1954 Skylark "Barn Find"

Guest jt54skylark

Guest jt54skylark

I am a first time poster on this website, but thought I would share the incredible "barn find" my father and myself stumbled upon last week. The story begins with the sale of a Ford Mustang Cobra we had owned for quite a few years. The new owner of the car noticed my fathers E body mopar collection in the garage and mentioned that his late father was an avid car collector and his step mother was looking to sell off his collection. He mentioned that most of the cars were from the 40's to 60's and warned us that they had all been sitting since the late 60's when his father lost interest. Intrigued by the story, my dad set up a time to come view the vehicles.

Long story short, most of the cars were in total disrepair from being improperly stored. IE a Hudson Hollywood that was rumored to be parked in perfect condition rotted out from being parked on gravel. Not interested in any of these cars, the seller mentioned two other cars that his father was very keen of stored in a garage. One of these vehicles inside the garage just happened to be this black '54 buick skylark convertible. The seller had many interested parties, but one potential buyer had gone so far as to disable the vehicle so no others would want to purchase. After a few hours of tinkering and a cap of gas in the carb she ran. We fired it up for all of 3 seconds and immediately shut it off to avoid any damages. Gotta love 50's cars, it has been parked since 1956 with 26,000 miles and still ran after 56 years of sitting. An undisclosed amount of money was paid for the vehicle and it was immediately transported home under lock and key. The old lady was even so kind as to give us the original title from 1954. Here are the pictures from when we got it home. The car will be for sale soon, as we only bought it to preserve such a rare car from falling into the wrong hands.

SDC10878.jpg

SDC10879.jpg

SDC10889.jpg

SDC10898.jpg

SDC10895.jpg

SDC10891.jpg

SDC10890.jpg

SDC10888.jpg

SDC10887.jpg

SDC10886.jpg

SDC10893.jpg

SDC10884.jpg

Guest jt54skylark
Jt54skylark, Man, that is a Great story and find. You and your Dad are very lucky!I see the car has Ohio plates.Is it currently in Ohio?Looks like someone will be getting an AWESOME CAR.Lamar are you there?

Thanks Rich! It is a great car, if I had the money i'd purchase it from him and just drive it. We are located in north east ohio just outside of a small town called Hartville. If it does sell I hope the new owner appreciated is as much as we do.

The '54 Skylark is quite possibility my ultimate dream Buick. What a spectacular find!

Here's a question for the '54 experts: Would the engine in a '54 Skylark have been painted red at the factory? If not, this suggests a rebuild or engine transplant along the way.

That is truly an amazing story. And the car is awesome. Looks to have been truly played with and enjoyed for the time it was on the road. I don't believe I have ever seen a SL with a continental kit. This car would be great to just leave as is, as a testament to that once upon a time, folks actually drove and played with their Skylarks. Congrats on the find and THANKS for sharing. We would really appreciate if you would also post your story over on The 1954 Buick Highway, there is a subforum just for Skylark owners.

Buick on....

Edited by MrEarl
stupid grammar (see edit history)

The '54 Skylark is quite possibility my ultimate dream Buick. What a spectacular find!

Here's a question for the '54 experts: Would the engine in a '54 Skylark have been painted red at the factory? If not, this suggests a rebuild or engine transplant along the way.

no red paint on Skylark engines. In fact I see a hint of Buick Green on the rocker covers. I suspect the po just thought it would look cool in red with the black. Me thinks the po really enjoyed this car. I suspect the odomometer has been around at least once.

I also don't know that I ever knew that the Skylarks VIN had a 7 prefix. I would have thought it would be 100. I'd love to know the engine number, it should end with a # 7. I'd also like to know if the underside of the front and rear fenders looks to be original and if so what color are they. There is alway much discussion related to this subject.

Guest jt54skylark
That is truly an amazing story. And the car is awesome. Looks to have been truly played with and enjoyed for the time it was on the road. I don't believe I have ever seen a SL with a continental kit. This car would be great to just leave as is, as a testament to that once upon a time, folks actually drove and played with their Skylarks. Congrats on the find and THANKS for sharing. We would really appreciate if you would also post your story over on The 1954 Buick Highway, there is a subforum just for Skylark owners.

Buick on....

