the Nethercutt Car Collection

Willy

Has anybody been to this? It says you can't look at the cars in jeans or shorts - you must be dressed appropriately - what are you supposed to wear? Tuxes? Doesn't sound like it would be worth my time to rent a tux to see those cars/ Or would it?

Only the main salon showroom requires you to be dressed. It's worth it, hands down. I never dress, even for the awards dinner at ANY club, and I have no problem doing so for the Nethercut Collection. It's no place for small children. Go, as not many people get to see the main salon. Ed

By the way, you don't need a tux, country club "spiffy" is fine. No sneakers or T shirts. Sunday go to church from the old days is fine. Ed

Whatever they want you to wear is worth it to see what may be the BEST automobile collection in the world. Bob:)

Has anybody been to this? It says you can't look at the cars in jeans or shorts - you must be dressed appropriately - what are you supposed to wear? Tuxes? Doesn't sound like it would be worth my time to rent a tux to see those cars/ Or would it?

It is probably the finest eclectic collection in the world. What Steve said, I'd rent a tux to see it if I had to, but as been mentioned, just some nice casual clothes is all that is needed (casual in the real sense, NOT T-shirt/jeans as people seem to think today). At one time, they had a strict dress code, but they've relaxed it now.

I went there this fall, and some of the people in the group had jeans and tshirts on. Didnt get any flak.. Although we were the youngest people there.

The "research" library there is a joke, and the people running the place were rather rude and stuck up, but it was worth going! :)

I did sweet talk the guard in the main collection to let me sneak around and take pictures of their Gardner.. A '29 Gardner that they have incorrectly labeled as a '28...

Its best to make arrangements first, so you know you have a spot on the tour of the collection building.

Went there in 06. Next to the old Harrahs it is the best auto museum ever, and not just cars( mostly pre war and CLassics), a wonderful collection of huge wind organs and collectables. If you prefer the classic era over post WW2, it is the best. A wonderful tour of the restoration facilities is available as well.

On one of the cable car shows about 10 years ago (an earlier version of Meguiars "Car Crazy"?), they showcased that collection and Mr. Nethercutt (Merle Norman cosmetics). Back then, there was ONE weekend in the year that they'd get all of the cars out on the road for their annual picnic up the coast from where they are. THAT would be one parade worth seeing!

The dress code was mentioned, too, as the correct way to pay homage to the dignity of the vehicles involved. If it took a tux to get there, so be it!

I believe that Mr. Nethercutt passed a few years ago.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Yes Mr Nethercutt did pass away a few years back. I did have the honor of meeting him in person in the mid 90's. He was a very impressive individual and he was known to treat his employees very well.

I saw a great portion of his collection of automobiles before they were on display at the current building across the street from his factory. Most of his cars at the time were stored on the grounds of the factory and there was a large shop and full time staff dedicated to restoring and caring for his impressive collection. Some of his best cars were displayed in the salon of San Sylmar Museum, including the 20 Grand.

The museum across from the factory does not really have a dress code nor do you need to book in advance to see the car collection. I was there last summer in jeans, t-shirt and tennis shoes and I was let in without a second look. The one on the factory grounds does have a dress code, requires advance booking to get a spot on the tour and does not allow young children.

It must be close to 30 years ago that I was at Hershey when three guys stopped to look at the junk I was selling. One guy picked out 4 early Michalin tire valve stem covers, another picked up a Bosch horn, the older fellow had a Watson Stabilator in each hand and asked for a price on all three items. I came up with a total, and asked what they were going on. "The valve stem covers are for my American Underslung, the horn is for the Austro-Daimler, and these shocks a J Duesenberg, I'm Jack Nethercutt!" A month later he spent a million dollars for a Duesenberg that was at Harrahs. To this day I wonder if he bought it to put the Watson Stabilators on. Great guy, lived the American Dream, his collection is on my "Bucket List" Bob

It must be close to 30 years ago that I was at Hershey when three guys stopped to look at the junk I was selling. One guy (was) Jack Nethercutt!"

And at the time was he "properly attired;" at least sporting what we would today call business casual? :cool:

Guest ken bogren

Dress Code

As of today, 3/3/2012 on the visitor info page of the The Nethercutt website says No Dress Code for The Collection, but does say reservations are suggested because of the demand for space on the tours.

We visited the Museum a couple years ago and hope to visit again this summer. Last time we didn't get to the Collection, this time we are planning on it.

Edited by ken bogren (see edit history)

• 6 months later...