I need help identifying my husbands antique car

Guest wanda47

Guest wanda47

I have searched and cannot identify this car my husband has. The tag on the car in the picture has Fisher Body Corp Detroit , Michigan, Job No 31567, Body No K3403, Trim No 1, Paint No 72. The second picture of the dash board has Coronet on the plate. Any help is greatly appreciated.

post-83463-143138856197_thumb.jpg

post-83463-143138856247_thumb.jpg

post-83463-143138856292_thumb.jpg

post-83463-143138856335_thumb.jpg

post-83463-143138856378_thumb.jpg

Guest wanda47

Cause he doesn't know smartie :). I have tried to research it on the computer but I'm coming up with nothing. I saw online that this was the best place to get information from experts.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Wanda 47 got her answer. A 31 Pontiac Coupe with a 53 Dodge Corner dash,

a custom firewall, aftermarket wheels and tail lights. In other words, a street rod project.

It may not be a big hit on this Forum, but in the street rod world, a very interesting car.

Wanda 47, get your hubby to finish it an enjoy it together. The old car hobby is bigger than

just back to origina factory type restorations. He's off to a good start, encourage him to finish it.

Maybe the next one could be a restoration to original. It his choice.

Looks like the steering wheel also later than 1931, and possibly some chassis moodifications. The car must have an interesting history, and I would like to know if it came with radiator and shell, engine, etc. It might be impossible now to get in back to original, or even to what the person doing the first customizing had in mind. Possible was going to install a 50s Dodge engine. The reason I say that as it was some times easier in the 50s to the instruments from the enigine you were putting in your "hot Rod", than to buy a new set of SW or whatever. After all, if you took a pretty good engine from a wrecked body, you could get the instruments, interior bits, instruments for only a bit more then the engine. Hooking up a newer engine to 1930s instruments would not make sense either. That is my recollection of some 60 years ago. So that is my suggestion as to what this is - a 30s Pontiac or Chevy, and definately not a Buick.

John

• 2 months later...

It's a '31 Chevy-- The '31 Pontiac's had a different body moulding along the doors, below the windows. If the fenders haven't been filled in, the openings on top for the front fender lights aren't there either for the '31 Pontiac.