Thanks so much. I registered over there but I am waiting for a moderator to open my account. The continental kit looks factory, or a darn good aftermarket one at that. Anybody able to rough estimate a value on this car? We truly love it, but our whole fleet is mopars and the money would be better spent finishing a few of the cuda's

Guest jt54skylark

In respect to the mileage, we have service records from this vehicle for the two years that it was driven as a daily driver. There is an oil change sticker in the door from 1958 and one from 1960 that are only 10 miles away from eachother. The old lady told us her husband had the entire fleet serviced at the local sohio gas station. The state of Ohio has signed an affidavit certifying the mileage and last date of registration.

JT, be VERY VERY careful when cranking this car up. 322's are really bad for sticking valves causing bent push rods when they have been stored for a long time. And even after they have been ran, they still can stick due to the old carbon/oil deposits gettig sticky. (See the testimonial picture in my signature) Considering your experience with other cars, I am sure you know some techniques to do to prevent this though. Just saying, be careful.

In respect to the mileage, we have service records from this vehicle for the two years that it was driven as a daily driver. There is an oil change sticker in the door from 1958 and one from 1960 that are only 10 miles away from eachother. The old lady told us her husband had the entire fleet serviced at the local sohio gas station. The state of Ohio has signed an affidavit certifying the mileage and last date of registration.

tha's cool. I mainly made my estimation based on the looks of the engine and without hearing the rest of the story. IE it only being driven two years before being garaged. That is awesome. There's a lot that could be learned from the originality of this car.

Guest jt54skylark
JT, be VERY VERY careful when cranking this car up. 322's are really bad for sticking valves causing bent push rods when they have been stored for a long time. And even after they have been ran, they still can stick due to the old carbon/oil deposits getting sticky. (See the testimonial picture in my signature) Considering your experience with other cars, I am sure you know some techniques to do to prevent this though. Just saying, be careful.

Very good point. I fired it up for less than 4 seconds and shut it off. It has not been run since. We are going to leave the rest to the purchaser. They are going to be getting an unmolested specimen. I know its hard to judge, but what is the market value on an original survivor '54

Thanks so much. I registered over there but I am waiting for a moderator to open my account.

yea, they're bout as slow as a herd of turtles stampedin through peanut butter over there.

I'll PM you my thoughts on value. It's gonna be a wide range though.

1954 buick engine were never painted red, nor does it looks like a rebuild paint job. it just looks like someone wanted to rattle can paint the engine red while it still mounted in the car, you can see overspray all over the engine. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

I also don't know that I ever knew that the Skylarks VIN had a 7 prefix. I would have thought it would be 100. I'd love to know the engine number, it should end with a # 7. I'd also like to know if the underside of the front and rear fenders looks to be original and if so what color are they. There is alway much discussion related to this subject.

I think the serial numbers all started with a 7 or had no series digit:

History! PLEASE READ-GUIDE TO '54 BUICK SKYLARK SHOWROOM

Which Atlanta plant produced the Skylark?

Guest jt54skylark

glad to see so much interest in this barn find. If anybody has any information about the continental kit please feel free to send it to me.

You have a very rare car,not only a survivor{nice}but a skylark,I dont know if you can put even a ball park figure on it,AIM HIGH!!I love survivors not many left,certainly not in that kind of shape!Hope it gets a good home mine did!!!!!!!! BEAUTIFUL RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MARK

Guest jt54skylark
You have a very rare car,not only a survivor{nice}but a skylark,I dont know if you can put even a ball park figure on it,AIM HIGH!!I love survivors not many left,certainly not in that kind of shape!Hope it gets a good home mine did!!!!!!!! BEAUTIFUL RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MARK

Thanks a bunch! This is truly a great find. I'm glad to see so many people appreciate it. We were very apprehensive on this purchase just because we are mopar people, and had very limited buick knowledge.

Guest jt54skylark
Why don't you suggest a price to the group, and get some opinions? heck, you might even sell it! Since you didn't start this out as a "for sale" post, we can talk about it.....

Ha that would be a good idea! I will talk to my father and see what he was thinking. I know he was on the "make an offer" plan right now since we are not avid buick folks. 85k?

All I can say is that how many 1954 BUick convertibles you see in good driver condition that are original....now add in that its a Skylark????

Can you say unicorn?

To someone who wants to restore it think low...for someone who wants to preserve it think freaking high cause they aint making any more original skylarks with a dammed continental kit that are in driver quality shape.

My suggestion is to be patient and market this car UNTOUCHED (not even cleaned) and see what offers come in...my bet somebody out there will pay very well for this.

Nice find....look forward to your arrival at the 54B site.

Original paint? Is that biscuit upholstery original? Chrome all original? Top original?

Someone did a spray job on engine, is that just cosmetic on top of valve covers?

