1934 Dodge Full Body Off Restoration

Spend a few hours today having a go at fitting the instrument panel. When I started I thought I may have had to have done this before the choke and throttle cable went in but getting it on its side and between the cables and steering column I was able to gently push it in place and it fitted first go. Tightened the screws and removed the low adhesion tape and another job done ! Finally something that didn't have to be modified, bent, scraped or drilled out.

post-88284-0-22036000-1442441285_thumb.j

post-88284-0-20549500-1442441288_thumb.j

post-88284-0-50806500-1442441314_thumb.j

post-88284-0-47827900-1442441317_thumb.j

• Like 2

More progress,

Thought I'd tackle one of the rear tail lights today. As there wasn't any earth I made up a cable that I attached under the rear guard which is hidden. Soldered the wires and used heat shrink to protect the joins. Using the new screws mounted the housing and then reinserted a reflective lens that I modified from an outdoor spotlight previously. Overall happy with the result, so I might try the other side next.

Tomorrow, I'm off to an American Motoring Show at Flemington Racecourse ( where they hold the Melbourne Cup horse race ) and weather is suppose to be exceptional so looking forward to that.

Cheers

Ian

What models used this type of stand? Here is our 2 dr sedan with this set up. Took the drivers off for repair.

post-121135-0-73235500-1442464310_thumb.

John - Thankyou, I was rather impressed with the instrument panel......I got a milk crate and sat in the car looking at it for a while !

Dave - It seems that they used what ever stock they had of the stands. I've seen both closed bodies and convertibles with both bumper mounted stands and fender mounted stands. Maybe earlier models had one type and later models had the other. Originally I thought the luggage rack got in the way but I don't think that is the case either.

Ken - one more show this year......the Motorclassica......always look forward to that one !

John - Thankyou, I was rather impressed with the instrument panel......I got a milk crate and sat in the car looking at it for a while !

Dave - It seems that they used what ever stock they had of the stands. I've seen both closed bodies and convertibles with both bumper mounted stands and fender mounted stands. Maybe earlier models had one type and later models had the other. Originally I thought the luggage rack got in the way but I don't think that is the case either.

Ken - one more show this year......the Motorclassica......always look forward to that one !

Thanks IAN  Love to see your car. Plan on coming to your country when we get the chance in a couple of years. Great job you have done. Going to follow some of your post while working on this 34 2 dr sedan. 

Dave

Thanks Dave, it would be an honour to spend some time with you if you make it down under. I often go for a walk from my place ( less than a mile ) and there are kangaroos there.

A bit more work done. I tackled the other side rear tail light housing and the fit was better than the other side I did previously. I also wired up the dome light wire and instrument panel wire. Next I'll do the ignition switch etc, then I'll move on the the horn wiring. I may not install the actual horn trumpets until I get the car back from the upholsterer.

Cheers

Ian

post-88284-0-14262900-1442611247_thumb.j

post-88284-0-31214800-1442611277_thumb.j

post-88284-0-99857300-1442611305_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more progress. I instanned the ignition switch and have made up a few short connecting wires.

All I have to do now is fit the freewheeling cable assembly and thats all the knobs on the dash completed.

Where I installed the front window operating levers, the chrome chipped when I was peening the brass rod over. Looks like I'll have to remove them and redo both of them ( could only stuff up one could I !!!!! )

Cheers

Ian

post-88284-0-36536500-1443398957_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Did a bit of work on the wiring today. Finished making up a little control panel that bolts up under the dash. This houses starter switch, relay, fuel pump switch and flasher cam. Finally had the opportunity to test the rear indicator lights to see if they actually work......Its alive !!!!

Next I'll wire up the turn indicator switch and mount that.

post-88284-0-06971300-1444290424_thumb.j

post-88284-0-70555100-1444290446_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

More progress. Finished off the wiring for the Indicators and mounted the turn switch I've had for five or six years.

Also got the front bumper back from my body guy. ( again it was bent everywhere where I'm sure the previous owner used it to touch park ).

All the original mounting bolts etc are long gone so using a similar method to the rear bumper I found / made some mounting pieces.

The hole in one fender was quite large so I got a couple large soft grommets and using a scalpel widened the inside so it would go in the fender.

I then used a thick stainless steel washer, solid rubber spacer, stainless steel flange, bumper iron, cover backing plate and bolt in that order and bolted one side up.

Worked well so repeated the other side. Moment of truth....mock bolt up of the front bumper. It actually fitted perfectly with the gaps between the bottom of the fender and the top of the bumper almost exactly the same. Only issue was the bumper iron at each far end was back from the bumper about 1 1/2" so I'll have the heat and bend them back and get them repowder coated. Overall pleased with the result so I can now take the bumper bar to the plater.

Cheers

Ian

post-88284-0-61283000-1446500263_thumb.j

post-88284-0-31340000-1446500307_thumb.j

post-88284-0-10280800-1446500325_thumb.j

post-88284-0-18706900-1446500346_thumb.j

post-88284-0-54790400-1446500364_thumb.j

post-88284-0-07126400-1446500382_thumb.j

post-88284-0-08950700-1446500398_thumb.j

post-88284-0-80438800-1446500416_thumb.j

post-88284-0-33499500-1446500437_thumb.j

post-88284-0-88392200-1446500457_thumb.j

post-88284-0-95578500-1446500535_thumb.j

Tony, thanks mate....I'm still going !

