1934 Dodge Full Body Off Restoration

Here is a neat trick if not everyone has not figured it out yet, before you begin, and when your car is still in one piece, I take a small drill bit (1/8") drill holes in out of sight places to aid in the re-lining up of panels, fender,ect, then when it comes time to put your restoration back together line up these holes by means of (1/8" drill bits or 1/8 piece of steel shaft ) and bolt up saves time and trial, fitting everything back in place as original,,,but I think most have use this method in one way or another ..

Hey all,

Cleaned up the ashtray supporting bracket and spring. Also buffed up the cowl vent opening handle and when I gently tapped in the supporting pins it cracked across base. This must have been the most gentle tapping I've ever done on anything. Looking back there was a line in the chrome work that the previous owner had done so may have been a flaw in the metal. Any suggestions ?

Cheers

Ian

Quick question Ian, how did you slide the ash tray holder mech. off the support bracket?//

hi Steve,

This took me a while to figure out. in the first photo 34dodger sent you you'll see a screw under the dash. there is suppose to be two of these but remove these screws. the support bracket isn't welded to the dash so you can flex the dash a little.......NOT TOO MUCH. With gentle maneuvering you can slide the lower part of the ashtray mechanism around the support bracket while gently pulling the dash towards you. Take your time as you don't want to bend the dash out of shape. the ashtray mech will pull towards you and go up and the support bracket

What look off on your are the blue beads hanging down.....lol

hi Steve,

This took me a while to figure out. in the first photo 34dodger sent you you'll see a screw under the dash. there is suppose to be two of these but remove these screws. the support bracket isn't welded to the dash so you can flex the dash a little.......NOT TOO MUCH. With gentle maneuvering you can slide the lower part of the ashtray mechanism around the support bracket while gently pulling the dash towards you. Take your time as you don't want to bend the dash out of shape. the ashtray mech will pull towards you and go up and the support bracket

That's the exact step I was taking but did not want to bend the dash,( some times I don't know my own strength )...Ha.

but if thats the way, I'll give it another "easy does it" you laugh at my beads,,, they were in the car at purchase, I didn't know they were there....but after a good look over, they are worth a very bucks....so I decided to leave them there until maybe some day the seller calls me looking for his wife's expensive bracelet....hahaha,,,, at this rate I may have to hock them for cash.....

"stay busy it keeps us out of trouble"

hi Steve,

try it but decided to drill out small rivets and remove that way, found some small brass concaved,washers, pictured.....that fit inbetween the 2 pieces...

post-70464-143142424956_thumb.jpg

It would also make putting them back together a little easier,,,

Who was looking for the mounting of the ignition switch? I think they have a small bracket on the back with a tab and hole that mount to the bolt in one of my pictures (above) this is how I found out the wrong ignition switch is in mine, you can see the bolt in the photo,,,same as my 33 plymouth had....

It would also make putting them back together a little easier,,,

Who was looking for the mounting of the ignition switch? I think they have a small bracket on the back with a tab and hole that mount to the bolt in one of my pictures (above) this is how I found out the wrong ignition switch is in mine, you can see the bolt in the photo,,,same as my 33 plymouth had....

the bracket attaches behind dash on blind bolts as in photo 1 above..

post-70464-143142429736_thumb.jpg

post-70464-143142429738_thumb.jpg

Hey everyone,

Been a long few weeks.

Cut down the little screws that hold the horn mechanism in place to the base plate. A friend at work is working on one that isn't working.

Spend a few hours tapping the rear brake light housings back into some sort of recognisable shape.

Started on the front floor pans. One timber that I'm coating in that black goo I used previously and the other was powdercoated years ago and still looks great.

Finished stripping down the two front window frames ( not a highly enjoyable job ) and ended up with a tub full of parts ( and lots of photos along the way !!! )

Then an important milestone. I got the bonnets back on the car.

First the hinge I put a bit of LMM grease in it as this is like a thick paste and wont melt in hot sun and also wont compress down.

As the bonnet hinge was new it needed a bit of padding just in case.

Stood them up first then slid the hinge down both sides at once.

Lay the bonnet down then I got my brother to help me lift into place after I placed the lower parts of the hold down clamps on first.

Once in place we were able to lift each side while still supporting it and put the screws back.

Clearances looked really good after only minor adjustment with the radiator support bars.

Really happy with the result.