I know we're shy about stating values, but if the paint and upholstery and top are original, and in good to very good condition, and the car hasn't been f'd with, then I think 65K to 75K is not out of the question.

Any of the above mentioned items not original, I'd subtract $5000 or more each, as, at some point, it's not a survivor, but a restoration candidate.

The top looks like a replacement, and my first glance at paint was "not factory".

Yes, the cars bring 100K plus, with a professional restoration. If this one has value, it has to be in originality, not condition.

All that said, great car and great find. My guess is you guys paid 30 to 35K, the range for a good 50's Buick convertible in decent shape, and seller didn't know Skylark from Meadowlark, and you're going to make some money....

Guest my3buicks

What a clunker, I am sure glad I have never found a rat like that in a barn - OK, I was only saying that out of total jealousy - fantastic find!!

SKYLARK;Look for "build sheets" I found mine under the front seat springs,one behind the driver under the carpet,and a different one inside the passenger corner molding.They also can be on top of the glove box,or radio.They can be found while gently looking and not "tearing the car apart".Most were thrown out at the factory,or later at the dealer.The oil change stickers are a plus to,also original sales documents,dealer badge,owners manual/warranty info{original owners name,dates}etc.etc. Any documentation is an added plus.You can also research paint and interior options on the internet available at that time.I found the hand written sheets{they were posted on the sides of the car as it moved down the assembly line}sometimes called "cheat sheets" for my 55. Mine was built at the Wilmington plant,spent it's entire life in Philadelphia Pa.My car is also a survivor,interior, carpet,paint.Upclose the paint has "issues" cracks crazing etc{57 years old}.Re- paints are easy to spot.Your car in the pics appears to me to be original,the question for the new owner leave it? Or restore? That is difficult.All I have heard is leave it alone,keep it in good repair,and maintained.I guess the next person can cross that road after i'm gone,I just don't want it to get chopped and dropped,frenched,and what ever else they do that they think looks good to them.Your sale may take time be patient.Every show i've taken mine to draws a crowd,as does any car that is original,people like to see them as they were,I hear it all the time.Maybe spend some time with her and make her a keeper,hoppin to GM is ok too!!!!!!!!!! MARK

post-71988-143139103413_thumb.jpg

post-71988-143139103443_thumb.jpg

post-71988-143139103469_thumb.jpg

The car will be for sale soon, as we only bought it to preserve such a rare car from falling into the wrong hands.

I have no problem with ya buying to re-sell it - but you really shouldn't "come off" like you are doing anyone a favor - maybe you are the wrong person since you bought it for a monetery gain

the next buyer yeah gets the car fine - but - the middle man is after one thing MONEY

I understand money make the world go 'round - but c'mon - don't come off like a hero

You said it, "you bought it to keep it from falling in the wrong hands"? So, are you saying, MONEY won't be the deciding factor?

Come on, nothing wrong with be a straight shooter, Just say it, YOU WANT ALL YOU CAN GET, nothing wrong with that, but to KEEP IT OUT OF THE WRONG HANDS, lol...

Dale in Indy

A car like anything else is only worth what the next person is willing to pay for it. Once you own it, it's not worth what you paid for it, but rather "What the next person is willing to pay for it". I am a sucker for '54's and most often pay a good deal more than what they're worth from sellers who aren't Buick folk. If I ever let it slip that I have another or two 54's I may as well hand them my wallet. But I've never been robbed by a true Buick guy, instead, I have gotten some great deals.

I pm'd the gentleman here and told him my thoughts on a fair price for buyer and seller, regardless of what he paid for it. Who knows what he paid for it and it doesn't matter. He would be wise to just keep it under his hat until he feels the market out, then hopefully offer it up here or put it on eBay and let it bring what it will. I lost out on a bicycle deal once when I was 6 years old by telling my neighbor about a bike down the street I was going to buy when I saved up enough allowance. He went to his dad and damned if he didn't buy it right out from under me. The words from my dad. " Son, always keep it under your hat 'til you have it in your hand"

I'll throw my offer in the hat. $30.000 as it sits. And a promise of a good home until my ashes are spread over Buick Garden. In my opinion, anybody elses hands other than MrE's would be the wrong hands. he he Good luck with the sale JT. buba.gif

Guest jt54skylark
I have no problem with ya buying to re-sell it - but you really shouldn't "come off" like you are doing anyone a favor - maybe you are the wrong person since you bought it for a monetery gain

the next buyer yeah gets the car fine - but - the middle man is after one thing MONEY

I understand money make the world go 'round - but c'mon - don't come off like a hero

please do not try to evaluate my situation with this car in such a negative light. I am only trying to share the buick history with those who are interested. There were a few buyers interested in the car, and one went so far as to diable the vehicle to deter other potential buyers while they were negotiating. The top is original, it has some defects. All interior and chrome is original as well, the pictures make some of the parts look better than they are. We are still on the fence debating a full restoration or continuing our efforts on our mopars, so please do not take us as a couple of guys just trying to make a buck.

