What did you do to your Reatta today? <ongoing thread>

SeanR

9 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

Swapped out the wiper switch with a brighter back lit one to better match the Headlight switch. The switch I replaced works great and is now offered at a great price on the Reatta buy/sell part of this forum.

Dave, do I have a spare wiper switch that is in good condition? I could dig around and find out but you know more about what spare parts I have than I do. :D

Now that's funny that I'm supposed to know what you have in inventory. Yes you do have one, as you bought a IPC, CRT, Headlight, Wiper Switch all those years ago. You are good. You could check by looking in that big box you have in the staorage area above your shop. It should be right next to that Teves unit... 

I am still looking for a controller for the climate control blend box.  I affixed the arm to cold for the summer but now would like to change to heat.  I have an 88 model.  

I have actually parked the car in the garage and am driving my other car here in Texas.  I take the 88 out every couple of weeks to run the engine and gives me time to clean the garage from my other projects.   

I have one that worked great and then "acted" up. When I swapped it out with a back stock one, I thought I would try it one last time. So while it was out I plugged it into the harness and it worked as it should. You can have it for $15.00 delivered which is basically freight.

My e mail is lemke1044@aol.com

Woo-hoo, after 3 years, I finally pulled the thermostat, yep, its been stuck open from Day 1. Its nice to have a little warm air blowing in the wintertime :)

Edit: Let me add.... when I went to put the gooseneck (a.k.a. "coolant outlet housing") back on with the new t-stat in the manifold, the gooseneck would not seat fully, about 1/8" gap. Thinking, sometimes these things need help, I used a wooden rod and tried to whack it down with a hammer. Ever so gently that is, I have the "touch" and know about how hard one can hit these things w/o inflicting harm. After several attempts, I decided to pull the new T-stat out and just try seating the gooseneck on the manif. without the t-stat present. Yep, it went right in, all the way, fully. The issue was a little rubber o-ring or seal, etc., on the gooseneck itself, where it interfaces with the t-stat. I removed that rubber, installed the t-stat. and voila, was a happy camper. Drove 80 miles and no leaks, its like the gentlemen said, that single bolt that holds the housing only needs be tightened "snug" and if the o-ring is doing its job, you have no worries. So, I suggest checking re-install that the housing goes onto the manif. easily, if it doesn't, the interference might be the o-ring that's internal to the gooseneck

Edited by ChrisWhewell (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 89RedDarkGrey said:

A nice investment- https://www.carid.com/covercraft/covercraft-seat-heater-490982076.html

Or- if you want a more "OEM" look, take your covers off, and install all of these-

BACK     BOTTOM    SWITCHPOD

89RedDarkGrey, why do all the links you posted take me to something called VIGLINK  ?     and why is all your text in such large font, is it your keyboard or are you wanting to ensure you have our attention or ? 

30 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

89RedDarkGrey, why do all the links you posted take me to something called VIGLINK  ? 

That's part of the advertising that keeps this website working. You'll have to talk to Peter Garipey about that. I have, however- disabled it on my end. Please- if you have trouble, follow these easy steps:

screen-02.thumb.png.d8c0c24265dcd599c27b31b2c9f3b8b3.png  screen-03.thumb.png.bde7d6d94c64c68914312a901fc18c22.png  screen-04.thumb.png.30c23c59143965c15cdd8284e62fb254.png  screen-6.thumb.png.5c35cfc64dab1149720cfe9c308fef2d.png  screen-05.thumb.png.e88b02a5427a5cebfa98cb6524c1e3a3.png 

39 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

and why is all your text in such large font, is it your keyboard or are you wanting to ensure you have our attention or ? 

No, I'm not trying to draw attention. I enlarge the Font so I can see what I'm typing. 30 years of diabetes, 10 years of glaucoma, and bad glasses. Sorry about that. No intended grandstanding here. I'll just use the regular Font from now on.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 89RedDarkGrey said:

No, I'm not trying to draw attention. I enlarge the Font so I can see what I'm typing. 30 years of diabetes, 10 years of glaucoma, and bad glasses. Sorry about that. No intended grandstanding here. I'll just use the regular Font from now on.

I for one actually liked it because of the blurry syndrome I have too :blink: ... You guys are great for a few laughs now and again.

Thanks

On 1/7/2018 at 5:33 PM, 89RedDarkGrey said:

I enlarge the Font so I can see what I'm typing. 30 years of diabetes, 10 years of glaucoma, and bad glasses. Sorry about that. No intended grandstanding here. I'll just use the regular Font from now on.

Do what you need to do to get by. A lot of us are living in "bonus time".  I have used up my nine lives

• Like 1

I continue to maintain my first Reatta after passing it on to my son-in-law who is less mechanically inclined. The engine was dying as soon as it reached operating temp. No codes set. Usually means Ignition Control Module or crank position sensor. Changed ICM with no improvement. Changed crankshaft position sensor and still it dies at about the same temperature.