Richard, Hope the pics help. If you need sizes of the grommet let me know.

Dropped into the body guy and we adjusted the bumper irons. Then it was off to the chrome platers and dropped the bumper off to him. On the way back dropped into the powdercoaters for them to redo the bumper irons.

While I was at the body guy I had a look at a 1934 Chrysler Roadster ( fairly rare ) and a 34 Dodge 2 door that was half way through being rodded. Next was a Lamborghini which had a front panel damage. When he repaired it and was sanding it back he came across an enormous amount of filler. Literally 1/2". He had the owner call in but just wanted it refilled......at least my Dodge has no filler !

Anyhow back to reality and a bit more on the Dodge.

post-88284-0-58949800-1446786265_thumb.j

post-88284-0-00967200-1446786303_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

Got excited the other day ( not unusual these days ! ). I received a phone call from my Plater guy and my front bumper bar was ready to be picked up.

Also received a phone call from the powdercoaters and the Bumperbar irons were also ready.

Now hopefully over the coming week I'll be able to install it and see how she looks with a bit more bling.

Cheers

Ian

post-88284-0-29419400-1448138362_thumb.j

post-88284-0-90820900-1448138377_thumb.j

Ian I have been following your posts with great interest and find inspiration in your efforts and results.

Your postings are always read and while I have a 1934 Plymouth PE sedan I find there are a great many similarities with the 34 Dodge.

I am not doing a full scale restoration but constantly strive to improve the originality and functioning of my car.

Keep up the good work and know that there are likely a lot of kindred souls like me following your updates

Stephen

Toronto, Ontario

Canada

Hi Stephen,

Thankyou for the kind remarks. I'm just sorry it's taking so long as I am getting a little anxious to drive the car. I guess not have a complete car to start with I'm improvising in some areas but still trying to maintain the original look of the 34. I have a lot a friends at home that follow my progress and often check on me to see where I'm at........I've promised them I'll take them for a drive when she's finished.

Work also gets in the way as I'm basically back working full time so I try and squeeze as much time in the garage as possible. I was hoping to get the bumper bar fitted this weekend but didn't get time so instead I painted a few small parts ready for when it gets fitted up.

I'll keep posting pics as I believe this forms a good reference point for others down the track and I too get lots of ideas from other posts on the great forum.

Cheers

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

G'day all,

After a lot of mucking around I finally got a chance to do a temporary set up of the bumper bar and irons for the front.

Using all the stuff in my previous post I attached the irons. Has to use a few washers as spacers and bolted them up.

Moment of truth.....the front bumperbar. I felt the angle of the front bumper was turned up a bit so I grinded the ends of the flanges I had made with a slight angle.

this angles the irons down a bit as well as the bumper bar. After a bit of adjustment the bolts went in so off to a good start.

As I'm putting indicators on the car my daughter's boyfriend is making up a couple of brackets to hold them in place and then I'll be able to tighten and align everything up.

Cheers

Ian

post-88284-0-58011400-1449779189_thumb.j

post-88284-0-29991100-1449779231_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

Well finally been able to do some work on the Dodge. After our summer has passed and my daughter has had her 18th Birthday and party and she got her licence I can get back to work on the Dodge.

A number of posts ago I may have mentioned my neighbour got a skip in and basically cleaned out his garage.

While throwing a few things in there myself I noticed something shinny. Pulled it out and it was a new indicator light what looked like was off a motorcycle. Jumped in the skip to see if I could find the other one.

Found it !

So years later ( yesterday ) I made up a few brackets and drilled the holes to support the indicator lights. Looking closely at them they have "Harley Davidson" on them so that was a real find.

Connected the wiring and soldered the joints and used heat shrink to cover the joins.

I think they look ok and will match the front headlights.

Cheers

Ian

CIMG0972.JPG

CIMG0970.JPG

CIMG0971.JPG

CIMG0962.JPG

CIMG0965.JPG

CIMG0967.JPG

CIMG0973.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Richard but mate....yours is sensational.

I did actually write some thing along with the pictures but it didn't come out for some reason....maybe I'm not use to the new format.

Anyhow, yesterday I tackled the wiring for the horns. Soldered all the terminal ends and heat shrunk them to protect them. Had to use new screws to hold the base plate and workings together as the original ones I had to grind a few off.

Tightened everything up and installed the dome covers. I won't install the horn trumpets until the upholstery is done as horns, tail light lenses etc are easily broken. Another box empty !

Woke up in the morning and was greeted by a few balloons taking off ( the leave from a reserve not far from us )

• 5 months later...

Well finally been able to get back to doing some work on the Dodge.

Bought an adaptor plug that goes into the side of the block that the temperature gauge sensor goes in and then installed the sensor.

Made up a wire run for the Oil Pressure Gauge out of a coat hanger. Got it to sit properly and the black part will be the flexible hose.

I'll get this made up out of copper ( 3/16" I think ) and then I'll post a few shots.

Still working on the front windows and the broken rear wind out window.

Now I'm in for the long haul until she's finished.

Cheers

Ian

IMAG2932.jpg

IMAG2931.jpg

IMAG2933.jpg

IMAG2903.jpg

IMAG2892.jpg