Guest jt54skylark
Original paint? Is that biscuit upholstery original? Chrome all original? Top original?

Someone did a spray job on engine, is that just cosmetic on top of valve covers?

I know we're shy about stating values, but if the paint and upholstery and top are original, and in good to very good condition, and the car hasn't been f'd with, then I think 65K to 75K is not out of the question.

Any of the above mentioned items not original, I'd subtract $5000 or more each, as, at some point, it's not a survivor, but a restoration candidate.

The top looks like a replacement, and my first glance at paint was "not factory".

Yes, the cars bring 100K plus, with a professional restoration. If this one has value, it has to be in originality, not condition.

All that said, great car and great find. My guess is you guys paid 30 to 35K, the range for a good 50's Buick convertible in decent shape, and seller didn't know Skylark from Meadowlark, and you're going to make some money....

paint is very original. quite a few defects in it that would require attention. No rust/rot and no evidence of a respray. We spent quite a bit of time looking for them.

please do not try to evaluate my situation with this car in such a negative light. I am only trying to share the buick history with those who are interested. There were a few buyers interested in the car, and one went so far as to diable the vehicle to deter other potential buyers while they were negotiating. The top is original, it has some defects. All interior and chrome is original as well, the pictures make some of the parts look better than they are. We are still on the fence debating a full restoration or continuing our efforts on our mopars, so please do not take us as a couple of guys just trying to make a buck.

HA HA

you come off like an AD

outta curiosity - when you purchased this car from the little old lady - did you describe your intentions of re-selling it for profit?

if ya did - kudos for you

if not - did you use a line like "wow I've been looking a long time for one of these"......and then start pointing out all of the flaws in order chip away at the price

and since we are on the subject - what kinda person is "the wrong hands"?

my take are there are 3 kinds of people interested in a car like this....ones who'll restore it and ones who will enjoy as is......and then theres a third - a re-seller

no-one and i mean no one buys one of these to "hot rod", lowride etc

i see it all the time - sell it on ebay - obviously - your are mearly "priming the pump" here

My suggestion is to be patient and market this car UNTOUCHED (not even cleaned) and see what offers come in...my bet somebody out there will pay very well for this.

Fans of the show Chasing Classic Cars may note that Wayne Carini took a barn find, uncleaned and untouched to auction and did very well. I don't recall what vehicle it was, but was rare. Maybe this rare Skylark can get some serious cash too.

HA HA

you come off like an AD

outta curiosity - when you purchased this car from the little old lady - did you describe your intentions of re-selling it for profit?

if ya did - kudos for you

if not - did you use a line like "wow I've been looking a long time for one of these"......and then start pointing out all of the flaws in order chip away at the price

and since we are on the subject - what kinda person is "the wrong hands"?

my take are there are 3 kinds of people interested in a car like this....ones who'll restore it and ones who will enjoy as is......and then theres a third - a re-seller

no-one and i mean no one buys one of these to "hot rod", lowride etc

i see it all the time - sell it on ebay - obviously - your are mearly "priming the pump" here

Who cares!

Seriously man...I'm glad he shared it regardless of his intentions. Can't we just enjoy the pictures... And hey here is a novel idea maybe we help him out and they keep it and the Buick Club and AACA attract a new members because the helpers amoung us we're NICE to him. OMG!

Who cares!

Seriously man...I'm glad he shared it regardless of his intentions. Can't we just enjoy the pictures... And hey here is a novel idea maybe we help him out and they keep it and the Buick Club and AACA attract a new members because the helpers amoung us we're NICE to him. OMG!

My sentiments exactly Brian. Why all the crappy remarks, that's not typical from Buick enthusies. The guy comes here looking for help in evaluating a car and to express his excitement over finding an awesome true barn find and we act like a bunch of kids on the block that won't let the new guy play with us. There have been some remarks that could have just as well gone without saying.

Hopefully you'll post up some more pictures of this amazing car JT. I for one "just like the pictures"

Still waiting for your post over on the '54 Buick Highway too, I gawarantee you'll get the red carpet treatment over there.buba.gif