Hhmmm...........

Put fuel pressure gauge on it.  Perfect fuel pump and pressure action. 45psi with key on then 36psi when engine runs (after cooling off again).

I have seen this problem several times.

TexasJohn55 mentioned a good troubleshooting idea using a timing light to watch the spark and detect a miss. I did this and sure enough it became erratic when it came up to temperature telling me that it was still either the ICM or CPSensor. Got another crank sensor at LAPS and once again it runs smooth.

The first "new" CPS had been kept in the trunk of the Reatta that I drive as a spare just in case I was stranded on the road somewhere.

So things could have been worse.................

• Like 1

Went to my closest PNP and they had a 1991 white/red Reatta coupe.  Most of the front was gone and the rear taillight. Got the vin 901343 and the car was from California.

The yard is about 20 miles from Fort Hood so it may have come to Texas with someone in the military.

The front parking lights were there and in good but not excellent condition, got them at what I thought was a high price....they measured the length and charged $1.61 per inch, never had that happen before.

Got 4 hub caps decent emblems but the paint is gone on all of them.  One good floor mat and one average.

Red steering wheel is pretty good has 16 was seats, drivers not too bad.

1 hour ago, Dashmaster said:

Change the OX sensor. Bad one will cause stalling when computer the goes into closed loop at warmup. You can unplug it to test. If car stays running the the OX sensor is bad.

That would be a good test for the MAF sensor too.

• Like 1

4 degrees and the wind chill about -10. Went "window shopping" at Gibson's just to see if anything new had come in. No luck. I also dropped off a box of "Moon Pies" [I kept the anniversary edition tin] as I don't like marshmellow. As the counter guy said "These guys will eat just about anything".

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

We almost hit 50 degrees to day so I did a quick hand wash on the Black today. Started to rain as I was drying it so I zipped it into the garage to finish...

That is funny since I did the same thing to mine a couple weeks ago when it got up to 55 and just as soon as I washed it that darn wind and rain started coming so I also pulled in the garage and finished drying if off. Unfortunately there was some dust that had been whipped up and was now clinging to the wet areas. I had to fetch a bucket and lightly wash/remove the dust and then dried it off the rest of the way...Too much work, all in good fun I guess! :D

Checked inventory of alternators and saw that I have three of them. One is marked with a bad bearing, the other two are quiet as I spin them by hand. The later two are now sitting on my workbench waiting for me to give them a try in the Black. I'm not driving many miles lately and most of these miles are local so I will install them one at a time and drive them for awhile. I will keep the one that I remove from the Black in the trunk "just in case"

I have noticed for some time that one of the rear brake lights on the driver's side was dim. I thoght maybe that the bulb socket had "unlocked" so I pulled the tail light. It was worse then that, the bulb had dislocated out from the base. Swapped out the bulb and all is good.

Still got to get to the alternator...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DShip said:

Go for it!  Got 5" of the white stuff yesterday so my '91 continues to be covered up in its igloo:(.

It was a great day for a drive. It was around 55 degrees. I just had on a tee shirt. A little cool with both windows down but it was nice with just the driver's window down. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Today it was about 55* here in Utah so I decided to tear into my Headlamp Switch since it was not working correctly. I thought it was either one of the contact rocker bars had fallen out of place or there was corrosion on the contacts. Turned out that it was both and since I had done this before (being my 4th time) over the years I decided to make a tutorial on it "1990 Headlight Repair Tutorial". Everything went smooth and in the end I now have a great working switch that should last at least another 5 years or more.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

It's been a week and at the risk of losing my reputation of working in the cold it is just that; too cold to swap out the alternators so they are still sitting on my work bench waiting for me to install...

You might make it living down south after all Dave. My number one rule for working in the cold weather is: "Don't do anything today that you can put off until tomorrow!" :lol:

Well tomorrow is the day. It will be a bit warmer [15-20 degrees] and mostly sunny. I have a couple of errands to run to get the car warmed up which will throw some heat while I swap out the alternator. I'll do one and run it for awhile to make sure it is good and then swap in the other. While I am "testing" I will keep the known good one in the trunk so I can do a swap if needed. 

3 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

Well tomorrow is the day. It will be a bit warmer [15-20 degrees] and mostly sunny. I have a couple of errands to run to get the car warmed up which will throw some heat while I swap out the alternator. I'll do one and run it for awhile to make sure it is good and then swap in the other. While I am "testing" I will keep the known good one in the trunk so I can do a swap if needed. 

sounds like a great day to move to florida.

Okay tried both of them, one works fine and is quiet. The other one, while it works fine has a bearing noise. The first one I tested is staying in the car, the other is going back into storage to wait for me to do the bearing or use it for parts. The one I had been using is in the trunk as a back up for a week or two until I am sure this replacement one is good.