaves are up now. Almost...

Go with SMS at $239, that'll leave $56 for Fat Tire. To be consumed during installation which guarantees it will look great after or after, if it looks horrible, and you want just forget about it. Either way, count me in as an official holder upper. I promise I won't bomb on you like the hood install. All the leaves are up now. Almost...

Wait, so we're gonna consume $56 worth Fat Tire? Holy crap!

You didn't bomb on me man, but I'm hoping you'll be available for the back glass and windshield installation :) (I better get a KEG of Fat Tire on that day)

the only thing I ask is that you don't laugh at my paint job!

• 3 years later...
Guest biodegraded

Reviving this old thread with a question on headliner material choice.  Is it easier to install a vinyl or cloth headliner?  I have '53 Special hard top.  It's been modified so I'm not concerned with keeping the interior original.  Seats are black vinyl so I was thinking of going with the same for the headliner.  But after reading all the comments about how difficult installation is, I'd be willing to go with a cloth headliner if it's easier to install.

The local auto upholstery guy said it would cost $600 to install a presewn one that I provided (sourced online) and another $600 to install the windlace.  That seems like a lot to install a windlace.  Is the windlace required or can I go another route since I'm not concerned with keeping it original?

Thanks.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

image5.JPG

Did an SMS headliner in my 55 Roadmaster last year. PITA. I was a little PO'd that I couldn't get all the waves out. Then I cam across a 1955 Motor Trend  article on the 55 Lincoln and noticed I did a better job than Lincoln did! I think we sometimes get caught up in the "Pebble Beach Syndrome" and fail to realize that a lot of our cars came with factory issues. Anyway headliner was not a real fun job.

IMG_0517.JPG

Hershey16.jpeg

On February 14, 2013 at 8:04 AM, 60FlatTop said:

The web pages are nicely done and the articles and pictures look like their own. That's good stuff. I Googled the address to see the building and location. Did you? It is something I do to get a feel.

Bernie

… Feel da Bern …. :')

Paul….I was reading in Hemmings last month, and a guy was writing about having worked at GM way back in the day.  One of his jobs was installing cloth headliners.  He said he had a steam line tube that ran to his station and he used that to get it tight before cinching the last end of the section up.  So GM apparently used steam to tighten things up ….

Edited by buick man (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest biodegraded
17 hours ago, Ttotired said:

I havnt done up a 53, so I don't know exactly whats involved, but I would have thought 600 to do both would be more correct, ring around mate

Thanks, Ttotired.  I'll get some more quotes.

16 hours ago, Paul Falabella said:

Did an SMS headliner in my 55 Roadmaster last year. PITA. I was a little PO'd that I couldn't get all the waves out. Then I cam across a 1955 Motor Trend  article on the 55 Lincoln and noticed I did a better job than Lincoln did! I think we sometimes get caught up in the "Pebble Beach Syndrome" and fail to realize that a lot of our cars came with factory issues. Anyway headliner was not a real fun job.

Paul, I had read your previous posts on your 55 RM.  Glad to hear your perspective.  I'm not a perfectionist, so maybe I'd be satisfied with how a self-install turns out.  Any experience with cloth vs vinyl?  Which one is considered easier to install?

2 hours ago, buick5563 said:

Biodegraded, 

$1,200 is too much. Yes you need windlace for looks, but realistically I have cut bad lace out of cars with no ill effect. You do have to install windlace under the headliner, so if you can't do it now, it won't get done reasonably. 

Thanks for the info, 5563.  

7 hours ago, buick5563 said:

Biodegraded, 

$1,200 is too much. Yes you need windlace for looks, but realistically I have cut bad lace out of cars with no ill effect. You do have to install windlace under the headliner, so if you can't do it now, it won't get done reasonably. 

The windlace on my 55 is just below the headliner, so I think it could be done at a later date by just removing the reveal.

Yea $1200 is too much. I was quoted $500 installation(plus headliner) at Automat, That's NYC metro area pricing.

100_0691.JPG

• Like 1

Amen Bhigdog.  While I was working at a GM dealer in the 60's I watched the trimmers install many headliners.  Sure looked easy.  I have done two, one a 53 special  and one a 30 Pontiac.  Quite different.  I might consider doing a Fisher wood bodied one again but never a turret top.  I would change a torque tube seal, overhaul a Buick differential or change a clutch in a Buick but never another headliner.