Cheers

Ian

post-44589-143142440781_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142440783_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142440786_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142440789_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142440791_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142440793_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142440795_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142440797_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142440799_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142440802_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142440804_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142440806_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142440808_thumb.jpg

post-44589-14314244081_thumb.jpg

Quick question.

The vertical bonnet side panel that has the two hold down fittings on each one. There are two fittings ( one is slightly larger than the other ) that the spring loaded clamp locks onto.

Does the larger one go on the rear of the panel ( near the front door ) and the smaller one towards the front or visa versa. I assume the larger one goes on the rear of the panel but you know what happens when you assume !!!

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Scott,

Now see....there ya go, I would have put the large one on the rear and the smaller one on the front.

A pic would be great.

I'm finding odd little differences all the time and as I didn't pull them off the car I have to ask to get them correct.

Many thanks

Ian

Here a a couple of photos, 34 PE Sedan hood. Checked my 34 PE convertible and it is the same. I think the front one is bigger because it mounts higher up on the hood panel than the rear one, which is right next to the bead on the edge. By the way, keep up the great work on your Dodge, it is beautiful!

post-89602-143142441844_thumb.jpg

post-89602-143142441816_thumb.jpg

Here a a couple of photos, 34 PE Sedan hood. Checked my 34 PE convertible and it is the same. I think the front one is bigger because it mounts higher up on the hood panel than the rear one, which is right next to the bead on the edge. By the way, keep up the great work on your Dodge, it is beautiful!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]240300[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]240301[/ATTACH]

Any more pictures? really like the color,

Hey all,

Continued on today and dismantles the sun visors and all its components. I'll get all the gunge off them and hand sand each piece and then replated.

I also put some shots of my damaged Cowl Vent handle and had metal fatigue. I had 2 little plates made up the shape I needed and when together should give it the strength it needs so pretty happy with the result.

Cheers

Ian

post-44589-143142447414_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142447417_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142447419_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142447421_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142447424_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142447426_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142447428_thumb.jpg

post-44589-14314244743_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142447432_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142447434_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah, also ran the speedo cable I had made 12 years ago....Fitted perfectly and the grease in it hasn't budged !!!

I notice your pedals are up and down as mine are side to side, is this due to exports , being right hand drive cars??? just wondering,

A couple of questions / requests some of you guys may be able to help me with :

1/ The metal plate that sits on the lower cowl near the running board ( ive posted a pic ). Does anyone have a good closeup shot of this as I want to get mine restored.

2/ The bar under the front seat that operates the seat sliding mechanism ( pic attached )...is this suppose to have the bends in it or is it dead straight ?

Just little things but still important.

Took all the garnish moulds to the blaster today and once done and coated with an acrylic primer, they'll be ready for the woodgraining effect.

Cheers

Ian

Here's a close up hope it helps..........

post-70464-143142449005_thumb.jpg

Hey all,

Fitted the painted grill to the front vent and picked up the painted spare wheel covers. The open part at the bottom of the pieces has two screw holes in each side. Does anyone know what the holes are for or what is missing ?

Cheers

Ian

Ian just dawned on me a nice fit for those holes could be the glove box bumpers they sell reproduction, think steel has them nice small round bumpers push in's, once in they stay in....36 dodge glove box calls for them if you get a chance check them out,,,,nice easy fix...

Ian just dawned on me a nice fit for those holes could be the glove box bumpers they sell reproduction, think steel has them nice small round bumpers push in's, once in they stay in....36 dodge glove box calls for them if you get a chance check them out,,,,nice easy fix...

link Andy bernbaum, has the look at hood bumpers part 157 , interior rubber http://www.oldmoparts.com/parts-interior-rubber.aspx

Hey,

Never thought of the glove box stoppers for the spare wheel surrounds. I'll check out the hole size. I had some good originals for the glove box.

Thanks for the pic of the plate. When new do you think the low sections were black paint ?

yes, looks to be the "safty logo" as well as the machining (hash marks ) were black paint to stand out, good way to do this is to paint all black and then flat sand so the higher portions clean up, yet the paint lowers stay black.

Edited by knobless
more info. (see edit history)

I checked that parts book and there are 2 brake / clutch pedals. One listed as Clutch Pedal and One listed as Clutch Pedal ( R.H.D. only ) so maybe the RHD ones were length ways and the LHD ones were horizontal. Any other 34 owners have vertical pedal pads ??