"Hawaii 5-0" episode with old cars

keiser31

The "tube" is on in the background. A scene comes up with a guy working with a big drill under the hood of about a 1930 Packard phaeton. In the background is a 1928 or 1929 Ford A phaeton. The murderer shows up driving a 1950 DeSoto four door sedan. I LOVE these early TV shows.

Guest stephen48

The old black & white TV series "The Untouchables" had a lot of authentic looking cars of the twenties and early thirties in it.

The cars were the main reason for watching!

Bogart's "All Through the Night" is a 1940-1941 Buick love fest. Wow. The movie is not very good but the large Buick Sedans more than make up for the low quality.

"It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" (1963) contains tons of great location shots with 1950s-1960s autos. Great Stuff. Recently seen an episode of Kolchak the Night Stalker. Lots of 1960s-1970s cars.

TM

"It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" (1963) contains tons of great location shots with 1950s-1960s autos. Great Stuff.

This movie is one of the top 10 comedies in the history of motion pictures in my opinion. I was 11 years old when it came out and it's the first movie I remember seeing in a theater.... :)

post-59416-143138712807_thumb.jpg

post-59416-143138712808_thumb.jpg

post-59416-14313871281_thumb.jpg

post-59416-143138712811_thumb.jpg

post-59416-143138712812_thumb.jpg

post-59416-143138712814_thumb.jpg

post-59416-143138712815_thumb.jpg

Mad Mad Mad World is one of my all time favorite movies. I can't tell you how many times I've seen it, but at least once and probably twice a year since it came out. Love the cars, but sure hate to see them wrecked and they wrecked a lot of them.

I have seasons 1-8 of the original Hawaii 5-0, great cars from the 60's and 70's in that. There's one LTD they use that's just like mine. I've always wanted a '68 Park Lane like Steve McGarrett's and have read the story of the car on the internet. It still exists.

Another show with lots of beautiful old vehicles is Pan Am set in 1963. They did make a mistake the other night though. A character referred to a car as a Bentley and it was clearly a Rolls Royces. Flying Lady mascot and RR on the radiator shell. :rolleyes::D

They screwed up way more than that. Shortly after the young pilot, Dean? announces it is 1963, they show a 1964 Chevy and 1967 Lincoln multiple times plus some others including a 1969 Mustang! Really, how hard can it be to just not use anything made after 1963? They have to pay for the wrong cars the same as they would for correct ones.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

Is this the R-R in Pan Am? - IMCDb.org: unknown in "Pan Am, 2011"

The first episode of The Kennedys played here the other night. It was very noticeable that the Kennedy family car that was used to ferry family members in the preWW2 and during WW2 scenes was a post WW2 Bentley Mk 6 or R type - like the one in the Pan Am scene above.

There are heaps of old cars in some very old and not so old movies here - http://www.imcdb.org/ - use the search page. There are still plenty cars yet to be identified. Try this one - http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_444622.html

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

Then there was 'Crime Story" set in the early 60's. The opening credits were AAAWWWWSSSOOOMMMEEE. It had a 61 Chrysler(300 or New Yorker) convertible doing slaoms/drifting in the streets of Vegas. It was to short lived only 3 seasons.

There were other cars as well.............

I liked Crime Story too. It lost something when the moved the setting from Chicago to Las Vegas though. Unfortunately they also seemed to destroy at least one antique car per episode. Mad, Mad,...World is one thing as the cars they destroyed were not antiques when the movie was made. Just used cars. But destroying fully restored antiques always pi$$es me off. Crime scene was at least set in the time period of the cars destroyed, but I really hate when there is no time period or reason for the destroyed car to be an antique.

Pan Am did some damage to the Cadillac and Ford in the pilot, but at least they are repairable. Didn't see anything destroyed in Playboy Club either, but there are 3 episodes that will never be seen.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

Makes me wonder if the owner of the Cadillac used in the wedding escape scene had any clue what the plans were for their car? A couple mistakes but overall, though, I think the attention to detail in that series is not bad. My guess is the creators were not even around in the 60s... The global setting allows for some interesting cars.

CT is trying to lure the movie industry here via tax breaks, etc. but I think I will pass on any offers to rent my car out...

Oh yeah, +1 on "it's a mad mad mad mad world!' :D

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Not too long ago I saw an episode of Hazel where she bought a Model T for $25 from a elderly couple. The owners rarely used it and it sat in their garage for the most part according to the story. I believe it was a 1917 and in very good shape.

Ah memories! Although The Untouchables had a great line up of cars. The trucks seem to always be much newer than the late 20s story time line. Mid to late 30s Mack,IHC, Dodge, Ford etc.

The Donna Reed show had the husband restoring a brass era car and racing it with a neighbors similar vintage car,believe it was a steamer.. Also similar story line on "Dennis The Mennis" "Nanny and The Professor" she aquires a derilect 1930 Model A Phaeton and has it restored over the course of about a week. Family project? Jerry VanDyke's "My Mother the Car"the 1928 "Porter" disguised 27 model T. Of course "The Real McCoys" and their 1930 A Phaeton daily driver. And how about the Clampet's 1920 Olds truck. Also show cased early 60sChrysler products.

Memories!

"Hawaii Five-0" is one of my favorite shows for spotting cars. Don't forget those wonderful cars on "The Beverly Hillbillies". "Hogan's Heroes" was another favorite. I remember some time in the early to mid 1970's "Old Cars Weekly" had an article on the cars featured in "Hogan's Heroes". I have contacted them several times to see if they can locate the article but no one ever replies.

Makes me wonder if the owner of the Cadillac used in the wedding escape scene had any clue what the plans were for their car? A couple mistakes but overall, though, I think the attention to detail in that series is not bad. My guess is the creators were not even around in the 60s... The global setting allows for some interesting cars.

CT is trying to lure the movie industry here via tax breaks, etc. but I think I will pass on any offers to rent my car out...

Oh yeah, +1 on "it's a mad mad mad mad world!' :D

I would think they would have bought the Cadillac or made arrangements in advance for repairs. I can't imagine they would just smash it up while the owner stood there unaware of its fate, but who knows?

The first episodes seemed pretty good with period correct stuff. But as it continues, they seem to be getting more lax and sloppier. Playboy Club was a lot worse as far as getting the correct period stuff, not just cars, but set decor, wardrobe and makeup, music.

a couple of days ago I saw the last half hour of the 1983 movie 'sahara' staring brooke shields. in the desert race sequence there are maybe a half dozen pre '30s cars... driven very hard. either they were well constructed props or the real thing. made me wince and cringe. maybe they have survived. (and than again... maybe not.)