Siezed Engine Release

Guest Bob Call

I used Blaster from Advance Auto parts store. Put asmall amount in each cyclinder on a 42 Mercury that set 45 years. In three days I was cranking it with the starter. It sells by the gallon and has been very good on bolts and nuts on my 42 Continental that this V8 is in. Lee Waldren Fort Myers, Fl

I tried it on a single-cylinder engine, but the piston was at TDC, so there was little space to squirt the fluid. I did like their idea of using an impact driver on the crank to get it free. I think any "stuck-bolt" fluid (Kroil, PB Blaster, etc.) would do the same thing for less money.

Phil

Guest noncompos

Ag engines, often on equipment that sits unused for a good part of the year, seem particularly susceptible to sticking, often seriously, to say nothing re' an antique tractor that's been sitting along the fenceline or in the woods for fourty years...

Searching the Ag forums like ytmag or the tractor/old car truck forums on smokstak will bring up dozens, if not hundreds, of favorite recipes for soaking and/or tapping engines loose...

On old engines, where internal parts might be expensive if available at all, delicacy is sometimes better than excessive enthusiasm...

:) Have any of you tried a 50/50 mix of acetone and atf on stuck engines, and would it damage babbit bearings or aluminum pistons?

:) kaycee

John, I was amazed at what a acetone10-atf90 mixture did on seized brake drum, so I bet it would work great! I dare say it would not influence babbitt, either. That is not professional advise, however. Perry

Years ago I read of an English collector who was lucky enough to find an engine for a very rare car he was restoring. Unfortunately it had sat in the open for years with no hood or air filter.

He was overjoyed when he took it apart to find someone had poured a can of paint down the carburetor. The hardened paint sealed the engine, keeping out water and preventing rust.

Wonder how you would go about freeing that one? Lol

Guest Foggy norm

Hey Rusty, How-bout paint stripper, after letting it work use an air gun with a solvent.

The white vinegar make's sense with aluminium pistons and potmetal, it'll eat the corosion, the condition of the remaining piston present's a question.

I watched Corburn Benson use a Stanley steam car on a old tractor that had been sitting out in a field for years,it didn't take to long at all,he just hooked up a line to the engine block in the tractor and let it fill with hot steam once the block heated up they got the crank to turn.I'll PM him and will see if he can add anything to this tread

Yes Bill that worked real good,,The tractor had close fitting iron pistons,,,alloy pistons need more clearence than iron, so heating cooling is more effective on alloy piston engines,, I'LL get back and write more later,,,this comment will help me find thread,,Ben

All these methods work only on lightly seized engines. Any engine cylinder with considerable rust will need to come apart. I have had old stationary, tractor, auto, and industrial, engines that mice have had a field day in, and mouse urine is not kind to old iron. One that comes to mind was a McCormick - Deering 10-20. The mouse urine reacted with the iron piston and weakend it to the point that two wacks with a piece of hard wood, and hammer, and the top of the piston fell in. It turned the heavy cast to a weak gray color that you could break apart with your fingers sort of like breaking a Hersheys chocolate bar up, only softer. Dandy Dave!

I never tried this on a car engine but it works good on motorcycle engines ( H.D's1929 and before I.O.E engine's) after you disassemble the motor is to take out the top motor mount stud and pump grease into it, it will push the piston out,works the same as getting the pilot bushing out off the flywheel just more grease.

I also have to agree with Dandy Dave about the mouse **** as I have beat piston's out with a block only to have it break up

Be careful,,,the forces generated with greese gun are enormous,,,,get it out,,but can wreck barrell in the process,,,,If you think ,001 press fit vs,,,, ,001 clearence,,,,wow,, Add heat,,,,Ben

I used engine release on my Continental Durant motor that had not been run since the late 1960's. The engine was seized and would not budge. Used Redlead ( mixture used to clean gun bores) transmission fluid, Marvel Mystery Oil etc and nothing would work. Bought 3 cans of Engine Release, followed directions and waiting the appropriate time, and darn if the engine turned right over with a hand crank. Found I had two cylinders with water in them that had caused the engine to freeze. I for one swear by it that it works.

• 1 month later...
Guest Jim_Edwards
Hi,

I tried ATF and blaster, but no luck.

Next will be citric acid.

I'll keep you posted.

Pour CLR into each cylinder and let it sit overnight, should bust the rust ridge and free the engine. CLR won't damage anything!

No need to worry about bore damage from any of these methods of busting the rust ridge because being stuck will almost always signal the need for a boring job and probably new pistons if boring goes beyond using oversize rings to make up for greater diameter cylinder bores.

Pour CLR into each cylinder and let it sit overnight, should bust the rust ridge and free the engine. CLR won't damage anything!

What is CLR?

One idea I had for freeing an engine (but haven't tried) is to install an in-hose coolant heater to warm the block so it expands a bit.

What is CLR?

One idea I had for freeing an engine (but haven't tried) is to install an in-hose coolant heater to warm the block so it expands a bit.

CLR=calcium, lime and rust remover. It's a brand name.

Guest Jim_Edwards

There really is no such thing as a magic bullet that is going to free a seized up engine, particularly if it hasn't been turned over for months or years. One that has resisted the simple methods is going to require the crankshaft be pulled and more than likely the pistons beaten out. In any event there is going to be a ridge and pits in each cylinder that can only be properly dealt with with a boring machine if the engine is ever to be right.

Hi,

Good news!! :D

The piston (1947 Evinrude 1 1/2 HP outboard) came loose today.

I used the following potions:

ATF, PB Blaster, Castle Thrust, Kano Kroil and CLR, in that order.

The next thing would have been to get some dry ice for the inside of the piston.

The bad news is that I didn't clean out between applications, so don't know what did the job. Sorry, but I'm guilty of conducting the experiment with bad controls.

Good luck.:)

post-30916-143138828241_thumb.jpg

Guest real550A

I used to use the ATF/kerosene mix, until an old farmer told me that SeaFoam works better.

I tried it on a stuck diesel tractor engine last Spring and it worked quickly. Put an inch in the

cyls. and left it overnight. The flywheel turned the next day. Others had pulled this tractor in gear to no avail.

Seafoam is an ant-gel you add to gasoline usually when you put a small motor to rest for the winter. Otherwise come spring the gasoline will start to turn into varnish and cause lots of problems.Works great as a preliminary carb cleaner when your motor won't idle or... before you take the carb apart, usually does the trick running some of this through the system. Sounds like a great idea for a stuck engine I will have to give it a try. I have been doing some research for the thinnest liquid or lowest viscousity fluidl out there. The idea is to get the fluid to seep around the rings through the corrosion to aid in freeing up the pistons.